selling protocol on b/s/t

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
after someone pm's interest in a light for sale, a slight counter offer is made by seller, how much time should elapse before a back up offer is accepted after not hearing from original interested party. I don't want to jump the gun or be disrespectful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember having a similar problem. I was selling a doo-dad. Someone asked a question, indicating some interest. I answered, but he did not respond. Others indicated interest. Finally I gave the first guy 12 hours to respond before accepting other bids. I think now that I didn't need to do that, but I'm not sure.

It takes a long time to come to an understanding of what accepted practice is.

Paul

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Seems to me that if you are in open dialogue with one person, one would hope to reach a resolve, one way or the other before you move on. Unfortunately with time zone differences and some having more frequent access to the internet compared to others, there can be delays.

If timeliness is an issue for you, in the future you might want to qualify messages and offers with a time limit. When it is all in the open on a thread, folks are usually understanding and will wait as backup or next in line.

My 2 cents anyway.....

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Keithr,

If this is in regards to the PM6 you are selling, I can back you up and help out a second customer if they feel they got the short end of the deal.

- Don

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, thanks
open dialogue would indicate a furthering of discussion and waiting is what I'm doing. I put this query here because I have had some treatment in b/s/t where after I opted in on a buy of several of the same items, 4 days later I was told that other people had beaten me to it. I thought it sucked, wasn't fair and some people received preferential treatment, so i'm doing my best to be respectful of the way other people are treated in dealing with me.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, sounds good. I am slowly developing an appreciation for lights that I can fit in my pocket like my beloved McLux and L4, so now I will go ahead with good old Don as back up, (of course mindful that I am several years older than good old Don)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Keithr,

Age aside, what you need is larger pockets! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Just joking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
keithhr said:
...I opted in on a buy of several of the same items, 4 days later I was told that other people had beaten me to it. I thought it sucked, wasn't fair and some people received preferential treatment, so i'm doing my best to be respectful of the way other people are treated in dealing with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO if you are the first to post in a BST thread, "I'll take it" the item should be yours as long as you make timely communication and payment. If you post "PM sent" I feel the door is still open for the seller to make other arrangements. When you post an item for sale you're not looking for conversation, you're looking to sell. Anything short of "I'll take it" or "Paypal sent" is an invitation to lose.

IMO only when an offer has been made AND accepted is there any requirement to wait.

When the buyer or seller counter offers you have the center of a doughnut, nothing, zilch.

In your case the buyer didn't offer to buy it at your price and you didn't offer to sell it at his, no other courtesy should be expected other than you change your ad to "sold" as soon as you make a deal.

The "sold-out" buyer shouldn't have any hostility as they were given a chance to buy but chose to risk a counter offer.

I am not offering CPF policy, just my opinion and am probably more rigid than most.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have purchased 2 of the brass collars and phone belt clip adapter that you suggested for use with the E2E, or L4, wonderful option and suggestion. My pockets might appear to be a bit larger if I lost a bit of weight and therefore made them bigger by subtraction.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
DieselDave,

What you suggest is logical, reasonable, and practical. After reading it, my only comment can be, "Of course."

Paul

Tomas

Banned
Actually, Dave, it would make sense for what you just replied to be a 'sticky' at the top of the BST forums. It just migh help to eliminate some potential problems and/or hard feelings.

T_sig6.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
It seems to me that sometimes people post "PM/e-mail sent" to get a little breathing room by tacitly "dibbing" the item, meanwhile in the background asking the seller questions about or negotiating the price of the item, etc., in order to effect the purchase. This is great for the potential buyer, but possibly not so good for the seller and definitely not good for other interested parties.

If a "sticky" regarding rules/considerations is posted at B/S/T, perhaps this aspect can be addressed.