Zebralight SC51 Sharp Edge?

holygeez03

Enlightened
I searched around and couldn't find anything on this...

I have a SC51w that I have been carrying for a while now and I have been really bothered by the sharp edge on the "ring" that provides the mounting point for the clip.

Every other edge on the light is wonderfully beveled, but it seems like this piece got missed.

Has anyone else experienced this? I really think Zebralight should address this issue.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Every right angle on the body of my example was sharp. Seems to be a somewhat common occurrence with these lights.

holygeez03

Enlightened
On mine it is only sharp on one edge... it really looks like the piece that allows the clip to attach on a flat surface was added to the design late and the bevel was forgotten. I didn't think it was a big deal at first, but it really annoys me now when I have the light clipped to my pocket and I reach into my pocket for something else.

I figured I would probably find a lot of posts on here about others having the same complaint. I was surprised that I couldn't find anything... and now I wonder if I got an early model and the issue has been fixed.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Mine is sharp there too (but only on the edge facing away from the tailcap). I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out, but it will probably bug me like crazy from now on, damm you ! Mine is an "early build" cool white SC51.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Mine is also an "early build" SC51w. I am attempting to find out from customer service if the issue has been addressed in the design or can be fixed. They have offered to replace the light, but that isn't going to help if it is just part of the design.

The edge I am referring to is also facing away from the tailcap... I think the edge that faces the tailcap is smooth because it is flush with the tailcap, i.e. no need for a bevel. But the other side absolutely NEEDS to be beveled. I don't think I am being all that picky either since I have tried to "live with it" for a couple months. I currently have a piece of gaffer tape across the edge... which helps alot, but eventually the tape will start to peel.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Mine has a bit of an edge too, but not too much so it's not a problem for me.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Yep, mine has the same edge. Very "crisp" machining. It doesn't bother me, but if it does you, you might just have to file it or as carrot suggested, relieve the edge with a little sandpaper. I don't think a "replacement" light will be one bit different. It sucks to have to mess up that beautiful anodizing but I believe it's the only option you have. Like I said, the ZL's have very crisp machining. All my SC series lights are identical in that respect. I remember reading in one post here, I can't remember which one now, about one member who mentioned he filed his fingernails with the sharp edges of the cooling fins! LOL. Anyway, if you sand it or file it a tad, maybe you could touch up that edge with something so the aluminum isn't so shiny and noticeable. Good luck. Hope you find a solution you're happy with.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight take notice. Some of us would consider this a design flaw. There has been talk of this for a while; there is really no excuse to not bevel the edges.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I´m anxious to see my new SC51w. It will be my first Zebralight... I just bought one but it´s still on transit.

Where exactly is this sharp edge? Do you have some pics?

holygeez03

Enlightened
The annoying thing is that it is just the one edge... I count 4 other edges that are beveled nicely. I really think it is something that got "missed" when the clip was added to the design.

Rej

Newly Enlightened
Just received my SC51 a week ago, and after reading this tread...(dam you all), I did find a slightly sharp edge!

Same location on the head-side of the 'clips raised edge', but in my case it's not too bad.

It should have been filleted slightly, but considering the lights overall quality & performance.... a non-issue IMO.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I agree that it is just one issue on an otherwise awesome design... and if it weren't clipped to the corner of my pocket, it would probably be a non-issue... BUT after brushing my hand against the edge repeatedly when reaching into my pocket, it has become an issue. And since it seems to be an oversight, I think it should be addressed. If nothing else, hopefully the next iteration will be smooth everywhere.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just slipped the proper size o-ring under the clip and up against where the edge is and that cures that problem. I like o-rings placed somewhere around there on most of my lights anyway. It provides kind of a catch.. for gripping purposes and sometimes helps me to properly orientate the light in my hand for use by feeling for it. Then I know that's the tail.

holygeez03

Enlightened
The o-ring idea is a pretty good solution... Still not completely satisfied, but it's better than my tape and definitely easier than filing.

I tried a few different o-ring sizes and found the best size to be the replacement that came with the SC51. I had some that were thinner, with a similar inside diameter, but they didn't seem to grip and stay put as well. The SC51 o-rings are a little thick and protrude above the edge, but it works pretty well for now.

Lite_me, do you know that particular size you are using?

Does anyone know where I can get a glow-in-the-dark o-ring?

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
The o-ring idea is a pretty good solution... Still not completely satisfied, but it's better than my tape and definitely easier than filing.

I tried a few different o-ring sizes and found the best size to be the replacement that came with the SC51. I had some that were thinner, with a similar inside diameter, but they didn't seem to grip and stay put as well. The SC51 o-rings are a little thick and protrude above the edge, but it works pretty well for now.

Lite_me, do you know that particular size you are using?

Does anyone know where I can get a glow-in-the-dark o-ring?
I believe I tried using one of the included o-rings but struggled trying to get it on so I used what I usually do. One of these from Harbor Freight. I don't know what size it is, they're numbered. I just pick the one that fits. It is a bit fat, but that's OK as I like it for grip also.
Here's a pic.. please excuse the pocket lint. :eek:

dsc01301bi.jpg

holygeez03

Enlightened
I tried the o-ring solution... I really like it as the best option, however, after actual use I found that when I reach into my pocket the o-ring gets rolled down on the light. Perhaps a tighter ring will help, or maybe a few dots of glue. Any ideas out there?

mrlysle

Enlightened
Maybe a little drip of the very thin super glue. Clean the O-ring good with some alcohol, slide it up under the clip almost as far as it will go, then put a drop of super glue between the o-ring and the body. (closest to the tailcap) Then quickly work the o-ring the rest of the way up, against the shoulder. capillary action should let the glue work it's way all the way around the o-ring and shoulder. Really, the more I think about it, a quad ring would work better than an o-ring, if you can find one. Almost square in shape and wouldn't want to roll back down the body, especially with the little drop of super glue. Or maybe you could find a square cut rubber washer at a hardware store. I'm just thinking that something more square in cross section would work better than round.

Last edited: