The Storm Changed My Son's Appreciation

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Storm Changed My Son\'s Appreciation

Recently I gave each of my sons an Arc LS. I could tell that my younger son wasn't too impressed. He figured he'd throw it in the glove box of his car.

He called me after the storm, wanting to talk about flashlights. His power had failed. On top of that, the gutter of his house had fallen, causing a minor flood next to the house. He got out in the rain to dig a trench to keep his basement from flooding. He found that the Arc was vastly superior to his Mags. And it was a light he could attach to his hat. (He tore up his hat to make some sort of arrangement to hold the light.)

So, while he dug, the light kept shining in the rain, and the trench was completed. Now he wants to buy one for his wife. And he wants to visit some night to see what other lights I have. That's quite a change of heart.

Paul

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Re: The Storm Changed My Son\'s Appreciation

You now have what is called a double edge sword.

A. It's great he has an interest and wants you to help him learn more.

B. You're in trouble. Buy a safe and lock-up any lights valued at more than $10.00 before he comes over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For the last 3 months my wife walks right past the 4D Mag I leave in the kitchen and comes to my office and grabs a Tigerlight before heading outside. I told her she was a light snob the other night and she just gave me one of those looks. You know the one, turns you to stone.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul,

Glad to hear your son is now turning on to quality lighting. Perhaps this will be something the two of you can explore together? My wife still hasn't picked up the bug and my daughter is far too young. So I guess it's just me for a few more years. Has he seen your L4 yet? I would guess he'd be even more impressed with that light.

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wilkey,

No, he hasn't seen anything yet other than an E2e. He was entirely and deeply uninterested at that time.

But I know that something's bitten him now, because he wants to be sure it's dark when I show him my lights. He wants me to describe eveything that's available. Fortunately I have a SureFire catalogue.

Paul

It's never too early to start your daughter. I seem to remember a picture from about 6 months ago. In it a very young child, maybe even younger than yours, was holding a SF M6. It dwarfed the poor kid.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL, I love it.

Amazing how people turn around when they experience first hand the utitlity of something they prevously dismissed.

My ex-wife used to raze me about carrying my Ham radio walkie-talkie in the car. (this was pre-cell phone days) That was until one day our car nearly burnt up on the freeway. After getting the wife and baby out and a safe distance away, I was able to get in a phone patch to the Highway Patrol, a tow truck then a call to my dad who picked up the wife and baby.

She did admit that it wasn't so dumb having that in the car after all. Of course after this she then started taking an interest in some of my stuff, much like your son. Then she covented my 6P, my Syderco's and my new S&W 640

GregR

RevDavid

Enlightened

AAAhhhh!

Epidemic Flashaholism! When, oh when will they come up with a cure?

(And how do we evade them when they do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif)

David <><

Brock

Flashaholic

Yup that was my son Kaiser at 1 month old

kaiserm6.jpg

My wife took that and sent it to me while I was at work for 18 hours one day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

He has his own lights and always walks around the house with them wanting all the lights off. He is only 17 months now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I should add my wife "borrowed" my E1/KL1 and a Streamlight stylus. She always laughs and tells me her light is brighter then anyone else's lights she ever sees.

83Venture

Enlightened

Great picture - flashlight is cute too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cute picture!

Paul, Miranda is still just a bit too young. She tries to put everything in her mouth. Maybe in a few months I'll buy her something soft and bright like a G2 yellow.

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brock -- Thanks for reposting that picture of Kaiser. That's one you'll want to be sure to show to his girlfriends, beginning in about another 20 years. It sounds like you're bringing him up right.

Wilkey -- If you can make a flashlight out of a butternut squash, why not make one out of a teething rattle or a toy? After you finish your Junkyard Dog light, you'll have lots of time on your hands.

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doh!

Paul, you've just given me another mod to do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
.....as Wilkey starts eyeballing Miranda's toy pile....

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

Well, one of my sons is excited about flashlights. And I believe that the next time my other son visits his "country retreat" (where he keeps a heavy Mag 6D with a gnarley hotspot) he'll pull out his new Arc LS and wonder why he was lugging that Mag around just to walk his dogs.

Paul