The Throwiest 6P type lighst, and some P60 throw drop-ins.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I have been searching for the throwiest light in a P60 format. So, far here is what I have:
  1. A Nailbender P60 Drop-in XR-E R2 SMO at 290 OTF is 12K lux
  2. A Malkoff M30 (OLD XR-E R2) at 1.8A is 300 OTF and 6,700k lux.
  3. A Dereelight XR-E R2 OP at 225 OTF is 9,500k Lux
  4. My Personal P60 XR-E R2 Surefire TIR Optic is 10,300K lux
  5. Ahorton XR-E R2 Aspheric does 27K lux with normal (Nailbender) XR-E R2
  6. Ahorton XR-E R2 Aspheric does 32K lux with custom XR-E R2
Now, My new favorate is not a P60 drop-in, but the size form factor I find it feels thinner and easier to cary then a 6P.

Its a Lumapower D-Mini VX. These has a 35mm Reflector (SMO), and they focus the beam extremely well. I get 27,890 lux at 1m with 200 OTF XR-E R2 from Deal Extreme called XR-E R2 EZ9000. With the Nailbender XR-E R2 P60 Pill (it will screw in half way only, due to square threads) it still does impressive 22,500k lux at 1M. All this with pretty beam.

Here is the Aspheric Kit sold by Ahorton.
2bde5d85.jpg

460314a3.jpg

d1cbb287.jpg

My ultimate P60 throw light is the LumaPower D-Mini VX with SMO Reflector.
The P60 Pill screws in half way only.
The LumaPower in hand feels much more compact to me.
The 35mm Lumapower reflector is incredible compact and small when compared to LumensFactory D36 or Nailbender D36mm drop-in.

The LumensFactory super throw 36mm SMO reflector with XR-E R2 does 12K lux, so for this to do over double with less is really impressive. Also, not just more lux but to offer a pretty beam too.,

60ff06d1.jpg

1714fee4.jpg

9330095e.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now this is a Malkoff copy, but in a 100% custom Copper housing. It is a XR-E R2 EZ900 with 1.4A driver. At just 200 OTF (EZ9000's always due less lumens IMHO) it does 10,300K lux. The Optic is a Surefire L1 TIR Optic. The Optic that Malkoff and Nailbender use is a 8 degree Optic and while the beam is usually pretty they lack throw.

1a84fa68.jpg

f0f997e6.jpg

998dbf09.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just so people understand how much 1m lux is.

The Malkoff Houndog XP-G R5 I had did 20K lux
Most SuperThrow SST-50 and XM-L lights with big 2in~2.5in reflector like the Thrunite XM-L one are 25~32K lux.

for a LumaPower D-mini VX Smooth to feel smaller then a 6P and have almost 28K lux and offer a pretty beam is incredible.
http://www.lumapower.com/87U.html
The LumaPower D-mini VX I have came with XP-G R5 initially, but it had the SMOOTH reflector. I latered purchased a XR-E R2 LUmapower Pill, but decided I liked the Nailbender P60 XR-E R2 more as its 290 OTF vs. the stock one that does 140ish OTF.

bigC

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is crazy. If I am understanding correctly, you put the EZ9000 XRE R2 P60 module from DX in your Lumapower D-mini VX and got 28k Lux with the reflector and no aspheric? That is crazy. What massive throw from a small non ashperic light.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is crazy. If I am understanding correctly, you put the EZ9000 XRE R2 P60 module from DX in your Lumapower D-mini VX and got 28k Lux with the reflector and no aspheric? That is crazy. What massive throw from a small non ashperic light.

The only place on earth that has the XR-E R2 EZ9000 is Deal Extreme or some ebay people from China. You do get about 175~200 OTF lumens (at 1.4A), but the throw will be alot more. You could purchase the drop-in or the LED by itself and build it yourseft, I tried both and both give similar OTF numbers and lux were identical so, just get a NB drop-in.

A XR-E R2 EZ100 like the Nailbender P60 drop-in with XR-E R2 has the normal EZ100 die. This one made 290 OTF at 1.3A, but the lux went down to 22,500 at 1m. I have a custom one on copper too, but the OTF numbers were identical.

If I could find a real XR-E R2 EZ9000 from reputable dealer that can guarentee me a true R2 bin, I bet I could get those OTF numbers up considerably but right now it seems only low bin EZ9000 are available.

bigC

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is there an optic for an xml t that is designed to fit a d26? D36 is too big for my pocket. I know I can't get throw like an r2 but hoping for a little more throw than a reflector and a nice optic beam profile.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now this is a Malkoff copy, but in a 100% custom Copper housing. It is a XR-E R2 EZ900 with 1.4A driver. At just 200 OTF (EZ9000's always due less lumens IMHO) it does 10,300K lux. The Optic is a Surefire L1 TIR Optic. The Optic that Malkoff and Nailbender use is a 8 degree Optic and while the beam is usually pretty they lack throw.

Big C,

I am surprised it didn't beat the 12K lux top reflector based P60 number. But then I've had DX R2 that wasn't really R2. Did you re-flow the led directly to copper?

I am making one very similar, just took the Surefire TIR optics out of E1B head,
I was going to do the same EZ900/1.4A TIR set-up but then I saw DX offering new XRE Q5 in neutral, I haven't seen that before, changed my mind & went for the neutral bin instead. Still waiting.

However, it has a spec limit of only 700MA, not 1A, I wonder if that's some kind of mistake.
58374 XRE-Q5 160LM 4500K LED Neutral White Light Emitter (3.2V/700mA)

It's not surprising to see the 35mm throw so much better,
That's why I am playing with 300mm (12 inch) diameter heads :)

One last thing, I believe Malkoff is 6 degree lens, not same as the 8 degree lens used by nailbender.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big C,

I am surprised it didn't beat the 12K lux top reflector based P60 number.

With the Surefire TIR Optic (L1 head) direct drive I get 330 OTF and 13~14K lux.
With the small XR-E R2 EZ9000, I thought at 1.4A I should get 15~20K lux, but I have purchased at least 6 of these from DX and they all make low lumens. Whether its in a big 2D Mag on 1lbs copper slug or in L1 head or this P60 drop-in, they all do 200 OTF or less.
Did you re-flow the led directly to copper?

No. It has a recyled L1 stock XR-E R2 board. I want to reflow direct to copper and maybe go direct drive to see if it wakes up and comes to 250 OTF~300 OTF, but I doubt it.

I am making one very similar (not copper), just took the Surefire TIR optics out of E1B head,
I was going to do the same EZ900/1.4A TIR set-up but then I saw DX offering new XRE Q5 in neutral,
I haven't seen that before, changed my mind & went for the neutral bin instead. Still waiting.

Well, these EZ9000 from DX seem to be low bin anyways so they migh as well call it XR-E Q5 or less. The tint is purpleish with reflector, but the Optic makes it more white. It is good choice to go neutral on these.

However, it has a spec limit of only 700MA, not 1A, I wonder if that's some kind of mistake.
58374 XRE-Q5 160LM 4500K LED Neutral White Light Emitter (3.2V/700mA)

1A, no way. Purchase a couple and drive those hard. I even used 2A drivers on mine........lol, but the lumens suffered. At least the LED's didnt fry.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there an optic for an xml t that is designed to fit a d26? D36 is too big for my pocket. I know I can't get throw like an r2 but hoping for a little more throw than a reflector and a nice optic beam profile.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Any Surefire TiR Optic designed for the XR-E R2 will focus and provide an awesome beam when you put a XM-L behind it. My drop-in might get a XM-L instead since I get more throw from a Stock L1 head and AW17670 in DD mode.

bigC

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, for the neutral Q5, I'll still drive to 1.4A, I think DX migh have copied numbers from old XRE spec, it was used to be listed at 700ma. I will mount to copper directly for sure.

As far as XML with the Surefire TIR, I've been playing with it & wasn't working for me.
It's more floody than the reflector, so I am sticking with XRE. I really like my E2DL, it's
impressive with only 700ma I think, I need to measure the lux.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ma_Sha1,

Thanks for the neutral EZ9000 link. I just ordered 2 of them. I figure if I am just getting 200 lumens, I might as well make it warm.

The Surefire TIR Optic and XM-L do work good, but it does make a floody wall of light. I think I get 10K or so lux, but thats because of the huge 900plus OTF lumens.

Side Note: I have had the D36mm drop-ins in SMO, some 42mm SMO, and sizes up to 55mm, but for a very nice reason the D-Mini VX focuses the light into a super tiny spot. In fact, I have A Solarforce Masterpiece and I could swear the hotspots are identical.

The first Malkoff P4 and some XR-E r2's had a 6 degree Optic, but Gene changed to 8 degree cause they are pretty and consitent beams.

bigC

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

1a84fa68.jpg

f0f997e6.jpg

998dbf09.jpg

Between the Surefire TIR and the all copper D26 drop in that looks like one expensive build! I love the looks of copper drop ins. You must have a nice looking beam with that TIR. Does it have any usable spill? The Nailbender with smooth reflector is my favorite P60 but it's not a pretty beam on a white wall. Heck, I'd like having a drop in like your just because of how elegant it looks.

When you use the Lumapower head with the Nailbender 1.4 amp R2 or the EZ900 R2 is there any spill to speak of? I used to have a Masterpiece Pro 1 head but the lack of usable spill and the pencil thin beam were no more useful than an aspheric. I like the Nailbender in the D26 because the beam diameter is a decent size and there is a surprising amount of useful spill. This means I can use it in my coat pocket as a practical flashlight to light up my car 50 yards away or to look into a dark corner in the trunk of the car. If I put the Nailbender pill in the Mini VX will I be back to the pencil thin beam I find less than useful?

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the Surefire TIR and the all copper D26 drop in that looks like one expensive build! I love the looks of copper drop ins. You must have a nice looking beam with that TIR. Does it have any usable spill? The Nailbender with smooth reflector is my favorite P60 but it's not a pretty beam on a white wall. Heck, I'd like having a drop in like your just because of how elegant it looks.

Well, to tell you the thruth the EZ900 does focus in the Surefire TiR optic nicely, but the lux is not as much as I wanted. Behind a SMO P60 reflector it actually does look almost perfect. I have had P60 drop-ins with SMO reflectors and EZ100's, but the beam is ringy and ugly. This is not the case with the EZ900 and SMO P60 reflector it literally is flawless and its what I will use the EZ900 now.

When you use the Lumapower head with the Nailbender 1.4 amp R2 or the EZ900 R2 is there any spill to speak of?
The Nailbender P60 XR-E R2 EZ100 with 1.3A driver is what I speak of and what I used.

I used to have a Masterpiece Pro 1 head but the lack of usable spill and the pencil thin beam were no more useful than an aspheric.
This is True and I use that Reflector on my 1D Mag now with XM-L. Same awesome throw, but alot more spill now.
I like the Nailbender in the D26 because the beam diameter is a decent size and there is a surprising amount of useful spill. This means I can use it in my coat pocket as a practical flashlight to light up my car 50 yards away or to look into a dark corner in the trunk of the car. If I put the Nailbender pill in the Mini VX will I be back to the pencil thin beam I find less than useful

The D-Mini has a really tight spot which makes for alot of throw and high lux numbers, but the spill area is big. Granted; the spill area is not as bright but its there and plenty for outdoor use but for indoor/close up not so good.

?

The D-Mini SMO Reflector is my #1 Favorate P60 hosts or light in General. It can be small or really small. EAsy to carry and throws alot of light downrange. I have an XM-L P60 copper pill being made for it.

bigC

recDNA

Flashaholic
When Nailbender gets some EZ900's I'll order another 1.4 amp R2 drop in from him (pretty sure mine is 1.4 amp not 1.3). Too bad Cree doesn't use their top bins for the EZ900. I may end up liking my 1mm R2 better due to the brighter spill. I find the spill of mine very comparable to many R5 drop ins...and at maybe 290 lumens it probably is...but I've got THROW too. When I walk out to the parking lot at night I need to light up the bushes behind my car from a distance to scare away critters and I want to see if people hanging out back there too. The 1.5 amp Thrunite R5 I used to carry in my 1 X 18500 fivemega was very bright but just didn't throw well enough. I need to try my Manafont XML P60 back there. With an IMR it pushes 4 amps so it's got a little throw to it and close up it lights up a neighborhood.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for the record BigC I am over 60K cp with my Ahorton 27.2mm aspheric setup. Higher in a bench test but I haven't reproduced it in a light yet. He really did a good job with those lenses.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's done. I'm not heading out of town this weekend like we had planned (don't want to get snowed in on the wrong side of the mountain) so I'll see if I can drop it off Sunday.

Awesome...see you Sunday.

SaaBluster,
How the heck did you get that......I think you are doing 3 things.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • XR-E EZ900
  • LED to Copper bonding (no Star)
  • Drive it at 1.5A~2A........
  • Maybe a collimator and Aspheric combo?
Well; enough with my speculations show me some eye candy. I always admire your work, so it doesnt surprise me to see what you can do with these Ahorton aspheric lens. I had to bring the LED really close to the lens to make it focus which I have found retains more of the OTF numbers too.

details please!!!

Latest posts