Saved By a Parent

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Reading the story here, I was reminded of a time, almost before my long term memory kicked in.

Dad was working on a car that was parked in front of another car. Just as I wondered between the two cars, the jack gave out, moving the cars together. Dad didn't hesitate to put his leg between the bumpers, stopping the cars and saving my tiny body from being crushed between tons of moving car.

What super parent acts have you seen or experienced?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad let my stroller go for a few seconds when I was aby...he turned around and the stroller I was in had managed to get a push from a gust of wind, and had proceeded to speed down a slope towards a waterfall with a 50' drop...my dad ran towards me and grabbed me and the stroller just before it was able to go over the edge.

When I was about 13-14, I wondered off to where the pool started sloping...then I realized I couldn't really swim...I started to panic once my feet couldn't touch the bottom, but my brother came over and saved me...almost drowning has to be the worst feeling in the world. The same brother that saved me when I was choking on a pinto bean. Once a family member saves your life like that, you forever indebted to them.

We weren't "dumb" kids, we we're just overly adventurous...we we're too poor for the video game systems at the time, so we we're always outside playing/doing.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never in my memory. My parents were the cause of my problems, not the solution.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember this, but, I've been told this a few times by my brothers. Back when I was three or four I was playing in a sand box next to our house and my brothers saw a rattlesnake slither out of the bushes towards me. We were all too young to know any better and I was too young to know the danger. My older brother started screaming and my dad ran out of the house with a shovel after hearing the commotion outside and he hacked it to pieces right in front of me.

Not quite a parent, but, my nephew once tried to run out into a busy street when he was about four years old and I just grabbed him by his collar and wheeled him back in as he was leaping off the curb.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Not quite a parent, but, my nephew once tried to run out into a busy street when he was about four years old and I just grabbed him by his collar and wheeled him back in as he was leaping off the curb.

Done that once or twice with Mrs Guru :D

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread. I'm in parent prime time with a 1 year old son and 7 year old daughter. Just a few days ago, I had forgotten to put the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs while the boy was crawling all over. I glanced into the living room and didn't see him and suddenly knew exactly where he was, crawling 3/4 of the way up the stairs to the second floor. As I ran up the stairs, he looked back over his shoulder and toppled backwards right into my arms. Chills me to the bone thinking of what happened if I were a few seconds late. Or if I were still oblivious in the kitchen and heard him fall down the stairs.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
My dad has helped me out a ton in my life. Nothing quite as spectacular as between two cars, but showing up when I have had run ins with the law in my younger years, and saved me from arrest. :D

Also, my dad kep me on the right path, when I coulda easily gone WAY off course. So, yes, he has saved my @$$ more than twice!