Small brands?

Thomas Carey

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about you all but I like buying products from small family run brands. Given that fact what brands would you suggest I look at for a small single or double cell LED light?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff, HDS, and Peak are the ones I can think of.

Lots of custom light makers would certainly qualify if you're interested in taking that route.

How big is 4sevens?

--flatline

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on Malkoff, HDS, & Peak. I have several of each, and each light is of the highest quality. I've never had an issue with any of these lights, but I hear the customer service on all three is second to none.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
+1 on Malkoff, HDS, & Peak. I have several of each, and each light is of the highest quality. I've never had an issue with any of these lights, but I hear the customer service on all three is second to none.

I too like to give my money to the small guys when the product is exceptional and especially when the customer service is "second to none". I agree completely with Malkoff, and HDS, however, I have been trying to buy a peak for quite a while. Im not going to mention the website ( :dedhorse: ) but I have sent several emails and PMs to peak and even posted in his dedicated thread and I have yet to get a response. This is over the course of weeks. Either way busy, or doesnt want my money. Not sure which. :shrug:

I do love my Malkoff and HDS products as well as their support. :thumbsup:

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Malkoff, HDS, and Peak are the ones I can think of.

Lots of custom light makers would certainly qualify if you're interested in taking that route.

How big is 4sevens?

--flatline

Good question
How big exactly is 4sevens?

flashflood

Enlightened
Look seriously at the Peaks.

Or rather, look carefully. Maybe their stuff used to be good, but I bought their new Ural HA for $94 and it is junk. Detailed review with pics in the Peak LED forum.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened

+ for HDS and Peak! I'll have to take a serious look at Malkoff - didn't know they fit this category!

carrot

Flashaholic
LRI which makes the Photons is a family-run business. I met the son of the owner and he loves flashlights just as much as dad.

choombak

Enlightened
Or rather, look carefully. Maybe their stuff used to be good, but I bought their new Ural HA for $94 and it is junk. Detailed review with pics in the Peak LED forum.

There stuff, with an exception of the Ural, is still good. IMHO, the innovation in the LED industry has come to a saturation for now. You already have enough light for almost all dark purposes, so adding more is not going to buy you much. Smaller, brighter, efficient in the LED has to be matched with a similar innovation in the battery industry - there is none. Almost all offerings in the last 6 months or so are pure junk (the only new thing they offer is maybe a good looking design, or different metals, or a combination of both). Now multiply this with another 10 new brands, and you have a saturated industry, with nothing better on offer. Probably one reason why you feel Peak lights are no good, or they have become slow at releasing products. I would actually like not releasing a product, when there is nothing new to offer, than jumping on the "me too" bandwagon. I had a chat with some of the Chinese manufacturers, and almost all of them are putting R&D $$ in bringing the XM-L based lights in the market.

Peak still makes very good, durable, and "works when you need it" lights. I am a very happy Matterhorn, and Eiger customer.

-Amarendra