HDS EDC 42 XR GT Mod advice--Success!!!!

kevinm

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I have a flawless HDS EDC 42 XRGT (#2603) with all the packaging and manuals. My plan was to mod it with an XM-L to make another like my 120P. I have two problems:

1. How do I get this thing apart? I don't see a retaining ring like the 120P has.

2. It's SOOOOO nice. I'm afraid to scratch it. :crazy:

To mod or not to mod...that is the question!

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Re: HDS EDC 42 XR GT Mod advice

Assuming you have the stock bezel, find a mousepad with the soft rubber/foam backing and press the head of the light into it and twist to remove the flush bezel ring. Alternatively you could use the soft rubber sole of a shoe (make sure it's clean). Once you remove the bezel ring the lens should drop right out. Next remove the thin black O-ring that holds the reflector in place with a sharp toothpick. The reflector will drop out after you remove the O-ring and you should see the LED emitter and 2 round holes, one above and one below the LED. Remove the tailcap if you haven't already. Insert a pair of small needle-nosed pliers into those holes above & below the LED and twist it clockwise and it will start to unscrew down towards the tailcap end. Just keep twisting until the light engine drops out. I found it easier to hold the pliers in place and twist the main head/body around the light engine than the other way around. Once it's out, modding it is the same as modding a Novatac light engine.

If yours was a mint super rare HDS EDC U80/GT then I would keep it stock. Otherwise I'd say mod it and EDC it. I still like the size and interface of the old HDS EDCs better than my neutral XP-G modded Ra Clicky. I'm just waiting for some neutral tinted XM-Ls before modding my U60 again from the SSC P4 I currently have in mine.

kevinm

Enlightened

Thanks for the info AvroArrow!

I did the mod with a C1 tint T6 XM-L. Man, it's bright! Easily as bright as my EX10 modded to 200 lumens with a hotspot twice the size. I'd guess 500 lumens. It has better throw than the 120p due to the smooth reflector too.

AvroArrow

Enlightened

Nice! Do you have a picture of the newly modded light engine? What XM-L board/PCB did you use? Diameter? Thickness? Some of the XP-G mods I've seen needed to shim up the PCB (when using a Sandwich Shoppe 8x1mm board) or cut down a 10x2mm board plus some insulation on top of the newly soldered wires to prevent it from shorting on the metal reflector so I'd like to know if you had to do anything like that to get it to fit and focus. I was looking around and it looks like Cutter has some T4 bin neutral XM-Ls (5?? tint) now so I may have to get off my lazy butt and order some to finally do the mod on my U60s.

kevinm

Enlightened

Nope, but I should have some free time for pics later this week. The board is one of the 8mm from here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?247689-8mm-XM-L-MCPCB

I had one I screwed up (heated it too much and the mask came off) that I used as a shim under the one with the LED. No insulation necessary due to really careful bending of the leads. You should mod one; as you said, much nicer than the 120P.