High CRI Triple drop in

st_burt

Newly Enlightened
I just received a drop in using 3 of the new XP-G 90+ CRI emitters. It's so good, I'm wondering if it's made all my other flashlights obsolete. After running it for a while, I compared it to an M61W, to see how much warmer it was. I thought I must have grabbed an M61 by accident because the M61W seemed so cold and ghostly compared to the high CRI triple.

I'm using it in an Overready white cerakoted bored Z2 with a McClicky and an AW 2900mah 18650. I think this might just be the ideal flashlight for me. Comparing it to an incan on new batteries, the beam is a bit creamier, so it's not perfect (more like an incan when the batteries have run down a bit: the color rendering is comparable, but the beam is not as white as an incan on new batteries). Still, it's regulated and run time will be way better. Comparing it to any other LED I have, even a warm tinted one, it actually looks like an incan, it's so different. I'm really amazed at Cree's high CRI XP-G emitter.

I wasn't sure if the reduced brightness would be worth the improvement in tint for a single high CRI XP-G, but for a triple, I think it makes sense. My high CRI triple is quite a bit dimmer than the same drop in (made by Kerberos) using XP-G R5s, but the beam is soooooo much nicer to look at. With such a floody beam, there's a limit to what more lumens can accomplish anyway.

With current technology, I think a high CRI triple on 1 x 18650 may have the ideal balance between run time, size and beam quality. I wouldn't mind a bit more throw, but that's to be expected with a triple. All in all, I'm thrilled with the drop in.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you swap the hi cri in yourself ? This is the first I've heard of it, and within 24 hours of Malkoff hi cri from illumination supply? It's an expensive week for warm lovers if this triple is made by a modder ;)

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I wasn't sure if the reduced brightness would be worth the improvement in tint for a single high CRI XP-G, but for a triple, I think it makes sense.

So far as I can tell, a single XP-G HCRI/90 Q2 puts out about 284 lumens @ 1.5A, resulting in a triple XP-G Q2 putting out about 850 LED lumens, or a quad XP-G Q2 putting out about 1136 LED lumens. With a quad, the output lumens would be roughly comparable to a Torchlab Triple/60 L1C.

Would you be able to put up a few comparison beam shots? Being a Malkoff M61W junkie myself, I imagine from your description it'll be pretty fabulous.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
@st_burt

I see your three Cree XP-G 90CRI's and raise you four Nichia 119 92CRI's. :D Without a doubt my new favorite P60 dropin. Warm, inviting flood with great color rendition? Love it.
businessend.jpg

@pnwoutdoors
I snapped some beamshots of this beastie and posted them here.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just asked Kerberos to build me one of his triples using 90-CRI XP-G's. I can't wait :)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far as I can tell, a single XP-G HCRI/90 Q2 puts out about 284 lumens @ 1.5A, resulting in a triple XP-G Q2 putting out about 850 LED lumens, or a quad XP-G Q2 putting out about 1136 LED lumens. With a quad, the output lumens would be roughly comparable to a Torchlab Triple/60 L1C.

Would you be able to put up a few comparison beam shots? Being a Malkoff M61W junkie myself, I imagine from your description it'll be pretty fabulous.

Kerberos' triple uses a 2.8A driver, giving ~933mA to each emitter. I'm expecting ~450-500 OTF lumens. His R4 builds give ~650 OTF lumens.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome triple and quad guys! For me personally, I think we're one step away from the perfect light engine. If there was a triple or quad drop-in that was 95 cri or higher with a color temp of 4500k (think HID), then that would be it. I would be completely satisfied.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

...and that's speaking strictly in terms of lumens, not in terms of how much better things pop out at you with a high CRI beam. As many incan fans will tell you, it's not all about the lumens, it's about the quality of those lumens. I would be willing to bet that the quality of those high CRI lumens, despite their reduced quantity, has a much higher utility when actually using the light outdoors.

I am quite excited about this thread!

Beamshots?

:popcorn:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I just asked Kerberos to build me one of his triples using 90-CRI XP-G's. I can't wait :)

You and me both my friend!

...and that's speaking strictly in terms of lumens, not in terms of how much better things pop out at you with a high CRI beam. As many incan fans will tell you, it's not all about the lumens, it's about the quality of those lumens. I would be willing to bet that the quality of those high CRI lumens, despite their reduced quantity, has a much higher utility when actually using the light outdoors.

EXACTLY! Ever since I got my Q2 3000K 7A3 (90 minimum CRI) XP-G from Nailbender, ALL of my lights have taken a back seat. I have many that are brighter, but the tint on this thing makes me smile every time. Everything just looks much better and "more comfortable"... Like you are in a fine dining, candle illuminated, establishment. Romantic even! Not that cold, clinical, hospital-esque feeling.

Only High CRI and warm lights for me now that I know better.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Only High CRI and warm lights for me now that I know better.

Agreed. My HDS High CRI has cured me of "cool". I have EDC'd this light since November, and I love it. The 100 lumen max isn't even close to being an issue with me even though competitors have much brighter lights. High CRI is now the way to go for me...

srfreddy

Enlightened
The problem being that incans are a bit too warm for me.... and the don't make slightly whiter High CRI 90 XPG's yet....

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My High-CRI Triple from Kenji arrived today, so I thought I'd share some comparison photos. This triple uses the new 7A3 XP-G that offers a minimum 90 CRI.

First up, the 4 lights. From left to right, it's the Kenji High-CRI 3000K Triple, then a Kenji 4000K R4 Triple, then a Quark AA (the greenest of my cool-tinted lights) then a ma_sha1's Yard Sweeper Triple XM-L (the bluest of my cool tinted lights. Also it was on it 2nd lowest setting, of 7)
All%204.JPG

Now for some man-made colours, in the the same order.
Kenji%20High%20CRI.JPG

Kenji%204000.JPG

Quark.JPG

Triple%20XM-L.JPG

Now some natural colours, in the same order.
Kenji%20High%20CRI%20Tree.JPG

Kenji%204000%20Tree.JPG

Quark%20Tree.JPG

Triple%20XM-L%20Tree.JPG

I'm very impressed by the output from the High-CRI triple. I've read here a lot that the extra CRI makes up for the loss in lumens. The 4000K triple should be good for ~600 OTF lumens. The High-CRI should be only about ~500 OTF lumens, possibly less. Comparing them, you can barely tell them apart, thanks, I'd bet, to the human eye's preference for red light over blue.

The long and the short of it is, the High-CRI makes colours look wonderful and full. As beautiful as the High-CRI XP-G is, though, I do like the 4000K tint better than the 3000K. I think that once we get 4000K High-CRI emitters, I'll be happy as every "happy as" cliche you can think of.

Last edited:

stevenkelby

Enlightened
Hi mvyrmnd,

Would you be able to take a comparo pic with the 4500 TRI EDC, and/or say a few words about how they compare?

Thanks,

Steve