Maratac AA compared to Nitecore EZ AA ?

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have both?

That Marartac AA is advertised as the worlds smallest and brightest (85l?) light. 30 bucks

THe Nitecore EZ AA also says it is the smallest and most powerful AA light on the market (160l?) and is 50 bucks.

What say ye who have them?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
The Maratac AA (and the very similar ITP A2 EOS) is a quite OK reasonably priced single AA light, but it is a very long way from being the brightest. Have a look at a Zebralight SC51 (and all it's close relatives) for an example of a MUCH brighter single AA light.

Mind you, brightness isn't the only thing to consider when choosing a light - beam shape (flood or throw), LED tint and run time are also quite important.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually looking for a bright AA that also has a decent throw.
Thanks for the responses~

mrlysle

Enlightened
Look at the Fenix LD10. Pretty decent output and throw for it's size and the fact that it feeds on 1xAA.

srfreddy

Enlightened
The Maratac AA is the 4Sevens Mini AA with an inferior keychain attachment, shorter knurling, XPE instead of XPG, a reversible clip (whereas the Mini doesn't) and no hidden blinkies. I run my Maratac on 14500, just like the Mini, they don't encourage you to use 14500's, (Liability reasons) but its quite a pocket rocket!

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
The Maratac AA works well on 14505 3V lithium primaries from Battery Junction also. Frankly, with regular AA's or NiMh it's not very impressive. Throw is decent for the size due to the XPE emitter. The SS version has been on sale for a while at $27, but their shipping charges suck. For the money I would rather get a Xeno E03 from Tactical HID and give up some throw. LD10 (especially R4 version if you can find one) is great.

srfreddy

Enlightened
There's a ton of other awesome stuff there, but yeah, their shipping charges suck. Cuso on CPFmarketplace did like 3 group ships for us recently.

Rej

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually looking for a bright AA that also has a decent throw.

+1 on the Zebralight SC51... had mine about a week, great UI (6 modes + hidden) & Form factor (small), Quality construction, uses standard AA's, is rated at 200 lumens on a standard NiMH battery :eek:, and has incredible run times as tested by Selfbuilt.

Sure, it does not throw like my TK12 (245 Lumens-18650 battery), but at 75 yards it has a huge 15-20ft 'BRIGHT' center and perhaps a 100ft diameter; nice gradually fading spill....definitely on the floodier side.

Great light ... can't wait for for XM-L versions.