My GF expressed an interest in having her own flashlight! Now I need help!

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
I've started a couple threads as of late. One for ideas for my Fathers 70th birthday, and the other for me finally going down the AA road for a nice SHTF light. Got some great responses, and thanks for that. Now I have a new dilemma.

Over the weekend I was watching a movie with my girlfriend when the woman on screen pulled a flashlight out of her purse to use it to navigate her house, as she came home to find the power out on her block. I commented how much I could appreciate a woman who carried a light with her, and the GF then stated that should we carry one if I cared enough to buy her one.

Well, how can I say no to that? She's seen me with my Quark 123^2 on occasion and she can appreciate the fact that she's seen me not only banish the night, but also gently light her dinner menu for her in a dimly lit restaurant before. But, I have no idea what to get her. It would be going in her hand bag, which is a bag of holding. So it would need to be able to take a knocking getting bounced and jostled all day, and not accidentally turn on in her bag or blow her to kingdom come.

Any ideas?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the ITP A3 EOS to be an excellent gift light. And you can even get it in different colors.

--flatline

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine adopted my TK11 and has it in her purse all the time, I put some orange paracord on it attached with a split ring so she can find it easier through all the junk. It worked out good, its a tough light, easy to operate and she likes it. I check the 18650 voltage when I check my other batteries or do maintenance on my lights, and top it off if its under 4.1 or so. I think Li-ion rechargables won't blow up in a light.... unless they are in multi cell configurations and at different charged capacities (empty cell and 100% charged cell). Even then I'm pretty sure they usually have more problems barfing flames during the recharge rather than the discharge. I was going to get her an AA light, but I don't use my TK11 very often since I EDC other smaller lights and she just started using it. I would recommend you let her carry a few of yours first before you buy one, see what she likes first.

AaronG

Enlightened
TK11 in her purse! I think she's coming over to the dark side :devil: Seriously though I think a Fenix LD01 or 4sevens REVO would be a better option. A single AA light if she wants something bigger. Maybe a 4sevens mini AA.

KLowD9x

Banned
How about something small like a 4Sevens Quark MiNiX?

A decently low low, very usable medium and a high that would knock the socks off of a lot of other lights. Not to mention a size that isn't cumbersome in the slightest and a place for a split ring with a lanyard to make finding the light in a bag easier.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I gave my gf a 4Sevens Preon, red in color and got a clicky tailcap for it. She likes it and it works. Runs on AAA. Then I forced a Quark regular AA on her. She likes it because its small and light and doesn't weigh down her purse. Another good idea, not that Ive used one, but might be a Nitecore IFE2, one of those full rotary deals that ramps up the light as you turn it. They seem pretty simple to operate if my understanding of them is accurate. I would also recommend staying away from LI-Ion's. After explaining to her the risks of them shes literally had nightmares about my 12 lithiums burning down the house. Then you have to charge them and all that. Not worth it, especially since I would guess the ladies will be using their lights sparingly.

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
How about a Preon 2? Bright for it's size, available in different colors or titanium, has a clickie switch that can be locked out with a twist of the head.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing you should buy is an engagement ring!

My wife just rolls her eyes at me. She's not interested at all.

flashflood

Enlightened
The first thing you should buy is an engagement ring!

Hey, you stole my line! Actually, this could be fun: get her the iTP A3 in stainless steel (nice and shiny). Give it to her, and when she opens it up, have her discover the engagement ring on the A3's keychain ring! Geeky, but memorable.

Of course, if you're not actually thinking of marrying the girl, go with aluminum.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stainless Steel is lovely and all, but nothing says "I'm a geek and I love you" like Titanium!

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
LOL! She's my GF for 8 years now and for all intents and purposes we are married, and have mutually decided this is as close as we would like to get. We've both been there and done that, have the t-shirt. Maybe a Quark Mini with a lanyard. Great idea by the way on the lanyard as that would make fishing it out of the purse much easier. Plus I could put a nice brass skull bead on it or something as she's got a thing for skulls. I've been thinking a lot about an AA light, so maybe there AA version or a Thrunite Neutron. I've had my eye on the Jetbeam Raptor as well, and it could serve double duty with the AA extender. Hmmm... this is worse than picking out a ring. So many choices.

adnj

Enlightened
My GFs like the smaller lights because they take up less space. Try one of the 47s (Mini, preon, Quark, etc.) in AA or AAA. The user interface is so straight forward everyone I have seen gets it right away.

dickwyn

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD15 I gave my wive and she loves it. 2 modes and it turns on in high mode.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife likes the Fenix P2D I gave her and she will not even consider trying something else, she is terrible with light discipline so she likes max output which means she keeps the head tight for a whopping 180lm.

If I was you I would look at the Fenix models and like my wife she can decide to either go with the bezel loose and change output modes herself or just tighten the head and use it like a single output light. Maybe a LD10 with the head tight and then if she ever wants a lower output she can just just loosen the head.