Know of any good power tool forums ?

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Hey All :wave:

I'm shopping around for some cordless power tools and I'm looking for some input. I'm leaning towards a combo kit from the Dewalt range. I'm fairly familiar with most tools but I'm a bit inexperienced with nailers. I've use pneumatic nailers in the past to build a fence but I don't know the difference between the finish nailers. Dewalt have 2 models - the DC616 and the DC618. The DC616 is the straight finish nailer and the DC618 is the angle finish nailer. My questions are as follows:

- what are the differences between the 2 models apart from the angle of the nail "magazine" ?
- are they used for different applications ?
- what would be the more suitable for general handy man usage, e.g. building shelves, decking, furniture, etc ?
- is one model an inherently better design, e.g. the straight nailer doesn't jam as much ?
- are the range and costs of nails for either model a factor ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as would any links to a suitable power tool forums that I can direct my questions to.

Thanks in advance.

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
There doesn't appear to be any difference between the two models apart from the angle of the magazine. I would purchase the DC618K because having the angled magazine enables you to nail more easily in cramped spots (wannabe chippy); jamming in nail guns is pretty common and very easy to un-jam....just keep it oiled if it needs to be (some nailers don't need oil but the owners manual should tell you that).

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. none.
2. The angled one will fit in a small number of places the straight one won't.
3. I have never had a problem building bookcases or anything with a straight nailer. For decking you will probably either be using a screwgun or a bigger nailer than the ones you mentioned.
4. As jtblue mentioned, either way you just pop the cover off and remove the jam, then replace the cover. Takes 5 seconds.
5. Angled nails cost about twice as much as striaght nails, but still aren't that expensive.

If the things you are making or fixing have flat faces, then I think you will be better off with the straight nailer, because with a straight nailer it's easier to be sure that the nails are being driven normal to the surface and won't pop out of the side of the thing you're nailing.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Thanks for your input, guys. Because of it, I'll probably get the straight nailer - cheaper nails and no foreseeable use in cramped spaces.

pck50

Newly Enlightened
You will never ever go wrong with a dewalt pRODUCT THEY ARE BY FAR THE SUPERIOR POWER TOOLS, Stay far away from Craftsman Power tools.

Hey All :wave:

I'm shopping around for some cordless power tools and I'm looking for some input. I'm leaning towards a combo kit from the Dewalt range. I'm fairly familiar with most tools but I'm a bit inexperienced with nailers. I've use pneumatic nailers in the past to build a fence but I don't know the difference between the finish nailers. Dewalt have 2 models - the DC616 and the DC618. The DC616 is the straight finish nailer and the DC618 is the angle finish nailer. My questions are as follows:

- what are the differences between the 2 models apart from the angle of the nail "magazine" ?
- are they used for different applications ?
- what would be the more suitable for general handy man usage, e.g. building shelves, decking, furniture, etc ?
- is one model an inherently better design, e.g. the straight nailer doesn't jam as much ?
- are the range and costs of nails for either model a factor ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as would any links to a suitable power tool forums that I can direct my questions to.

Thanks in advance.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will never ever go wrong with a dewalt pRODUCT THEY ARE BY FAR THE SUPERIOR POWER TOOLS, Stay far away from Craftsman Power tools.

The Craftsman brand is a little lower in quality than the non-store-brands, but Craftsman Professional tools are license-produced versions of the tools sold under name brands like Porter Cable and Bosch.