Flashlight Enthusiast
xpbltk.jpg

still need to bond the plastic ring

may not work well if you have large thumbs

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
still need to bond the plastic ring

may not work well if you have large thumbs

Lol... you had me all excited with the thread title thinking ZebraLight fixed the accidental activation issue with the SC series.

That is a clever idea, hopefully the mod will work for you. But to be honest... I don't want to buy a brand new light for $64 dollars, and have to do a mod like that, especially since it may not work for me.

I am in the middle of a purchase decision right now for a new EDC, between the H51w and SC51w.

I am heavily leaning towards the H51w because of its versatility, and more so... because I don't want to have to lock out the tailcap on the SC51w, forcing me to use two hands every time I need light.

It kinda ruins a great UI... essentially turning the SC51w into a "twisty" in order to switch it on and off.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Nice! Let us know how well it works! I carry all my Zebralights "locked out" and it doesn't bother me at all. Actually, I carry a lot of my lights with the tailcap locked out, so it's just not a big deal for me, although I know it's a deal breaker for some. Kinda sad because I think the Zebralights are just super. The tailcaps work so smooth on my lights anyway, it's really easy for me to tighten the tailcap one-handed, turn the light around in my hand, and turn it on. I like the raised ring idea though, so please let us know what you think after carrying it for awhile! lovecpf

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also use an o-ring like this. It may be easier to come by. It doesn't seem to hinder using the switch much at all for me. But I have small hands, read- thumbs.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get why this is such a problem... I've been EDC'ing my SC50w+ every single day for a good six months now, and had it accidentally activate in my pocket a grand total of three times in that entire length of time. I know some people have this problem a lot, but I just don't see why.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Hi Bo .... I guess why people are having this problem is exactly the same as you having the light go on 3 x over 6 months which to some is unacceptable. I have just ordered a SC51 200 lumen on 1 x AA and this was very carefully chosen over a host of other lights. Downside for me is these lights have no beacon which I still think is a very valuable tool in the right scenario. I certainly hope my light does not go on too many times but will follow others advice and lock it out.

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
Hi Bo .... I guess why people are having this problem is exactly the same as you having the light go on 3 x over 6 months which to some is unacceptable. I have just ordered a SC51 200 lumen on 1 x AA and this was very carefully chosen over a host of other lights. Downside for me is these lights have no beacon which I still think is a very valuable tool in the right scenario. I certainly hope my light does not go on too many times but will follow others advice and lock it out.

They do....click 6 times....on high, and double click until it comes up...

g.p.

Enlightened
I am heavily leaning towards the H51w because of its versatility, and more so... because I don't want to have to lock out the tailcap on the SC51w, forcing me to use two hands every time I need light.
You don't need two hands to lock or unlock the tail cap. The light is tiny and the threads are lubed and silky smooth. I can easily unlock the tailcap with one hand while removing the light from my pocket...doesn't add any extra time. Same thing when I put it away.

I may try this idea if I can find a glow-in-the-dark oring that fits nicely. Only becasue I like gitd stuff though!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the grand scheme of things though, that's such a low percentage, why lose perspective on it? If you think about it, that three times for me, in six months, on average, is once per 60 days, or once every two months. Maybe some people have the problem more often, but to call a light trash or at least fundamentally flawed because it gets accidentally turned on in a pocket (in my case) less than 1% of the time is irrational.

Again, like I said, perhaps other people have this problem a lot more than me, and if that's the case, then certainly it's going to be more bothersome. Still, that doesn't change the fact they're great lights.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
well it's NEVER supposed to turn on accidentally. if it does then there's a design flaw which in this case is very easy to fix, and is worth fixing because the SC60 is just a fantastic light...

and zebralight acknowledges this issue. the new sc600 has a stiffer and more recessed switch

in the end its up to the individual. i guess for some people a gun that goes off in their pockets once every 2 months is still acceptable...

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
well it's NEVER supposed to turn on accidentally. if it does then there's a design flaw which in this case is very easy to fix, and is worth fixing because the SC60 is just a fantastic light...

and zebralight acknowledges this issue. the new sc600 has a stiffer and more recessed switch

in the end its up to the individual. i guess for some people a gun that goes off in their pockets once every 2 months is still acceptable...

Just to play a little devils advocate here...

Not necessarily a design flaw; i think ANY flashlight can be made to turn on in one's pocket under the right circumstances.

With respect to the stiffer switch, why does that have to be 'acknowledgement of a design flaw' when ZL is simply trying to fulfill the requests of their most demanding customers; flashaholics?

In short, while I see what you're saying, it's not necessarily true. It's still open to interpretation. Regardless, I think we should be happy they're trying to make us happy as I'm sure we are only a small portion of the total sales volume of their products, and that will hopefully translate into sales success for them, so they can keep making better and better lights for us. :D

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get why this is such a problem... I've been EDC'ing my SC50w+ every single day for a good six months now, and had it accidentally activate in my pocket a grand total of three times in that entire length of time. I know some people have this problem a lot, but I just don't see why.

I'm with you I've had my SC60 turn on just a couple times in my pocket and I've had it since the light was released, if others have it happen more often then I can see being a bit cautious but if it happens rarely like me and you then I say relax and whats the big deal?

Ok if your life depends on your battery life on a daily basis I can understand the concern but even with that I EDC two lights plus one on my keychain. I also wanted to add if you use expensive Lithium Ion like Energizer it's easier to understand why someone would worry so much or like I said the light is used in law-enforcement or similar situations, but if you just like to EDC in a "normal" day and use NiMH then again I ask why worry so much if the light rarely accidentally activates?

Lightman2

Enlightened
Agreed Bo, not point calling it trash. I had read about this problem before ordering my light but as there was no other light offering such a short measurement of 80mm and 200 lumens on 1 x AA I pretty much made up my mind there and then that the SC51 was for me.

In the grand scheme of things though, that's such a low percentage, why lose perspective on it? If you think about it, that three times for me, in six months, on average, is once per 60 days, or once every two months. Maybe some people have the problem more often, but to call a light trash or at least fundamentally flawed because it gets accidentally turned on in a pocket (in my case) less than 1% of the time is irrational.

Again, like I said, perhaps other people have this problem a lot more than me, and if that's the case, then certainly it's going to be more bothersome. Still, that doesn't change the fact they're great lights.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not necessarily a design flaw; i think ANY flashlight can be made to turn on in one's pocket under the right circumstances...
No, it is definitely a design flaw, unless the designer intended for the light to turn on when clipped in one's pocket.

It doesn't mean the light is fundamentally flawed. It still performs all of its functions but it is a flaw.

None of my other lights turn on while clipped in my pocket & this is a big strike against the Zebralight for me. You can rationally decide that the benefits outweigh this negative for you while I can rationally decide they don't for me.

It is sort of like the pre-flash issue with the Quarks. It doesn't bother me at all (not even a little) but for some people it is a deal breaker.