Thrower recomendations for CPF newbie.

Snowman_ski

Newly Enlightened
:bow:
O great CPF wise ones I request your wisdom!
I'm looking for a led thrower. Preferably 2x 18650. And under $200. a year or so ago I bought a jetbeam m1x, mostly because of the good reviews on this site. (yes, i'm a ex-lurker...) But I want something that outthrows the m1x, I don't need as much flood as it has. I've been perusing, but I can't find a good replacement. The olight big monsters seem to come up as the better throwers, but I don't have 400 bucks.

Thanks for your comments!

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Many come to mind The Trustfire X6 SST-90 is a suitable cheaper replacement for the SR90 blues. You can see my beam shots and review here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Trustfire-X6-SST-90-OUTDOOR-BEAM-SHOTS-ADDED go to bottom for outside shots

The Dereelight DBS V3 in XM-L 2.5A also has great throw
Pretty much any aspheric if you like the square beam
The XLR 250 from Elusivewildlfie also good thrower was My favorite till the X6
for Med size light I would go for the DBS V3 XM-L get the ext tube and run 2 18650'S you wont be dissapointed
If Large is OK get the X6
The XLR250 is small just a little longer then the DBS single cell lights without ext. they are making an ext tube for the light so you will get some good power from it
Mine can throw easily 250 yards now hence the 250 in the name

Joe

pageyjim

Enlightened
Many come to mind The Trustfire X6 SST-90 is a suitable cheaper replacement for the SR90 blues. You can see my beam shots and review here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Trustfire-X6-SST-90-OUTDOOR-BEAM-SHOTS-ADDED go to bottom for outside shots

The Dereelight DBS V3 in XM-L 2.5A also has great throw
Pretty much any aspheric if you like the square beam
The XLR 250 from Elusivewildlfie also good thrower was My favorite till the X6
for Med size light I would go for the DBS V3 XM-L get the ext tube and run 2 18650'S you wont be dissapointed
If Large is OK get the X6
The XLR250 is small just a little longer then the DBS single cell lights without ext. they are making an ext tube for the light so you will get some good power from it
Mine can throw easily 250 yards now hence the 250 in the name

Joe

Will the Trustfire work with 2 18650's?

Snowman_ski

Newly Enlightened
The trustfire looks great. And I had never thought of using a aspheric lense. Can you add one to the jetbeam or the trustfire x6? And the X6 out throws the m1x by alot? It should with 2000+ lumens... I think that will be my first superthrower!
Any other suggustions? Anything that really puts a X6 to shame for under 200?

Luminater

Newly Enlightened
search

TrustFire X-Series X7 Luminus SST-50 LED 5-Mode or
PALIGHT BG-SST50 LED Aluminum Flash Torch Kit with 26650 Battery

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Snowman Not sure on the head size for the Jetbeam if you can measure the glass lense I can see if there is an aspheric that size. One thing to remember also is not all will focus perfectly in any head so you will need to be able to adjust the focus. I am looking at an aspheric for the X6 not sure yet if Ill get it or not. It will require me to grind 1mm of it to fit so I'd have to make a fixture to hold and keep it centered in my lathe while I took off the 1mm with a diamond file.

Joe

pageyjim

Enlightened
Snowman Not sure on the head size for the Jetbeam if you can measure the glass lense I can see if there is an aspheric that size. One thing to remember also is not all will focus perfectly in any head so you will need to be able to adjust the focus. I am looking at an aspheric for the X6 not sure yet if Ill get it or not. It will require me to grind 1mm of it to fit so I'd have to make a fixture to hold and keep it centered in my lathe while I took off the 1mm with a diamond file.

Joe

I've been checking out specs on the M1X I don't have it at hand but I could swear the lens is 57 or 58mm. Don't know if that helps.

Snowman_ski

Newly Enlightened

Wow. That's amazing that you know how to set all that up. Would you be willing to make and sell an extra aspheric lense and hardwear for an x6? I think I'm going to gift the m1x and buy the X6. I've heard the x6 sometimes have build quality issues. And I'm not a handyman with electronics. Will this be an issue? Also I have trustfire and ultrafire 18650s. Can they handle the x6 well? Thanks Joe.

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
A cheap AND a great option for a 2x18650 thrower would be Solarforce MPP-1 head. Not boasting with lumens but outthrows pretty much everything at same size. Should get near or over 50K lux. You may use it with any Solarforce body. I recommend you to check it out. You can get one with body less than 50 bucks.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Snowman the M1X is said to be a fine light I would keep it personaly. I never get rid of any of my lights they all have a purpose and get use for different things. If I do infact get the Lense for my X6 I can grind one down for you. I also wouldn't charge to do it. I would need you to ship the lense to me and pay return shipping and that would be it. I dont charge to help folks out I have the tools to do the Job and like doing it. Was just looking at my lathe as to how I could make a Jig to hold the lense and turn it true I can make the jig easily. So I may just go ahead and get the lense. Wont be till this weekend if I decide. It would be cool tho and it may just work in my HID as well will have to remeasure that.

As for the X6 I have read one review that a guy didnt like the light I personaly like mine and as stated i nthe review would only change the tint of the bulb to maybe 5000k and have memory for modes I'm not sure how well the Aspheric will focus in the X6 head as it comes from the factory but if I need to extend the head I can do that. I have a good supply of aluminum and A home foundry to cast a part if need be. As for the batteries the X6 comes with 3 18650 trustfire cells. I have used them in the light but have a good supply of AW cells I use in all my flashlights. But to answer your question yes the trustfire and ultrafire batteries will work fine. I have personaly had no issues from any of them I own and some going on 4 years old still working fine.

The X6 is a nice light even without an aspheric so if your thinking of picking one up It's your dicission However wait on the Aspheric till I have a chance to work out any issues it may have. Just so you know I build Telescopes so I know a great deal about optics and mirrors and have build a few Aspheric flashlights that have worked out great.

Joe

Snowman_ski

Newly Enlightened
:bow:
I'd be giving the m1x to my parents, who frequently go on early morning runs with a dollar store ray-o-vac.
That will give me the excuse to get something like the bc10 from jetbeam, to off set the big monster. :)
Thanks man. I'll order it and see what I think before going for a lense then. Thanks again!

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, total lumens have nothing to do with throw. In general the SST-90 is not a great emitter for a thrower because the SST-90 is huge. This can be overcome with a huge reflector. I don't know anything about the X6 but you may not get as much throw as you think. I have a light with an SST-90 that actually has a measured 2000 OTF lumens (unlike the x6) and it does not throw any farther than my EagleTac M3C4 XML.

It seems the vast majority of aspheric setups do better with a smaller emitter that has a higher surface brightness (the SST-90 is the exact opposite of this). Most good aspheric setups use an XR-E save the flydragon which I don't know much about. Saablaster (maker of the DEFT) has produced lights that out-throw anything on the market and he uses an XR-E emitter. Last I saw he has lights producing 500,000 lux. He may be beyond that now.

Stock lights that throw very well and use 18650 cells are the Thrunite Catapult V3, EagleTac M3C4 XML, and Olight M3x.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
A cheap AND a great option for a 2x18650 thrower would be Solarforce MPP-1 head. Not boasting with lumens but outthrows pretty much everything at same size. Should get near or over 50K lux. You may use it with any Solarforce body. I recommend you to check it out. You can get one with body less than 50 bucks.

What he said. Crazy throw for the $$$.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Tre go to post 2 of this thread and click that link I did a review of the X6 SST-90 has beem shots of it lighting the side of a warehouse up at 327 yards I think getting the reflector size in the case is very true I will be taking the X6 to my property this weekend for for some very long beam shots I am thinking it will throw 400 Yards with enought light for me to see things fairly well. I know it wont throw enought light that far to set anything on fire. I see well in low light and with just a little light on the subject it's like night vision for me. I will be posting the pics in the review. Ill also be posting a review of my XLR250 Kill light very nice aspheric killer throw light that one uses R2 or Q5 emitter the maker wont tell me what one but said its one of those lol that one has a very deep smooth reflector I have used it at 250 yards easily to hunt racoons.

Joe

Joe

Snowman_ski

Newly Enlightened
If I were to get the dereelight dbs, instead, does the xpg out throw the xml? And do either of them outthrow.the m1x, without using the aspherical lense option? Excuse my ignorance please, I'm still figuring led lights out. Thanks.
Edit: I just got a email from Alan with dereelights, and he says, XRE R2 is the best throw setup...

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
The R2 is the best throw set up. However in the same reflector my XM-L does have more light on the spot. here is what im talking about. at 300 yards my XM-L looks brighter on the wall then the R2 does this doesnt mean it will out throw the R2. IMO being able to throw light 300 yards is nice but being able to see clearly whats there is where its at. So for me the XM-L does the trick in fack tomorrow morning I'll take me DBS V3 both in XM-L and R2 and shoot some beams for you so you can see what I mean will post the Pictures here for you. I do love the R2 emitter as well the Q5 but I want light not a dim lit spot. I'll get some R2 aspheric shots for you as well as XM-L aspheric havent compared those yet. I also have an R2 in slightly better reflector ill shoot for you. Dont get me rong here I love the Dereelights as well I should since I have every one of them. so I'm not saying dont get the DBS just to wait to see some photos.

Joe

Snowman_ski

Newly Enlightened
Did you get those pics, throwjunkie? I assume you have a life outside of cpf... so whenever's fine...