Newbie with specific requirements and little knowledge…

yovwmon

Newly Enlightened
Hi there – thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Over the last couple days I've been searching the web and local retail locations for a EDC flashlight but I have set some very specific requirements and having a very hard time finding what I'm looking for.

I recently began working for a company located in a big city, and somewhat sketchy area. I use public transportation and often have to walk some distance, and/or taxi in areas that can quickly become unsafe. In addition to the above I recently began constructing an every day carry urban survival kit. I have dedicated a section of my workbag for an emergency situation, whether it's a power outage or terror attack I want to be prepared and have the tools to get out.

The ideal flashlight would fit the following criteria:
- Doubles as a small baton
- Good flood throw balance
- 170-200 lumens
- 2 AA battery operation
- Light weight
- Around $50

I've been searching for a flashlight vendor that would allow me to filter by all this criteria but haven't had any luck. Appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Thanks!

Jackasper

Enlightened
With the exception of being used as a baton ~ have a look at the Eagletac P100A2. Excellent light. Very easy user interface (hi-low). 195 lumens. 2 AA batteries. Under $40.
I have one and love it. Light Junction.com, Flashlight Connection.com are just a few who carry them....

flashflood

Enlightened
2xAA implies pretty small, and thus not much of a baton. So, lighting aside, what physical attributes would you like? Length, diameter, weight, type of metal, tactical bezel? Also, would you consider non-AA power such as 18650 lithium ion? Let us know, and I'm sure we can suggest many things that meet those requirements and deliver 200+ lumens.

If you really do want to stay small, light, and 2xAA, check out the Thrunite Neutron 2AA:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/thrunite-neutron-2aa.html

I've had great experience with both the light and the seller.

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
yovwmon,

Although your intended use is a little out of my realm of experience, two very popular 2xAA lights around here are the Quark AA^2 Tactical and Fenix LD20. Two older threads that discuss the merits of each can be found here and here. Of the two I prefer the Quark for the lower lows and the ability to tail stand. However, the Quark line has experienced tint variability in their latest S2 version - which may not be a factor for you.

They are about $10 over your budget - but you may find previously owned units in the MarketPlace (you have to register there too). Also, once you are a member there (and pass the minimum posting requirements), dealer discounts are available to you that will lower the price of purchasing new to very close to your target.

If you are brand new to the flashlight scene, consider the battery type you'll use (don't use alkaline). I prefer eneloops, but Energizer Ultimates might be better for your application. More battery/charger info can be found here. Final thought; this forum's search function is a wonderful tool - a vast amount of info is at your fingertips!

:welcome: - Jas.

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Solarforce L2R and their low voltage drop-in. Under $30 and will do everything you're looking for.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Hello Yovwmon,

For AA flashlights in the +/- $50,00 range check out these threads:

2xAA Round-up Review - by Selfbuilt:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nix-Nitecore-Olight-ITP-Eagletac-Jetbeam-Mag-...

4Sevens Quark AA Comparison Review - by UnknownVT:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?233925-4Sevens-Quark-AA-Comparison-Review

Also AA ---> a lot more expensive, but worth taking a look at:
- SureFire E2L AA Outdoorsman;
- Malkoff Valiant Little Twisty 2xAA (with Malkoff M31 / M31L / M31LL drop-in).

yovwmon

Newly Enlightened
Everyone – Thank you for the great responses!

I'm gaining more knowledge but there is just so much to analyze here, I began constructing a spreadsheet to identify what market offering closest match my requirements. Many of you had asked for additional information about my requirements so I have created the list below. These are not set in stone but ideally I would like to be as close as possible. Thanks again for your assistance.

2vc88b7.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Light-weight and doubling as a baton seem a bit mutually exclusive. There are a lot of lights that sort of fit across your categories. One that does pretty well is the JetBeam BA20 I just reviewed. Hi mode exceeds your specs, and initial output on Lo is pretty close (although it slowly drops to lower levels). Runtime performance is excellent. Weight and beam pattern are both a very good balance. And the price is right at ~$40 MSRP.

There are some older lights that may also fit (although max output might be a bit low). Fenix TK20 comes to mind as something with a lot more heft (and more throw). Now sure of the going price now, but might be able to find one in your range. That light is in my old 2xAA round-up thread. And of course, there are the more slimlined Fenix, Olight, 4Sevens, Eagletac, etc models. Might be able to get a good deal on one of the older versions somewhere.

Last edited: