Need some advice... Converting a vintage 2D Ray-o-vac to Led

Kirbot

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Ray-o-vac light that I've been wanting to convert to an LED for a little while now.

I don't need it to be extremely bright or anything, I just like the light and wan't to make it a bit more useful.
I have a Fenix Ld20, and since getting that, all my other lights just seem downright pathetic.

It looks like one of the conversion kits mean't for Maglights would work, and should be simple enough to use, but I just wanted to here your input before buying anything.

Would something like this be a good choice?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I9TI4Q/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Walterk

Enlightened
Can't tell. The pics doesn't show the bulb assembly from all sides.
The idea is sound for an easy upgrade. (Not cheap though, better check Ebay?)
Length of the bulb may differ, but that can be solved probably, inserting it more or less in the reflector.
Dont expect to much. At least improved runtime.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
!

Please delete. Double Post. My bad....

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just gave me an idea. I have been using a light just like that for 20 or more years in the garage to find things. I just checked. It has a PR bulb--so that LED should just drop right in. I don't know how bright it will be, but my light is quite dim--it will have to be an improvement! Thanks for the idea!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the Nite Ize half Watt PR flange drop-in. It makes about 20 lumens on fresh batteries, about what the stock incan bulb makes. It's perfect if you're after super long run times, but, not if you're looking for more light. Plus, on the few non-MagLites that I've tried it on the focus just isn't right with that particular drop-in. The one to get costs twice that, but, is twice the output at approximately 40 lumens. It's the Nite Ize 1 Watt PR flange drop-in which has a smaller acrylic dome. That one focuses well in all of the non-MagLites that I've tried it in and should work well in your light.