NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: My Quark Turbo 123³ (not a typo)

Cool My Quark Turbo 123³ (not a typo)

Well, I've had this idea rattling around my head since the Quark Turbo was released (and I believe I posted it somewhere), but just now got a chance to build it. Nothing real spectacular (in fact I feel kinda lame for posting it in the mods forum, but where else?), but I like the results.

Basically, the Quark Turbo comes with two options: 2xCR123, or 2xAA, with practically the same energy storage. You could slightly improve it with the mid-loading 18650 tube, although I think there were some compatibility issues with the Turbo, but even that does no good for primary users.

But...

Turns out if you take the Quark Turbo 2xAA tube, you can easily bore it out to 17mm for 3xCR123.

To do this, you need any Quark 123² head (Plain, tactical, or turbo -- they all accept up to 9V input), the Quark Turbo AA² body (which is not necked down in the middle, unlike the non-turbo AA² tube -- I'm pretty sure it would break through the flats), and of course your choice of tailcap.

I just removed the clip, chucked the body on the three flats (with brass shims) in the 3-jaw and drilled it through in the engine lathe -- quick, easy, and good results. Used a 43/64 drill that should have just obliterated the 17mm counterbores, unfortunately it was a hair undersize, and the throughbore is now 16.91mm. Good enough for 3xCR123!

You can see the step at the top here -- the anodized part is 17mm (0.669"), just like the 123^2 bore, and there's one like it at the head end as well. The throughbore is 0.666" -- the step lights up like a neon sign step in the pictures below (thanks to -- who'd have guessed -- another flashlight!), but it's only 0.002". Think I'll have to rebore larger to fit 17500s, but then again I thought I heard 17650s worked in the 123^2, so maybe I can find unprotected ones small enough to fit this... Or maybe I'll just find a 43/64 drill (that cuts to size) or reamer and fix it.

And moonlight mode now should run for... 45 days.

Default Re: My Quark Turbo 123³ (not a typo)

Oh, I gotta do this now! EXCELLENT

Flashaholic*

Awesome, it seems like you read my mind.
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...=1#post2562458
    Last edited by MichaelW; 09-16-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Very nice - I'm crazy about 3xCR123 lights that can also take 2x17500, that's quite a bit of energy in a handy size. Going from 2xAA NiMH to 2xAW P17500's is around a 70% increase in capacity, and going to 3xCR123 primaries doubles the capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Think I'll have to rebore larger to fit 17500s, but then again I thought I heard 17650s worked in the 123^2, so maybe I can find unprotected ones small enough to fit this... Or maybe I'll just find a 43/64 drill (that cuts to size) or reamer and fix it.
    You mention a (very worthwhile) goal of 17mm protected cells, I've been considering the aspect of 17mm boring for AW protected cells for a while now and my thoughts and measurements are the following:

Considering AW's specified tolerances of his black-label protected 17mm cells and my own measurements of two AW P 17500's and an AW P 17650, the minimum bore ID required would be 0.674" - 0.675", and this tight of an ID may still require the silver cell label to be peeled off. A 43/64 bit should do a 0.672" hole, which is your best bet IMHO. If it works for cells without their labels, perfect, if not, perhaps just a touch of polishing as a finishing step? My measurements on a SureFire L2 body shows that the next size of bit (11/16" for a 0.688" diam. hole) will be too much considering the o-ring grooves.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-16-2011 at 08:40 AM.

YEAH!! I have been pondering how I could have a coupler made that would connect a non-turbo 2x123 body with a spare 1x123 body ever since I bought my Quark 2x123! This is a much more simple and stable idea! Wow! I gotta do this or have this done since I don't have access to any machining tools.

Is it possible to stack one 17650 with a CR123a? It would be like 7.3 volts. Would it have any advantage over 3x123a?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Is it possible to stack one 17650 with a CR123a? It would be like 7.3 volts. Would it have any advantage over 3x123a?
    Voltage mismatch and bad idea.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

If only I had a lathe and some skill, I could finally put my AA2 Quark to some good use...