Klarus ST20 - anyone have one?

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
Wow, so I think I've found my ideal light. Too bad I JUST purchased a 4Sevens...I hate buyer's remorse.

The reason I like the Klarus more than the 4Sevens is the UI. The Klarus has two switches, one at the back end and one in front, as well as bezel rotation. So, it gives you the momentary on, which is really important for me. Other than that, it does pretty much everything the Quark AA^2 does, but better. It has a longer run time on high.

Man...I wish I can turn back time.

Edit: I read in a review that the Klarus ST20's "super low" isn't really that low - that it's the same as the low mode. Is that true? Other reviewers didn't mention this. One of the reasons I like the Quark is because of the super low (0.6 lumens)

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read and seen a lot about Quark on CPF but very little about Klarus. If I were in your situation I would be glad that I have the Quark AA2 (but I am ignorant when it comes to Klarus). Quarks have momentary with the tactical switch, along with programming (which is based on bezel rotation) on the tactical heads.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I were planning to get a Klarus ST20 but after reading some failures on the clickies I changed my mind and got an ITP SA1 (1xAA) and a Jetbeam BA20 instead. The reason I would buy that Klarus was because of its second button but after having ITP SA1, which also has a second button on the head, for a while I found using two switches usually needed my both hands or change my hold every time I needed to change the brightness or activate the strobe. OK, it's nothing that bad like all those head twisting mode change mechanism but didn't work for me that well either. I guess I needed both buttons to be next to each other. Or at least have an ON/OFF in the cycle of the head button.

All in all, ITP SA2 is the 2xAA with head button and infinite brightness, and it is way cheaper than the Klarus. I know Klarus has a better looking body but I still would love to see a 18650 in their 2xCR123 body, but 2xAA is still too long for the perfect design.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
You can go to the goinggear.com site to see videos on the ST20 and a lot of other flashlights. I just ordered a klaurus XT10, looks like a fantastic light and both clicky switches are next to each other. You can also check out the review by Selfbuilt on the CPF flashlight review forum.

Samy

Enlightened
I recently purchased a Klarus ST20 from goinggear.com. Apart from excellent prompt service from goinggear.com the light has also been excellent too. It is extremely bright and i find the light and beam output very usable.

Despite some reports on the forum, twisting the head definitely does change the output into a super low 2 lumen mode.

My only gripe is that the strobe mode is easily accessed via the side button and if i let someone 'borrow' the light they may accidently activate the strobe and not realise what they have done. A longer press time would solve the problem as the .05 seconds is probably a tad too short.

I made the mistake of letting my dad have a go and we compared it to his trusty 4D maglight. The Klarus promptly put it to shame and i now have to get my dad one too! I'll probably get the ST10 next ;)

I have been carrying it everyday in my pocket and it has been extremely useful.

cheers