Should I buy an HDS?

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hey CPFers!

Okay, so here's the deal. I am planning to by a High CRI once it comes out in 1-2 months. Do you think it would make a good pair with the HDS 120T? (I can't afford a 170T but I really want to try out HDS)...

I like neutral/warms tints better than cool white, but I was wondering if the throw and brightness of the 120T would make a good pair with the floodier and less bright beam of the High CRI? (I plan to take the pair hiking)

Thanks for your input! :)

Woodentsick

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
In practice, I reach for my 170T when I'm going to be doing close-up work, like plumbing or other renos. If I'm doing something farther away, like walking the dog, I've never reached for my 170T - I grab something more capable. My recommendation is to wait on the High CRI and use your excess funds to buy yourself a nice P60 dropin for your 6P (you DO have a 6P or a SolarForce host, right? ;)

For a little over a hundred bucks, Nailbender will make you something REALLY nice, or you can grab a Kerberos/VanIsle and really light up the night. Then use your High CRI for all the tasks too close for your new dropin.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Someone could do an emitter swap on what you already have you know.
No wait, no buying the same light with a different led in it.
XP-E and XP-G work well with the reflector.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hey guys :)

Thanks for the replies!
I'm not considering emitter swaps right now as I live in Singapore and am not prepared to go through the hassle of getting a modded light :( Anyways I prefer buying stock flashlights...

I was just wondering if there's any sense using both a High CRI and a 120T Clicky while hiking - are they different enough the complement each other?

Woodentsick

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
IMHO, the 170T complements the High CRI better but if the 170T is out of your reach, the 120T should be ok as well. You may want to also consider a Malkoff MD2 with hi/lo and module of your choice.........but that's gonna cost you more than the 120T.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it might be of help, you could always meet up with me for a night walk and I could show you all my HDS for comparison.

woodentsick

Enlightened
pjandyho,

I've seen your thread on the High CRI (which was fantastic and very helpful btw) and it looks like an amazing flashlight. But have you ever found yourself reaching for the cool-white HDS rather than the High CRI? Do you sometimes prefer the beam profiles of the other HDS lights?

And thanks for you offer by the way! I'll PM you about it :)

Woodentsick

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
pjandyho,

I've seen your thread on the High CRI (which was fantastic and very helpful btw) and it looks like an amazing flashlight. But have you ever found yourself reaching for the cool-white HDS rather than the High CRI? Do you sometimes prefer the beam profiles of the other HDS lights?

And thanks for you offer by the way! I'll PM you about it :)

Woodentsick

There isn't really a preference of a particular beam profile in my personal usage. I decide what light to use on the occasion. For general EDC, I carry the 170T because it is more powerful and has a reasonable amount of throw. It has been superseded with the new 200 rotary which I had just received. The 170T still has a very slightly brighter hot spot but I prefer the UI of the rotary. This is for my day to day EDC.

For my camping and trekking trips, I prefer the 100 high CRI for the very soothing color rendition that it provides. I used the word "soothing" because it really is so. It is not too bright, and the warmer color is much more natural on vegetation which when put together does not stress out my eyes as much. On such trips I usually reserve my 170T for times when I need more throw. When I have other more powerful throw lights with me, the 170T would be relegated to backup duty.

I haven't decided what duties the new 200 rotary should perform. It might take over the 170T for my outdoor trips, or I might use it side by side with the 170T but I guess the former would be more likely.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a word "No". If you prefer the high CRI then chances are once you acquire one it will make the 120 irrelevant in that you don't need a light as versatile as the HDS Clicky just to use as a thrower and really it will not perform that function nearly as well as a light dedicated to that task. So I say wait on the high CRI and use it as your EDC and dedicate the other funds to what someone else has already recommended, some sort of host with a dropin. Just my 2 cents.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Thanks for your replies guys,

Due to your helpful comments, I've decided to just wait for the High CRI :)

Woodentsick

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good move there. It might be worth the wait. Heard that Henry is testing on a new high CRI emitter.