T20C2 MKII XM-L T6... 700 Lumens?

belomeclone

Enlightened
So, I finally got enough money for the flashlight, and I see this on pre-order. There seems to be nothing different about it.. XM-L emitter, same body, etc. But now instead of 580 lumens it is rated at 700 lumens. Unlike the 580 lumens one, this one is a pre-order.

So, what the hell is going on.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Yea, I see that. Dang, and I just bought one! Oh well. The 580 lumen drop-in is only 28 bucks, so I'll probably just get one when they're available. They must be driven harder is my guess. Runtimes will probably be lower when they finally publish them.

belomeclone

Enlightened
So are you thinking they are replacing the XM-L driver with a new one, so the 580 one will no longer exist?

And, the runtimes are listed at 1.2 hours

http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-3-6981

But I am pretty sure it will be more like 40 minutes. I am not sure if I like that, but since EagleTac's battery life is always shoddy, maybe they have fixed something for this release? *is hoping madly*

mrlysle

Enlightened
Yea, the runtimes will definitely be lower. I don't know if they'll do away with the current driver, or it will always be available as an optional drop-in. Seems to me, they would just update to the newer one and quit making the lower output one. I'll definitely get the updated one though, and keep the older one for a "spare". I'm using AW 2900 flat-top cells in mine, with a magnet, and they seem like really good cells.

belomeclone

Enlightened
1. Where do you get the magnets? Can you charge them with the magnet on?

2. I guess with a high enough capacity battery the battery life wouldn't suffer much. I am not sure what to do now, I was excited for this flashlight but now I am unsure if it is worth waiting for.

Edit: 3. It does seem like the older model is completely gone. I wonder if I should just buy it. They ship out this Monday!!

Last edited:

belomeclone

Enlightened
This may seem like a very stupid question, but is the Eagletac-Usa site reliable?

Rod911

Enlightened
When was the last time you viewed that website?

I had a look at the provided link and it mentions 720 lumens and 580 ANSI lumens. The former must be emitter lumens and the latter, of course, is ANSI rated and tested.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Hey guys, I've been in an unnecessarily long banter with eagletac-usa.com, where I have the latest XM-L drop-in on pre-order... My order was delayed, and when pushed on the issue they revealed:

"[FONT=&quot]The original XM-L drop-in is being upgraded from the C1500 to the C2000 light engine. The difference will be more output at a cost of a little runtime.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 430L to 460L OTF and 550L to 580L at the emitter."

... Andd looking at their website for the new T20C2, its rating says "[/FONT]
Rated at an incredible 720 lumens with 580 ANSI FL-1 Lumen. ".... Whatever ANSI FL-1 lumens are....[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hey guys, I've been in an unnecessarily long banter with eagletac-usa.com, where I have the latest XM-L drop-in on pre-order... My order was delayed, and when pushed on the issue they revealed:

"[FONT=&quot]The original XM-L drop-in is being upgraded from the C1500 to the C2000 light engine. The difference will be more output at a cost of a little runtime.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 430L to 460L OTF and 550L to 580L at the emitter."

... Andd looking at their website for the new T20C2, its rating says "[/FONT]
Rated at an incredible 720 lumens with 580 ANSI FL-1 Lumen. ".... Whatever ANSI FL-1 lumens are....[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

So we're down from 700 lumens to 460 lumens? We need a spherist

mrlysle

Enlightened
I think the higher number they show is emitter lumens at start up and it's just to get your attention. The lower/Ansi figure is more real world and meaningful. Obviously they upped the current delivered by the driver to get output closer to what everyone wants to see from the XM-L, so runtime will have to suffer from what was stated for the first T20C2 MK II XM=L model, which I just got a couple weeks ago from IlluminationGear. The magnets and AW 2900's I got from Lighthound. You can charge them with the magnets still attached as long as they will physically fit in the charger. (not too long)

afdk

Newly Enlightened
So are you thinking they are replacing the XM-L driver with a new one, so the 580 one will no longer exist?

And, the runtimes are listed at 1.2 hours

http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-3-6981

But I am pretty sure it will be more like 40 minutes. I am not sure if I like that, but since EagleTac's battery life is always shoddy, maybe they have fixed something for this release? *is hoping madly*

:ohgeez:Run Time
Run Time is defined as the duration of time from the initial light output value – defined as 30 seconds after the point the device is first turned on – using fresh batteries, until the light output reaches 10% of the initial value. This is from the
ANSI/NEMA FL 1 Standards. Thought this would interest you.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think the higher number they show is emitter lumens at start up and it's just to get your attention. The lower/Ansi figure is more real world and meaningful. Obviously they upped the current delivered by the driver to get output closer to what everyone wants to see from the XM-L, so runtime will have to suffer from what was stated for the first T20C2 MK II XM=L model, which I just got a couple weeks ago from IlluminationGear. The magnets and AW 2900's I got from Lighthound. You can charge them with the magnets still attached as long as they will physically fit in the charger. (not too long)
Would u still need magnets with a button top battery?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened
The New XM-L LED 2.1amp Circuit delivers 4 levels of output - 720 Lumen TURBO "BOOST" for three minutes, then drops to 1.5a/550 Lumen standard TURBO - GENERAL Mode is 105 Lumen, and LOW is 12 Lumen. (Switching light off/on will reset TURBO Boost Mode)

This is how the first one should have been anyway. I am upset that I bought the first XML drop-in and then this comes out.

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
:popcorn:

I'm using AW 2900 flat-top cells in mine, with a magnet, and they seem like really good cells.
Hi Guys,
Using a flattop battery with a magnet is not a good idea. What if the flashlight is dropped or bumped hard enough to move the magnet, you could have a Short Circuit and that's never good with any Lithium Battery.

EagleTac recommends the use of only button top batteries. Use of any other type of battery may void the Warranty.

Last edited:

Devoid

Newly Enlightened
No!
Any authorized EagleTac retailer should have EagleTac brand batteries that work in EagleTac products.

Mike, could you please link to a battery on the PTS website that you would recommend for use with this flashlight?

I am very new to flashlights and ordered the EagleTac from PTS last night but I am still trying to work out what the best battery solution would be for me.

belomeclone

Enlightened
So the delay tactic worked with this flashlight in my favour? I bought it last night after figuring the money saved on free shipping would be enough to justify it. I hope to get a "shipped" message in my inbox tomorrow! I have two CR123's ready to power it, but I will need some batteries eventually. One for this, and two for my M3C4. Eventually I'll get a tiny one for my keychain flashlight, but that's another story.

So, all in all, I am getting the model that EagleTac intended it to be. Great!!

Chrisdm

Enlightened

lebox97

Enlightened
I'll second what Mikey said.

I really don't understand the fascination of using a flat top cell, (designed primarily for use in a battery pack) and then rigging them to work so you have a few extra minutes of runtime... :thinking:

The "shipped" price of the little bit (up to 18%) higher capacity cells is usually DOUBLE the cost of the EagleTac 2400mAh cells...
if your budget is 2x - then get 2x batteries for 2x runtime and you have a backup/redundant 2x number of cells? :confused:
RANT OFF...

:p
Tod

No!
Any authorized EagleTac retailer should have EagleTac brand batteries that work in EagleTac products.