Brightest and Best LED Flashlight

DEthanB

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum as I was looking for information on LED Flashlights and came upon it tonight. I'm curious if anyone knows what LED Flashlight will produce the brightest light over the longest distance?

I want to use it on my recumbent bicycle as I ride to and from work in the dark and am looking for something that is a bit easier on batteries.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thank You,
D. Ethan B. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps you can tell us what type of batteries would you prefer to use as that can narrow down the selection a lot. What about run time? And as for longest distance, aproximately how far are you talking? Do you live in a city? The street lamps causes lower visbility when using the same torch compared to somewhere darker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Hi DEthanB. I think I understand what you're after. The one thing you need to keep in mind about LED's, is that to get the same output or throw as an incan bulb, you're probably going to have to go with a 5 watt Luxeon. Most of these are kind of expensive, and the run times aren't dramatically better than a good xenon light. The two you might want to look at are the Surefire L4 and the Streamlight TL-3 LED. You can get fantastic run time from standard, multiple LED lights, but most of them have more of a short distance, flood-type beam. IMHO, LED's have come a long way, but for some applications, they just can't quite beat a good incan light (yet).

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
To expound upon gadgetnut's post; Runtime is always at the expense of brightness, batteries being equal.

LEDs are only about as efficient as halogen incandescent bulbs at this point (someone actually mathematically figured this out and it was confirmed in some posts a while back). LED lights with longer runtimes put out a fraction of the light of LEDs with short runtimes. The result is performance that will probably be less than adequate for your bike. If you want the same brightness as a halogen incandescent bicycle headlight, you'll probably see about the same runtime.

RevDavid

Enlightened
True enough, though with a Surefire L4, the light output is regulated, so you don't get the long slow diedown in brightness you get from even really nice incandescents.

I also think that the bright white of the LED might be more visible to drivers... it certainly catches my eye more than the light of incandescents...
and this might still make it a safer, though not really a more efficient light.

Be sure to carry spares, whatever you take. These things eat up batteries pretty fast. Check out the vendors advertising here for some awesome prices on lithium 123 cells. $1-1.25 each, instead of the $5 to $10 you see in many retail stores.

David <><

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
I am an avid mountain biker and frequently ride very technical terrain at night. For many years I used 10 and 12 Watt rechargable halogen lighting systems. This year, I Made a 5 Watt bar mount Luxeon Star system with NX05 optics and rechargable 8.4 V NiMH battery pack - runs about 2 hours. I will never go back to the sickly yellow light.

- Percieved usable light output of the 5W Star is equal to or better than the 10W high efficiency halogen.

- 5 watts is only 1/2 the power used as a 10 watt halogen system - thus 2X the battery life or 1/2 the battery size.

- White light is much easier on the eyes than the yellow incandescent - as long as you are no looking into the beam.

- White light seems to bring more definition to the trail/ road or whatever you may be riding on.

DEthanB

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I didn't expect so much conversation over "What I thought was" a simple question. Unfortunately, I didn't think too hard on the possibilities of such a question and as a result I see all of you have some valid follow-up's and dialogue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

What I'm Looking For:
1) I would like it small (Short and or Fat)
2) Alkaline Batteries, AAA, AA, C, D or whatever as long as they are readily available anywhere.
3) Water Resistant (Rains a lot in Oregon)
4) Under $50.00
5) Preferably Metal Body
6) Multiple LED's for increased light, but focused with a special lens for spotlight effect rather than flood.

I've been looking at Single LED's with the Focused Lens on the front, i.e. Brinkmann Long Life, PAL Survival Lite, Princeton Tec Impact, and some others. I like the focused beam as it seems to put more light where I need it, compared to "Flood" style LED's. I've tried both, and I like the Spotlight over the Flood.

If the price is low on what is recommended, I was thinking of getting two of the same flashlights and overlapping the beams to provide enough luminence in front of me with the single LED's lights. As with new technology, the prices are quite steep on what I've seen, and am looking for recommendations from the Experts (such as yourselves) to provide me with something useful.

Unfortunately I'm a perfectionist, obsessive compulsive, and very demanding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, and when I don't find what I'm looking for I tend to build it myself which costs me 10-100 times more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif, but I learn and end up with what I want.

I hope this helps you all out, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Thank You,
D. Ethan B. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i have 2 of the lights you mentioned: palights and impact 2.

personally, i prefer more of a flood, or a spot with nice side-spill.

the impact 2 is pretty nice, but it is only a single led with a deep reflector and focusing lens. it does throw pretty well, but it is plastic.

the stock Palight has a lens that turns it into an effective spot. the beam is pretty tight, with no sidespill. it might suit your needs. however, it is not metal, and only has 1 led.

you can easily pop the lens out and have a flood, if needed.

i recommend the palight onestar or selector. (or whichever has the 5mm LED. i am not fond of the surface mount LED in the workman model).

there are more possibilities, but they are a bit bigger.

dorcy has a new 2c 8 led model, but it does not have a lens to tighten the beam.

if you could go with minimag size, i would heartily recommend a madmax or badboy 400 drop-in. i think you can add an acrylic half ball to focus the beam, though i have never seen the beam with the half ball used.

you could do the above for roughly $50-$60.

oops, i just re-read you initial post...and i am also an avid cyclist. i would recommend a well-driven 1w luxeon light, perhaps with a reflector or nx01/nx05 combo.

i think the above mentioned lights will not be enough light for your needs. (except maybe the badboy/madmax).

you have a search ahead of you--so good luck and happy hunting!

Bob

Thegonagle

Newly Enlightened
CatEye has a 5 LED focused bike headlight for about $25, IIRC. Check your LBS. I'd get one of those, and set it to blinkie for the city (with street lights), and keep a decent incan. to flip on when you hit darker paths.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
An Everled in a Mag-lite gives a pretty good narrow spot with a good amount of overall light. Might want to look in the Electrolumens forum. The Blaster JR. might be a good choice runs on 4AA, I don't know if it has a spot or flood beam. There's also the new Brinkmann Rebel 2D that has 4 5mm leds and 4 lenses to give you 1 solid spot.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The 2-D 4-LED Brinkmann sucks - when compared with some other LED lights that is. :toliet:

The brightest LED flashlight I have is a Space Needle II with a 5W white Luxeon Star LED. But as I understand, Charlie isn't making Space Needles anymore. The SureFire L4 (KL4) is a bright 5-watter (and it'll probably fit on the handlebars of the bike better too), but it has a wider beam than a Space Needle II. Neither light will fit your "under $50" and "runs on AAA, AA, C, or D" categories though. The CMG Reactor 3 might work - though it has a polycarbonate head and a metal body & bezel. It has a 1.2 watt Luxeon Star LED; generally considered to be as bright as 10-15 regular 5mm LEDs.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
D Ethan B,
Welcome to the CPF! I understand your demands, I ride a recumbent myself (fully suspended SWB with USS) I commute to work with it and all my lighting is done with those photon producing PN junctions.
On the helmet is a Brinkmann Legend 2AA light with a Badboy 400mA regulated Q rank Luxeon LED. The optics are the stock NX05 and it does OK, I am easily seen with the light. The optics are not that great for throw so Fraen low profile optics are on order. This means a change from low dome to high dome so Wayne (dat2zip) is building me a 500mA regulated R ranked Luxeon (about 64% brighter). The main thing is the new optics they have much longer throw with a wider hotspot and no flood...I will post when I get all those parts together and let the fellow cyclists on the board know how well it works.
For the frame-mounted light, my recently built Mag 2D with a Madmax+ regulator pushing my R ranked LED really throws out there with the Mag reflector. The Madmax+ pushes about 800mA and 3.7 volts to the LED (~3 watts) The beam is very, very narrow but I can't override the light even at 20MPH (32KPH) The helmet light has a wider beam so I it helps alot when cruising around.
The rear light is the 18 LED Emerson red flasher, cars change lanes to stay away from that thing; very annoying!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Elektrolumens makes a 5W white 2D size flashlight that you can fill with 6 AA NiMH rechargable batteries, it is very strong and should suit your needs well. In a month or two, Lumileds will release their 3 watt Luxeon Stars... Elektrolumens has put three of them in a 3D light (NiMH) and at around 10 watts or so...it really threw the light out there and with decent flood. That is always an option. The triple 1.25 watt LED version is $90, when the 3 watters are available they can be switched out.
Welcome to the board and if you see a blinding, pure white pencil beam cooking your retinas along with a helmet light moving around...that is me on the ole recumbent. Let us know what insanity you plan on wiring up.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The CMG Reactor 3 might work - though it has a polycarbonate head and a metal body & bezel. It has a 1.2 watt Luxeon Star LED; generally considered to be as bright as 10-15 regular 5mm LEDs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got one I'd consider selling if you're interested...PM me

DEthanB

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've been shopping around and looking at all of the options listed above. I sure do appreciate the help!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What I think I'm going to do is buy 3 or 4 Brinkmann Long Life LED Flashlights, stip em down, and rebuild then in a case that is small and easier to use (then the three or 4 separate lights). I'll focus all of the beams about 20-30 feet in front of me so they overlap slightly producing a good center spot light, and a partial flood around the surrounding spot lit area.

I've purchased quite a few lights over the past week to test and I like the spot light of the Brinkmann Lights (They're cheap too). The focused lens really makes a big difference.

I've purchased a couple of other flood lights, Inova X-5 Tactical, and the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA. I liked the flood effect of these two lights (Very Bright), but there wasn't enough focused light for me to see out there a ways. Unfortunately in the area that I ride to and from work I need the spot light to see the glass, nails, and other objects on the road early enough to try and avoid these objects, or at least until my airless tires arrive (which is taking FOREVER).

SOOoo, I'm going to try and build something small, useful, and as efficient as I can make it?! Although I'm not an electrician, I've dabbled a bit here and there, and I have found enourmous amounts of information on wiring, and electronics on the Internet.

If anyone has any other idea, let me know as I'm still open to just about anything.

Thanks Again,
D. Ethan B.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
D. Ethan B.
Those airless tires are really rough on rims and spokes, all the force of bumps is absorbed by the rim at point of impact. This can lead to rim damage and ultimate wheel failure. I use kevlar belted tires (Snafu Rim Job 20x1.95 130 PSI on the front, Specialized Nimbus EX 700x35C 100 PSI on the back)
For throw, Luxeon lights work best...they can be focused to any beam you desire. The Fraen low profile optics seem the best for 2AA lights...I will know in a week or so.

DEthanB

Newly Enlightened
Eventually I'll probably build my own light using some Luxeon Lights, or something else, but for now I really need something pretty quick. I switched over to night shift, and the days are getting shorter, so I've purchased a couple of the Brinkmann's to get me by.

In reallity, I think I'd be much happier building something I know is going to work for what I need. I love the light emitted by the LED's compared to incandescent, and I like the electronics helping to suck the life out of the batteries compared to normal bulbs just dimming out.

As for the Tires, that's a whole different story. For several reasons I prefer to follow the Rules of Geometry and the route I take is riddled with Glass, either from traffic collisions, or people throwing their glass bottles on the side of the road. I've replaced the tires on my bike, and the tubes several times. I've purchased the self sealing tubes, and they don't seem to work either. So I opted to go with the Airless Tires. The roadway I travel on is relatively smooth (no major bumps or potholes) with the exception of two sets of railroad tracks. My rims are quite small so the shock won't be as harsh as on taller rims (16" front, 20" rear). I'll give them a try and see how they work. If I don't like them, or they tear up these Rims, I'll get another set and search for the Kevlar Tires?!

Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it! I was unaware there were Kevlar Tires out there.

- D. Ethan B. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
DEthanB, the MR-X flashlight created by Hotbeam and Burnt_Retinas, two Australian modders, is IMHO the brightest and longest throwing LED flashlight available at this moment. It's built in a Mag 2D body, and with the proper adapters can take many types of batteries, both standard and rechargeable. You can also adjust the output level to get the combination of brightness and runtime that works for you, though it's inside the tube, so you pretty much decide what you like and leave it that way. I'd imagine it could be mounted on your bike with the proper bracket, and ought to make a terrific headlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is, however, pretty expensive (around $200), and quantities are limited due to the scarcity of the X3T LED it uses. You could always get on the waiting list now without commitment, and decide for sure about buying one whenever more become available.

I've got one, and it really is a great light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DEthanB

Newly Enlightened
On another note. I've seen a lot of "Packages" on eBay that people are selling. They are quoting the "20 White LED 12,000 mcd" for $30.00. That's $1.50 per LED. Does anyone know where to get these LED's cheaper?

- D. Ethan B.

onelight

Enlightened
If you can stand the length of a 3-AA light the streamlight led tasklight the 3AA luxeon, might be about perfect long throw reasonable side spill and aa batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif