Surefire 6P versus E2D LED Defender

tomp

Newly Enlightened
Hi - I am fairly new to the fourm and high quality flashlights. I really like the shape and feel of the E2D Defender series lights. However, I continue to read/hear that the 6P is a must-have light. Can someone please offer some opinions as to what would make the 6P better or more desirable than the E2D? Thank you for your assistance.

carrot

Flashaholic
We really like the 6P because of all the upgrade options for it, both from Surefire and aftermarket. From Surefire in recent years there is the KX4 and P60L, but from the aftermarket there ranges all sorts of options from a very inexpensive DX module all the way to the Malkoffs and the Moddoo/Oveready Triple-XPG.

The E2D is no slouch for upgradeability either, taking the KX2 from Surefire, several hotwires from LumensFactory, and the
Kuku427 LED tower module. But the 6P is still far more upgradeable from a much larger system of parts.

I would lean in the direction of picking up an E2DL first, and then a standard 6P (not LED or X) later. The E2DL makes a great pocket light and the (upgraded) 6P will be a great all-around light to compliment the E2DL.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I love how easy it is to upgrade 6Ps (but I love my E2DL as well!) If you are used to the E2DL, the 6P might feel a little chunky to you... have you thought about a Z2 or a C2? The Z2 tapers down really thin in the middle, but still accepts the same drop ins.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hi - I am fairly new to the fourm and high quality flashlights. I really like the shape and feel of the E2D Defender series lights. However, I continue to read/hear that the 6P is a must-have light. Can someone please offer some opinions as to what would make the 6P better or more desirable than the E2D? Thank you for your assistance.

Just a quick FYI;
You mention the SureFire "6P" and the "E2D LED". Because there are various different versions it is important to use the model number rather than the model name. You'll notice people refer to the "E2DL" rather than the "E2D LED Defender".
Similarly, "6P" refers to the incandescent model. "6PL" refers to the LED version. This is important because the 6P features the removable P60 incandescent Lamp Assembly whereas the current 6PL features the KX4 dedicated LED bezel. If you want to use the flashlight as a host for aftermarket LED drop-ins then you're better off starting with the incandescent 6P rather than the 6PL (w/ KX4) because you'll need a new bezel to host the aftermarket LED drop-ins.

The E2DL comes ready to go with a high output, intense beam. Effectively if you don't want to immediately start playing with modifications and aftermarket 'upgrades' the E2DL is a great first flashlight. If the aggressive crenelations are what you like (personally I find them annoying).

The 6P is a Classic and you're first step on the exciting path of aftermarket LED drop-ins and various modifications etc. It'll quickly be the core of your expanding collection of parts and such. The 6P is like a PC case - so many different ways to upgrade and refresh all the various components.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
We really like the 6P because of all the upgrade options for it, both from Surefire and aftermarket. From Surefire in recent years there is the KX4 and P60L, but from the aftermarket there ranges all sorts of options from a very inexpensive DX module all the way to the Malkoffs and the Moddoo/Oveready Triple-XPG.

The E2D is no slouch for upgradeability either, taking the KX2 from Surefire, several hotwires from LumensFactory, and the
Kuku427 LED tower module. But the 6P is still far more upgradeable from a much larger system of parts.

I would lean in the direction of picking up an E2DL first, and then a standard 6P (not LED or X) later. The E2DL makes a great pocket light and the (upgraded) 6P will be a great all-around light to compliment the E2DL.

I have a 6p led but it has a p60l-wh drop in. Do I still need to rePlace the bezel on this one to upgrade? It's not a dedicated bezel kx4

Last edited:

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about all E2DL (LED) specimens, but mine is very throwy with a small, tight hotspot and not much spill or flood.
The real question here is what do you plan on using it for? It's like asking "should I get a truck, or a convertible?" A truck is great when you need to move stuff, but a convertible is more fun to drive to the beach.

The 6P is much more mod-able than the E2DL. the 6P can be upgraded easily with dropins. The E2DL, not so easy. I have a 9P (3 cell body as opposed to the 6P's 2 cell body) an E2D incan, and the E2DL LED. The 9P & E2D incan are pretty flexible because of the easy to obtain and install drop ins. The E2DL would have to be sent to a modder who can take the head apart and work their magic.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 6p led but it has a p60l-wh drop in. Do I still need to rePlace the bezel on this one to upgrade? It's not a dedicated bezel kx4

Nope. The Bezel that comes with yours (the Z44) can accept any P60-Style drop-in (Malkoff/Nailbender/etc.)

berlioz

Newly Enlightened
I have an E2DL myself. It was the first high quality LED light that I purchased. I don't know much about modifications, but I will say that out of the box, it is an excellent flashlight. Definitely very impressive if you're used to more common brands.

It has an impressively long runtime on the low setting, at a brightness level that is perfectly suitable for reading or searching for your keys in your tent.

The high setting is pretty bright. Just shining it on a reflective surface is enough to make me squint, provided I'm standing close enough. Switching between output modes is easy too.

It's pretty light and sturdy for it's size; typical surefire. Also probably overpriced - in my opinion a fenix light is almost as good for quite a bit less. As you probably know, the E2DL is designed for self defense, but i've never felt the need to use it in that capacity. I realize that the slightly flanged edges make it a kind of pseudo kubaton, but frankly, hitting someone with a tough, solid piece of metal (i.e. any similarly sized flashlight) is probably going to produce results.

That being said, I think it's a great light to start out with. It's not going to break on you anytime soon, and it's a good balance of novelty and utility.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Whenever I spot this sort of thread, I always throw in that the E2DL is extremely durable at both ends, and that the shrouded tail cap prevents accidental in-the-pocket turn-ons- something I used to have issues with using other lights, both for unsuspected battery loss and scary heat production in insulated garments.

herosemblem

Enlightened
The 6P-style of light is not one you'll actually carry in your day-day life.
I love them for work, when they are situated in a holster.

E2D-style flashlights, on the other hand, are good for both purposes. The thinner body and pocket clip make them a light that you will actually use in your day-day life, and for work. I won't get into the whole crenelated bezel issue, because that is a downside and will probably just confuse the issue...
I own 5 G2's, a G2X, but none of them are EDC'd. Their fatness and lack of a pocket clip make them suitable only for use at home or work. Hope that makes sense.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
There are fewer options for legoing E-Series lights with non-Surefire parts, but the E2D body and tailcap are just about as good as you'll find anywhere. If you like the feel of an E-Series light, you won't be lacking in quality options if you stick to E-Series compatible components.

If you need to try out different P60 drop-ins, you can get an E-to-C adapter (the Surefire 6P is considered a "C-Sized Body") and a Z44 and try all the drop-ins you want without getting into exotic mods at all - plus you can more or less retain the feel of the E2DL.

Of course, if you do end up modding that E2DL, you'll probably also just buy a 6P anyway.

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
You shouldn't need to modify a $160 dollar light! I personally would take my money in another direction, there are so many lights that are comparable at a lower price bracket.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
You don't need to modify either of these lights. The OP is asking why people think that the 6P is a must-have, and for the people here at CPF, it's the huge number of mods available. Most people would never see any reason to modify an E2DL (or even a 6P).

Xacto

Enlightened
I like the Surefire 6P/Z2 format because you can exchange virtually very part - either for upgrade or repair. With enough spares you do not even need a dealer or the Surefire CS department.

Cheers
Thorsten

afdk

Newly Enlightened
You don't need to modify either of these lights. The OP is asking why people think that the 6P is a must-have, and for the people here at CPF, it's the huge number of mods available. Most people would never see any reason to modify an E2DL (or even a 6P).

I agree with you Z-Tab!