New member with questions

e.williams

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Im new to the site so PLEASE bare with me. I am not new to net forums so I do understand how new memebers can seem so green.

I am looking for a weapons mounted light. I have a lot of needs and after reading thread after thread have confused the heck out of myself.

Price I would like to be at $150 or less.
I need a weapons mounted light that can throw. So I would like about 150 yards of visibility.
Size and weight are very important.
When its on a weapon I need it to be water tight or proof, light weight, small as in not to large in diameter and length.
Battery life really isnt that important since I will carry extra batteries on the weapon.

Again maybe my expectations are too high but if I build it or buy one used I would like to be above 300 lumens with good throw.

So let me know, am I nuts or can I build something or buy one used?

What if I did a surefire 6p or 9 with one of those nice 1000 lumen head upgrades?

thx

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Hello e.williams,

Welcome to CPF.

Depending on the purpose the weapon/weaponlight combination will have to fulfill, you might find the following recent threads of interest to you:

Which Rifle Light: small and light??
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?311283-Which-Rifle-Light-small-and-light

What weapon light are you using on your AR15?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-What-weapon-light-are-you-using-on-your-AR15

Rifle mounted torch for a .223, shooting foxes at night for stock protection
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-shooting-foxes-at-night-for-stock-protection

Regards,

Nachtwacht.

brandocommando

Enlightened
You are not going to be able to get a 1000 lumen set up for $150. Just the LED drop-ins alone cost that much, and you would still need a pressure switch, a mounting system, and a flashlight body. You did not specify if this was for a rifle or a handgun but if you need something for a rifle, this guy has a great deal going on a brand new surefire set-up on CPFMP right now. You could add an LED drop-in to it if you needed more output, but this set-up comes with 2 different incan bulbs to get you started off with.
I would have bought it already, but I don't I need a weapon light....

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?250231-FS-Surefire-M952-kit-01-NIP

Also, if you don't need/want the IR filter you could sell it and put the $ towards a drop in.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy an MH90/XM07 tape switch as seen in the above sales thread, however, the bezel included in this kit is not recommended for high powered LED Drop-ins, as the shock isolated bezel with the M951 (the "Z32" Bezel) is known to trap heat instead of dissipate it, possibly damaging an LED Drop-in. You can however get a regular Z44 bezel, but, again, would be limited to non-Malkoff drop-ins, as the LU60 (the adapter that connects the MH90 and the Bezel) will not accept a malkoff with-out extensive modification.

For ease of use and head-aches, I'd go with a 9P/6P mounted with a Flashlight Mount for 1" Bodies (these come in the form of standard 1" Scope mounts to special light mounts found all over the internet, including Viking Tactical, LaRue, GG&G, or the Surefire 1" Mount (M79). This will alow the most flexibility, and will also allow you to use the light as a hand-held if needed.

If you want a dedicated weapon light, the M951 is an excellent choice, and is standard issue for 90% of the US Army/Marines. The sales thread linked above is an awesome price on these kits, and I would grab some if I had extra funds and didn't already have several, but, again, these will limit you on your options, and are best used in there stock configuration.

Check out the diagram link in my Sig for more options on using the MH90 (the main body of the M951/M952), and the different LEGO'ing configs,and Welcome to CPF!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M951 I don't think would be a good choice since he did mention that size and weight is a consideration. I have owned, used and abused MANY dedicated weapons lights and the one I'm most impressed with for the money is the Streamlight TLR-1 - it fits nicely under your budget, has good throw and output, is extremely lightweight, and super durable. In fact, it's one of the only weaponlights I've used that's never blown off my firearm unexepectedly. I wouldn't trust quick detach lights unless you're going to stick it on something 9mm/.45 or under. My second choice would be probably a 6P or something with a shock-isolated bezel (Z32, M2) and Malkoff M60/61.

e.williams

Newly Enlightened
Good stuff, thanks guys.

So I have had other cheap lights that advertise high lumen output but these things tend to "turn off" or light goes out with the slightest of contact. So what causes a light to flicker or shut off when bumped or if weapon mounted when the weapon is fired?

And if I go with a surefire 6 series and add a drop in should I be woried about any of these failing or shutting off vs factory bulbs/heads?

thx in advance.