Who makes a small flood?

Doug

Enlightened
Looking for wider than average beam..... I have 10440 the AA size high voltage, R/CR123's, 18650's..... Any suggestions?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Zebralight all the way!
The Zebralight ''F'' models have very wide beams, and the H501 have even wider, but with less output.
You can't use 3,7 V 14500 batteries in their AA models, but you can use RCR123's in their CR123 models ;) VERY bright lights. Can't recommend them enough.
If you want to use RCR123s, they can only offer lights from their Headlamp series (can easily be used as flashlights, just angled)

The NiteCore EZ AA R5 is a floody littly bugger, capable of handling the curent from a 3.7v li-ion 14500 cell. It's essentially a programmable single-stage twist-switch light (allowing you to easily switch from a low of about 6 lumens, to a high output of something around 165 lumens). It uses an XP-G emitter. It won't shatter any out-the-front lumen records, but it produces a really, really nice flood beam of pure, flawless snow white light. I find it excellent for illumination tasks indoors.

Another excellent pocket light is the Xeno E03, also using an XP-G emitter. This one seems to be driven a bit harder, yielding more light. It's offered with a three-stage reverse clicky, and can also handle a 14500 li-ion cell. A bonus is the availability of warm, neutral, and snow-white color temps in your choice of emitter. This light is a bit bigger, but still easily pocketable.

Finally, the new ThruNite Neutron 1A (1xAA / 1x14500 format) is a really, really nice, broad, flood beam producing pocket torch. XM-L emitter. Snow white beam tint; no off colors anywhere. More accurately, it produces a huge hotspot and generous spill beam, blending seamlessly into a very usable corona. The overall effect is a beautiful room sweeper of a pocket torch. The Neutron is the biggest of the three, although still very much remaining in the category of pocket light.

Best of luck choosing...although the community chorus will by now have voices swelling, all singing the flashaholic's mantra...GET BOTH !!! Or in this case, all three. :devil:

After posting the above, it occurred to me that you might want to try one of Download's custom-manufactured Pocket Rockets. These are similar in size to Shiningbeam's S-Mini II, or a Fenix PD30, and are custom-built around the 18650 li-ion cell configuration. The 1st through 7th runs used SST-50 emitters, and produce a whopping huge flood of light. The 8th run has not yet opened for pre-orders, but is reported to use the XM-L emitter, for light output similar to the SST-50, but with longer runtime.

Lights from earlier production runs are occasionally available for private sale in the Custom & Modified section of this forum. These lights feature excellent workmanship, and are a real joy to use and to hold. The 8th run, no matter which emitter will be used, is likely to be an excellent purchase (assuming you can get your order in before the pre-order list is filled). These go fast, so if you want one, don't hesitate to pull the trigger.

You won't be disappointed.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the Zebralight. If you want to use 18650 cells, get the SC60 (or SC60W if you like neutral). It is the floodiest light I own and it is only 4" long.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a light with a focusable optic like the romisen rc series or the sipik sk68 might fit the bill?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for wider than average beam..... I have 10440 the AA size high voltage, R/CR123's, 18650's..... Any suggestions?

for the 10440, the preon revo or the ITP A3 Upgraded

for the RCR123, the Thrunite Neutron 2C (Using the latest XML T6 from Cree) *the floodiest LED they have to date

for 18650, well, the SC60 is my vote, also maybe the Thrunite Neutron 2C which can run the 18650 cell too.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
The Quark MiniX 123 would have to fairly floody, and properly bright :)

+1 on that. It is fiendishly bright and floody for such a small light.
You might want to also try the Lumapower Trust Model-1. It's pretty floody also.
Also, have a look at the Peak Rainier. With a rechargeable feeding it you get around 350+ lumens of flood! It's totally MAD! The only downside of the Rainier is it's on and off, single mode. I'm currently waiting on some QTC pills to rectify that little issue on mine so I'll let you know how it goes.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A vme host and a malkoff m61 module. I love my little twisty. I got a m60wlf in mine, this little thing feels solid as a rock, not that powerhungy, and perfect flood. The newer m61 series all got a nice floody beam, and you can pick the tint and output (runtime) that you like. Its also easy to "lego" :)

srfreddy

Enlightened
How does it become superior to the 2C? other than being smaller and less bright.

Better efficiency on lower modes, much higher PWM, the 2C doesn't fit a 17670- it needs a 14670, the 2C only puts out 40 more lumens on CR123, and the 1C puts out 500 lumens on an RCR cell, vs. the 2C's 360. Of course, the 2C runs much longer on high.