Which AAA keychain light??

5Sport

Enlightened
I would like a small keychain light around 20.00 that will last. It needs to give off a decent amount of light and have a decent run time (I already ruled out the Fenix E01-not bright enough), for just general use.

Here are my choices:

• Primus PrimeTorch 201 - 12.95
  • Fenix E05 - 19.95
  • ITP-A3-EOS-R5-UPGRADE-OPT - 24.95 plus shipping (Is the Titanium one lighter than the standard ITP-A3 and is this upgrade worth it)-I know this is a subjective question + CPF discount
  • Maratac AAA -23.75 plus shipping
I know that many have covered this before, but I was hoping for some input as to which one to buy. I want something that can sit on my keychain and will not be too heavy in my pocket. Of course I don't absolutely need another light, but you guys are making me buy more. Shame on all of you.

:broke:

choombak

Enlightened
The Fenix E05 will fit your bill - it has a "diffused" light good for close range tasks. The runtime is about 3 hrs. though. From what I read, the ITP is also a good one, but my only experience is not good - the light whined on high, and the body felt very cheap and thin and not robust enough for keychain carry. Maratac AAA is very similar to ITP, and I won't be surprised if its the same factory that makes them.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix E05 will fit your bill - it has a "diffused" light good for close range tasks. The runtime is about 3 hrs. though. From what I read, the ITP is also a good one, but my only experience is not good - the light whined on high, and the body felt very cheap and thin and not robust enough for keychain carry. Maratac AAA is very similar to ITP, and I won't be surprised if its the same factory that makes them.
I agree with the E05. Simple one mode light, floody, runs on AAA, small, and lightweight. I use AAA Eneloop in my E05, which is my keyring light. It is perfect unless you want something fancy with multimodes, I prefer a simple light for the keys.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I been away from CPF for a while, lots of new developments from what i can see, but I'd stick with my Fenix LD01, its got 3 modes, so its plenty versatile enough. It can take 10440 cells as well for that oomph (but runtime on max using a 10440 is pretty short, 10 mins plus IIRC)

flashflood

Enlightened
The iTP A3 on 10440 will give you ~250 lumens on high -- it's insanely bright and has excellent heat-sinking if you stick with aluminum. (SS is pretty but is about 1/20 the thermal conductivity of Al.) The aluminum A3 (XP-G version) with lithium ion battery is, I believe, the #1 lumens per gram of any light. If anyone has a counterexample, please post -- I will buy one of those right away. ;)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like a small keychain light around 20.00 that will last. It needs to give off a decent amount of light and have a decent run time (I already ruled out the Fenix E01-not bright enough), for just general use.

Here are my choices:

• Primus PrimeTorch 201 - 12.95
  • Fenix E05 - 19.95
  • ITP-A3-EOS-R5-UPGRADE-OPT - 24.95 plus shipping (Is the Titanium one lighter than the standard ITP-A3 and is this upgrade worth it)-I know this is a subjective question + CPF discount
  • Maratac AAA -23.75 plus shipping
I know that many have covered this before, but I was hoping for some input as to which one to buy. I want something that can sit on my keychain and will not be too heavy in my pocket. Of course I don't absolutely need another light, but you guys are making me buy more. Shame on all of you.

:broke:

check out the preon revo! or even the quark mini!

if ever you do get a AAA light, make sure you order one that can handle a 10440, this will give it up to 3x to 4x more lumens!

I use the ITP A3 EOS R5 Upgrade running on 10440, its even brighter than my Quark AA2 Tactical S2. Its almost as bright as my lumintop L1C.

Oh no! you've got the flashlight collector bug too! haaa :)

5Sport

Enlightened
The A3 has more output, the E05 has less output and a better keychain light output pattern.

So the E05 is leading so far, but why a better keychain light? Weight, durability.

Someone said that the ITP A3 is not as durable. Is that so? The Titanium one looks pretty cool, but I don't want something that will not last.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the E05 is leading so far, but why a better keychain light? Weight, durability.

Someone said that the ITP A3 is not as durable. Is that so? The Titanium one looks pretty cool, but I don't want something that will not last.

Well, for one thing, the anodizing of the itp A3 is not that good. Its easy to chip off the paint when you drop it even from short distances onto hard objects (like the floor)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll also vote for the Fenix E05.
I have one, and it is very small, which is great for a keyring. Even smaller than an E01.
The reason why I like it is that it's just a simple light. Single-brightness, so you turn it on, and you turn it off. Nothing to remember or fuss with.
Has 27 lumens in the R2 version or 30 lumens in the R4 version, which are both essentially the same brightness. But it's enough light, without being too much or too little.
It's a great amount of light for general purpose personal use.
The beam is a diffused "semi-flood" type beam which is wide enough to see a relatively wide area at close range, and that's a good beam type for these kinds of lights. It is not "glary" and doesn't have much "bounce-bacK" in your face at close range, and is very useful.
The tint of the beam is a nice white color, and none of that green or purple or blue or yellow crap. Just a nice clean white.
No rings or other noticeable beam artifacts, due to the diffuser lens that comes on it.
It's sturdy and well made for a light of this price. And it looks good.

The run time is about 3 hours on an alkaline, but it will run 5 hours on a Lithium L91 Energizer primary battery. And the L91 won't leak if you leave it in the light, and it also weighs less than an alkaline.

All in all, for 20 bucks it is hard to beat, unless you just have to have a bunch of multi-mode switching and blinky settings and all that "bells and whistles" stuff.
It's about the best low-cost simple flashlight with all good qualities that a person might want a flashlight to do.
Not a thrower, but it is a sort of floody personal light that does pretty much anything you'd want a little personal light to do within a reasonable range of about 0-40 feet.
The key to it being great is the diffused floody clean white beam that's just enough, and not too much, in a very tiny simple on/off package that's durable.

Lighteous

Enlightened
I have been carrying a Fenix LD01 on my keychain for some time now. I am very satisified with it. I would have no hesitiation to switch to a better one, but have not come across one that I like better.

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
I love Fenix lights and use my ld10 and ld20 daily, but when I was looking for an aaa light to throw in my pocket, I decided on the iTP. The r5 puts out 96 lumens on high which lights up my whole 30'x36" back garden with no problems. But of course you don't always want that level of light so the low and medium settings come in really handy, especially for closer work. The e05 doesn't offer such versatility.

I got the A3 R5 (upgraded) from Going Gear for $20.50 and got 10% off using the CUTLERYLOVER discount code. Gotta say, it does compare very favorably with the Fenix lights. Very happy with it so far.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
I like the Maratac but with one slight qualifier - I'd recommend buying the SS version. I love mine.

5Sport

Enlightened
Making it tougher to decide. The LD01 is out because of cost, and althouugh I like the look of the Maratac, with shipping it is pushing 30.00.

I guess no one likes or has that Primus Prime Torch?

The E05 is still leading, but the ITP is close (multi modes and I really like titanium stuff, but the light itself is not particularly visually appealing to me)

ARGH

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Making it tougher to decide. The LD01 is out because of cost, and althouugh I like the look of the Maratac, with shipping it is pushing 30.00.

I guess no one likes or has that Primus Prime Torch?

The E05 is still leading, but the ITP is close (multi modes and I really like titanium stuff, but the light itself is not particularly visually appealing to me)

ARGH
You may want to reevaluate the E01. I recommend the E05, but the E01 has its advantages. It seems to be tougher then the E05 based on some previous CPF torture tests, has a proven track record, and has a great runtime. It may still come down to if you want a bunch of modes, or a nice simple key chain light. Do you want to select moonlight or blistering output on a key-chain light? I have another EDC for that, but that ITP A3 always does come up.

hazna

Enlightened
Why is the R4 E05 more expensive than the R2 E05?

R4 is a newer emitter.

Out of the lights your proposed, but on specifications and what I have seen, I would go with the maratac. The maratac and itp are basically the same light, made by the same manufacturer. I would prefer the knurling on the maratac over the itp. The maratac can tailstand, but the itp has a stronger keyring attachment point

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been through most popular keychain light's and I have to say nothing has satisfied me as well as the E05, I don't need multiple modes on a keychain light as long as the one single mode can do it all and that's exactly what the E05 does. It's plenty bright, floody and has good runtimes I use Energizer Lithium's. My keychain light is about the on area of my EDC lights I'm certain I will not be changing anytime soon, go with a E05 it's great.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I carry an ITP A3 EOS as my EDC - they are very popular here at CPF for good reasons - they are a great light.

I suggest you think about which UI would suit you best, currently you can get 3 different UIs if you look around:

Hi only (the standard version)

M/L/H (the superceded Upgrade version)

L/M/H (the latest Upgrade version with the XP-G R5 LED)

For those "hot-rodders" running 10440s in their A3 EOS's here is some free advice: IMR 10440s are much safer when running high current draw (ie direct drive) compared with "std" Li-ion 10440s. IMRs are harder to find, but worth the trouble.