Flashlight for a boat

owkaye

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is my first post. I have a boat with a 12v battery in it, I want to make a flashlight which is wired to this 12v power source, I want the light to be very bright, and I want to build it as inexpensively as practical.

I've never built a homemade light before so I can use all the help and suggestions you're willing to offer. Note that I do not have a way to charge the battery when I'm out on the water, so I want to conserve as much power as possible -- given my two primary goals of "very bright light" and "reasonably affordable".

Please make suggestions if you can. I'm willing to learn as much as necessary before I start on this project. Thanks in advance.

Owkaye

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to conserve as much power as possible -- given my two primary goals of "very bright light" and "reasonably affordable".
M*gCharger is one of rechargeable flashlights that can be charged with 12 Volt system with many possible modification and upgrades.

Most of following links are sold out but at least give you some idea.

M*G CHARGER TURBO BOOST KIT

M*G CHARGER CERAMIC BI-PIN SLUG

M*g Charger Aluminum Cammed Reflector

5C M*gCharger

M*g Charger 2.5" Throw Master

12AA M*gCharger

6xA M*gCharger

owkaye

Newly Enlightened
M*gCharger is one of rechargeable flashlights that can be charged with 12 Volt system with many possible modification and upgrades.
I may not have been as clear as I should have in my first post, so please let me rephrase ...

I have a 12 foot long wire with two conductors. I want to connect one end of this wire to a flashlight, and the other end to my 12v boat battery. I want to build this myself, and since I am interested in extreme economy I want to begin with a cheap flashlight body, something like this:

Rayovac_3ledflashlight.jpg

Then I want to replace the stock bulb with a really bright 12v bulb (or several bulbs) so I can identify floating obstacles from a long distance, and so I can signal other boaters and warn them off -- so they do not hit me when motoring too fast at night.

It seems to me that the easiest way to do this would be to install a 12v bulb that's very bright. I'll have plenty of space inside the flashlight body to work with since no internal batteries are required.

Is there a 12v bulb recommended for this type of cheap mod? If not, what might you suggest that would give me the results I'm seeking? Should I go with a LED system?

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
hi owkaye

the problem with the very bright bulb is the amount of heat that it'll produce, so a plastic reflector (and body) like the royovac light you posted would melt.

Our family has a boat too, we have a search light based on an old car front light. have you considered this? You could easily add a handle to an old round reflector out of an old car (ours is based on an old Volvo front light, made by hella. We've added the handle of a rasp, and added a switch).

I don't have access to it at the moment, so I cannot make a picture of it.

donn_

Flashaholic
Maybe you should consider two different lights; one as a marker light, and one as a spotter.

I don't know where you boat, but in most, if not all US waters, you are required to have a variety of nav lights when operating your boat in darkness. You need (if your boat is over a certain length and under power) a running light (red to port, green to starboard and white to stern). When you are at anchor or drifting, you need a white light visible around 360° . To be honest, no matter what the size or power of your boat, I would suggest this combination. There is a wide variety of solutions available, ranging from battery powered single units to individual light fixtures wired to your 12V battery. I've even seen them as kerosene lanterns with painted globes. A description of your boat would be helpful.

About the cheapest effective spotting light would be a Maglight (2D or 2C) with a metal reflector, borofloat glass lens, and bi-pin adapter with a 12V lamp. Wire it as you mentioned.

Walterk

Enlightened
I think you would prefer some throw, rechargable, and a charger (for cells or onboard battery) on 12v.

owkaye

Newly Enlightened
Sounds to me your looking for a hand held spotlight.
Yes, sort of ... but the ones you suggested are commercial products and I'm sure they will be very costly compared to the amount I want to spend. I'm going for something really inexpensive, which typically means "build it yourself" ... :)

owkaye

Newly Enlightened
the problem with the very bright bulb is the amount of heat that it'll produce, so a plastic reflector (and body) like the rayovac light you posted would melt.
I thought the heat might be a problem, but I don't know how much heat is produced by 12v bulbs that can project a spot a long distance.

Our family has a boat too, we have a search light based on an old car front light. have you considered this?
I have now that you mentioned it! But wouldn't this type of light draw down a battery quickly? I was thinking that I would need a smaller light source in order to use it for a few hours without running down my battery.

owkaye

Newly Enlightened
I think you would prefer some throw ...
I'm new here, so this may be a foolish question but what do you mean by the term "throw"?

... rechargable, and a charger (for cells or onboard battery) on 12v.
Actually I just want to keep this simple and cheap. I thought I could find a cheap but tough little flashlight then put a 12v bulb in it ... and turn it into a really bright little light that's tethered to the battery I already have in my boat.

owkaye

Newly Enlightened
... if your boat is over a certain length and under power ...
It's just a small fishing dory that I row around or power via a small trolling motor. The only reason I have the battery in the boat is for the trolling motor, and I don't use it much. So I figured I could use the battery to power a reasonably bright flashlight by marrying a cheap but sturdy little flashlight body with a new 12v bulb and a length of wire connecting the two.

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Converting a 6 volt lantern might work,, installing a 12 volt bulb, hard wiring with alligator clips, foam on the base to keep it stable and velcrow straps also.

owkaye

Newly Enlightened
Converting a 6 volt lantern might work,, installing a 12 volt bulb, hard wiring with alligator clips, foam on the base to keep it stable and velcrow straps also.
This sounds like it might work. I know nothing about 12v bulbs, are there some that are preferred or recommended for this kind of modification? Should I convert to LED or just go with something like a Krypton bulb? Sorry about the detailed questions, I'm really new to all this and I'm trying my best to learn anything that's necessary to come up with a good solution.

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Looking in a flyer here.
2-million candlepower spotlight, AC and DC chargers included. Save 70% now $9.48. How can you beat that? Use it on battery first then DC. LED will give longer run times so if you can find something like this in LED all the better.

owkaye

Newly Enlightened
Looking in a flyer here.
2-million candlepower spotlight, AC and DC chargers included. Save 70% now $9.48. How can you beat that? Use it on battery first then DC. LED will give longer run times so if you can find something like this in LED all the better.
Hi nightcacher,

Where might I be able to see a flyer like yours? Does the seller have a website? I agree, it's going to be pretty hard to beat $9.48 for a light like the one you described.

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Sent you the link via PM. Check your inbox.
NC
edit: reading the reviews the 9.48 one has very mixed reviews, so go from there. Google 12 portable spotlight.

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
It's just a small fishing dory that I row around or power via a small trolling motor. The only reason I have the battery in the boat is for the trolling motor, and I don't use it much. So I figured I could use the battery to power a reasonably bright flashlight by marrying a cheap but sturdy little flashlight body with a new 12v bulb and a length of wire connecting the two.

The first thing you need to do is check local regulations for lighting a vessel at night. If you do not operate within these regulations, and cause damage to a million-dollar yacht, you will be held responsible for the damages.

Then, you need to consider what your personal safety is worth with regard to lighting your vessel at night.

I live on the water, and see or hear of several fatal or near-fatal accidents every year, which involve unlighted small boats.

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
I thought the heat might be a problem, but I don't know how much heat is produced by 12v bulbs that can project a spot a long distance.

I have now that you mentioned it! But wouldn't this type of light draw down a battery quickly? I was thinking that I would need a smaller light source in order to use it for a few hours without running down my battery.

Voltage doesn't matter, if you want it bright, it'll get hot (and consume a lot of power). I think you actually need two lights (or one with two bulbs). What about this:

1. Search light (throw, small bright spot), based on an old car (or maybe motorcycle) light, as I mentioned above.
2. Work light, based on something smaller, maybe the already mentioned work lights, that come with cordless drills, also wired to your battery. the work light should be more floody, so you can see things, and won't blind yourself.

What battery do you have, and how long do you want to use the search light? I use mine only for very short times (checking a landing stage,..)

Latest posts