Olight M-20 XR-E R2 vs M-20 XP-G S2

goldenboy

Newly Enlightened
Need this forums advice. I own an Olight M-20 XR-E R2. The light has always seemed a little green to me. Also own the Fenix TK-11 XP-G R5 as well. This light looks "whiter" but maybe it is just the bright "spot" it throws compared to the OP reflector of the M-20. Anyway, how would the new M-20 XP-G S2 compare to the TK-11 R5? As "white" or possibly whiter? Looking for the three modes of the M-20, but in a whiter light. And I have been looking at the side switch model as well. For ease of use, no turning the bezel to change modes.
Second, would I improve the "throw" of the OP M-20 either the R2 or the S2 with a smooth reflector? And if one would benefit more than the other, which one would that be? Sorry for how I drug this out. But these lights have been no small purchase for me. And wont "move up" to the XP-G S2 if there isnt a noticeable improvement in light color (colder) over the XP-G R5 in the TK-11.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Your current M20 would throw a little further with the smooth reflector, but then the pattern is quite 'ringy'. Of course, if you are looking to project light further, then you aren't white wall hunting, so that may be no concern to you.

The XP-G S2 is brighter - in terms of absolute lumen count - than the XR-E R2, but the R2 is known for it's throw.

I have a M20 Special Operations model - it has the S2 emitter and the push button mode switch - and mine is perhaps a touch yellow. Not excessively so, but not pure cool white. A number of people state that they have a slight yellow or green tint. The beam also has a doughnut hole in the centre. Again, certainly not the worst that I've seen. Most likely not helped by the smooth reflector.

Last edited:

goldenboy

Newly Enlightened
Bump.
And does anyone know of any reviews/beam shote of the XP-G S2 in the M-20???? Really need some good advice b-4 sending off the green for one of these. THANKS!!!