New M3X compared to TK35 and Stanley HID pics

blub

Enlightened
I got a new Olight M3X today and wanted to compare them to a couple of other bright lights. The M3X is a very good thrower compared to these and the TK35 and Stanley HID are no slouches. These pictures give you a good idea of the brightness but should have been exposed a little longer because even though the TK35 looks wimpy, those trees were lit up, especially by the M3X! The M3X has a big hot spot, not just a pointy little beam. No need to carry around a huge HID! You can see the pollen in the air, these were taken at 125 yards, 1 sec @f2.8. I threw in another shot of helicopter circling about a mile away just for fun. That was taken at 15 seconds at f2.8.

CONTROL

control-2.jpg

FENIX TK35

tk35.jpg

STANLEY HID

StanleyHID.jpg

OLIGHT M3X

OlightM3X.jpg

HELICOPTER

IMG_1005.jpg

Last edited:

warmurf

Enlightened
Very much! What is the rated lumens for the M3X? Would you say it's brighter than the Fenix, or is it that is throws better but the Fenix has more spill? I would have expected the Stanley to be brighter considering it's a 35W HID??

easilyled

Flashaholic
The Fenix TK35 is not what I'd classify as a "dedicated thrower" and has a much smaller reflector than the M3X.
Its overall output is probably the same though.

blub

Enlightened
Very much! What is the rated lumens for the M3X? Would you say it's brighter than the Fenix, or is it that is throws better but the Fenix has more spill? I would have expected the Stanley to be brighter considering it's a 35W HID??

The Fenix lights up a huge area, can't tell from the pictures but those trees were lit! M3X is about 700 lumen and it also is very bright but a tighter beam. I was let down by the HID, it's bright but not that impressive.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The Fenix TK35 is not what I'd classify as a "dedicated thrower" and has a much smaller reflector than the M3X.
Its overall output is probably the same though.

I like a little more flood but not if it is green.

nodoubt

Banned
u got a bad sick stanley if thats all its got........
it should tromp that lil black batton by about 4 times..........

easilyled

Flashaholic
I like a little more flood but not if it is green.

Whether its green or not depends on the lottery of the led, not the fact that its a Fenix TK35. You could wind up with a "greenish" tint in any light with a fairly new emitter or an emitter with the latest bin.

blub

Enlightened
u got a bad sick stanley if thats all its got........
it should tromp that lil black batton by about 4 times..........

After it kicks down that's all it puts out. My other hid isn't much better, my 15mil. incan spotlight is way brighter. You would be amazed at the M3X, or maybe you wouldn't.:D I am though. These were taken at 10 ft. I have no need to lug around those other lights when the M3X performs like this.

15 MCP INCAN SPOT....Olight M3X......Stanley HID......ETEK HID
IMG_1024.jpg

Last edited:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Although it's a little after the fact, wanted to say thanks for the pics. I'm considering the M3X and these were helpful. I know it's a lot of work to get good beamshots.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Now I need to see the M3X next to the BC40 and TK41 when it comes out. If Fenix ANSI throw numbers for the TK41 are accurate (which I doubt 50K lux - really?) the TK41 might be the most popular flashlight in years.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Now I need to see the M3X next to the BC40 and TK41 when it comes out. If Fenix ANSI throw numbers for the TK41 are accurate (which I doubt 50K lux - really?) the TK41 might be the most popular flashlight in years.

I would agree that those numbers seem dubious. The head on the TK41 is basically the same size as the M3X so I doubt it has superior performance to any large degree.