Streamlight Protac PT-1AA and PT-2AA

tomp

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I am looking for something small that will take AA batteries and dont want to spend alot of money. I can get the Protac 1AA for about $28.

Does anyone have any experience with either the 1AA or 2AA?

mrlysle

Enlightened
I don't have any personal experience with these particular models, but it looks like a pretty nice light to me. The C4 led's are nice. I do have a Strion LED, and it's a really well built light. I read some reviews about these Protac's, and they were all favorable. If you wanted something a little brighter, save up a few more bucks and look at some of the Fenix and Quark 1xAA models. The Fenix LD10 is a great light on 1xAA, or the LD15. 4Sevens has some 1xAA models and everybody that has them, like them. Good luck in your search.

herosemblem

Enlightened
I'd go with the 2AA version. You will really appreciate the added runtime. (Nevermind; apparently there isn't increased runtime. Only increased brightness). And, because the tubes are thin, the shorter length of the 1AA version (believe it or not) is not a benefit at all. The 2AA version can go and fit anywhere the 1AA version can. Yes, in dress pants, too!

How do I know this?
I own both the PT1L and PT2L. They are the same thing except they use CR123 cells. If you buy the 1AA version, you will wish you had the 2AA version. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
I have the PT1L and PT2L also, but I prefer the PT1L. The 2L is brighter and has longer runtime, but I like to carry the 1L at the bottom of my pocket, without using the clip.

The AA versions are listed as having the same 1.75 hr runtime on high. Streamlight's website also shows a new EMS 1 AA version with 3.6, 10 and 50 lumen output levels and no strobe. Starts out in lowest level.

tomp

Newly Enlightened
I have settled on the 1AA version. This little light is short enough to clip on the bill of my ball cap, fit in bottom of my pocket, and clip to belt/pocket and still be able to sit down without it sticking me somewhere. I have other FLs with more power, longer runtime etc. When I saw the little PT-1AA at Cabelas over the weekend, I really liked it alot. Thanks for the help guys.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Let us know what you think of it after you've carried it for awhile. Always good to hear from fellow CPF'ers about their experiences!

tomp

Newly Enlightened
Will do Jeff... Looks like they shipped it already according to email.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the 2AA doesn't have a longer runtime than the 1AA, it's just brighter. I use a LiFePO4 600mAh AA in my 1AA, and it runs at the 2AA's brightness for about 40 minutes.

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
Do all the modes work with the LiFePO4 batteries? Have you tried 14500 in it?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1AA, 2AA, and 1L share the same boost-only circuitry, and will take a max of 3.6V (two lithium primary AA, but Streamlight advises that the lights may run warmer than usual). So...both answers would be no.

You'll need to get a 2L to use higher voltages.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Streamlight's website also shows a new EMS 1 AA version with 3.6, 10 and 50 lumen output levels and no strobe. Starts out in lowest level.

Kyle,

:thanks: Thanks for the tip on the new ProTac EMS version! I've been waiting for something like a ProTac, but with 3 brightness levels.

It is pictured and described more fully here.

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
That EMS version looks pretty cool. I know a lot of people don't care for the UI of the regular ones (starting on high, then strobe, then low).

maju

Newly Enlightened
I just got a PT-AA cost was a great motivator for this light (under $40), The only thing I find that I do not like is the mode sequence of HIGH -STROBE -LOW. I think that strobe should be last but it is easy enouhg to get past it to use low mode.

5Sport

Enlightened
Has anyone bout or tried the ProTac™ EMS light. I am curious about it too. I like the interface and the pushbutton rear. Is there any other 1AA with the same features?

GreySave

Enlightened
I have the 2 AA as I wanted a good quality 2 cell AA light without spending a ton of money and also wanted a nice balacne between run time and power. 4Sevens has nice AA lights but they run towards the higher power end of the spectrum and that is just not what I wanted. I find the EMS version VERY tempting and may just spring for that!

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone bout or tried the ProTac™ EMS light. I am curious about it too. I like the interface and the pushbutton rear. Is there any other 1AA with the same features?

The SL 1AA EMS looks like it'd be a perfect tasklight, survival kit light, outdoor backup light, etc.

What I love about this light:
-forward clicky with momentary
-3 well spaced levels, starting with low
-waterproof rated, drop rated
-last but not least, NO STROBE!

Amazing that none of the other manufacturers seem to be able or willing to put together these features in a 1AA EDC tasklight.

Brightguy site indicates these will be available in June, so I'll probably grab one up then.

5Sport

Enlightened
Although I love my Fenix LD10, for 30.00 or so, the Streamlight seems like a pretty good buy. Two questions,

Will it be brighter with lithium primaries?
Does the light cut off when it drops below a certain voltage, and if so, will the lower modes still work?

I am very tempted.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it will be noticeably brighter with lithium primary. With a LiFePO4 AA, the 1AA will have the same brightness as the 2AA version and runs for about 40 minutes (600mAh battery).

The lights turned off when my NiMH batteries dropped below 1.0V each. I didn't test if lower modes work, but I think that if you let it recover, lower modes will work. I reviewed the ProTac 1AA and 2AA (they were the PT 1AA and 2AA, the name was changed in 2011) last December.

http://www.led-resource.com/2010/12/streamlight-protac-1aa-and-2aa-review/

5Sport

Enlightened
Nice review.

So with the lithium primaries, are you saying that the run time on high is only 40 minutes before it cuts off, and will it go back on in one of the lower modes after it cuts off?

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a pretty good deal.