Ultra Stinger vs Tigerlight!

SuRgE

Enlightened
Ultra Stinger vs Tigerlight!

Well my Tigerlight came in the mail yesterday and the first thing I had to do was break out my Ultra Stinger and compare brightness and throw.

Now this is a very informal test. I charged both lights for the required time plus an additional 4 hours. I won't bore you with the little details so here are my impressions of The Ultra Stinger vs the 8" Tigerlight!
icon3.gif

Throw: Its close but the US is the winner by a small margin. (tested at around 40-50 yards)

Brightness: I don't have light measuring equipment but I trust my eyes. They appear to be very close, I can't tell and will have to give it a tie.

Hotspot: Definately the Tigerlight. It has a larger hotspot.

Beam quality: Definately the US. On its tightest focus it looks much better than the Tiger.

Overall light: Tigerlight easily.

Durability: The Tigerlight feels more robust and better made to me. Now the US isn't flimsy just not as solid as the Tigerlight in my opinion.

Charge cradle: The US's is easier to use and seems better built to me.

Switch: Well they both operate in a similar fashion, its all about location preference. The US is in a better position for self defense cause your always ready to use it as a baton. The Tigerlight is alittle ackward but can be positioned similar to using a Surefire rear activated switch. Now the pepper spray version's switch location seems to be ideal, but I don't have that light yet.

Size: US better for "percussive persuasion", Tigerlight easier to stow away.

Conclusion:

Well, I was very optomistic that the Tigerlight would take a huge bite out of the Stinger but it appears to me to be just a nibble! They both are very good lights and have their own pros and cons.

I don't feel the Tigerlight will replace my Ultra. I didn't obtain the same results as others have when comparing the two. Keep in mind that this is only one sample of each light and no scientific analysis was done. Just my trusty vision and a dark street as a laboratory.

SO

US has better beam quality, further throw, adjustable focus, and baton use.

Tigerlight has a larger hotspot, overall light output, better built, and more compact.

I like them both and will probally order the 11" version of the Tigerlight to get the pepper spray ability and the longer housing to use as a baton.

If you can't make up your mind; GET BOTH, I DID!
grin.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ultra Stinger vs Tigerlight!

Surge:

Great info. I'm chomping at the bit until my T-light arrives so I can also do a comparison with my Ultrastinger. My acid test is just pointing two lights side-by-side up into our somewhat ocean-foggy night air and looking down the very clear beams a la Jedi knight. Someday I'll shoot some photos.

Thanks.

SuRgE

Enlightened

sotto,

I am interested in your opinion on the two. I love both lights and try to be as honest as possible in my comparison. I have read that the Tigerlight is way brighter than the US but I don't see "way brighter". But, I like the Tiger and am now lookin for the best price on the 11" version.
cool.gif

budlight

Newly Enlightened

SuRgE

Good, un-biased review of the TL verses the US. We use the US every nite for our walk and love it. I've read a lot of hype about the TL but hadn't seen any realistic comparisons until now. I wasn't really in the market for another rechargable but your information is valuable non the less. Thanks for the objective review.

Mike-

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened

SuRge -

I think the best deal for the 11" TL will be at Tactical Warehouse. Dan is the best on pricing, and customer service. I believe he is still running some type of promotion on this light. I purchased mine their and am quite happy with it. I bought the short one also. These units will definatly save you some battery money!

Aluminum Junkie

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 11" $85 Tigerlight just arrived from GTDistributors. There was enough charge on the battery to make my palm almost immediately warm when shining the beam on it. It didn't come with any pepper spray. The light is charging in my pickup now, and later tonight I'll be comparing beams with my Ultrastinger in the Santa Monica sky.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's weird. My TL is abviously brighter than my US. They throw about the same distance. To get the US to throw that far requires you to set it at tight focus. The problem is, at tight focus there is very little side spill light were the TL has tons of side spill light. If you widen the US's focus, the beam doesn't throw nearly as far and still doesn't put out much side spill light as the TL.

I really like my US but if you want or need a light with the throw of the US and the flood type beam of say an M6 HOLA at the same time then the TL does the job well. If you don't want or need any flood lighting, just a long throwing main beam then the US is the light for you.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was hoping the TL would be definitely obviously brighter than a US. Given the TL's odd switch (don't tell me I'll get used it -- with the US, I don't have to get used to it!) and the fact that the US is ubiquitous and it's easy to find parts, the TL only becomes really compelling if it solidly outperforms the US, in my opinion. I'll be very interested in other tests in this string, since my TL will arrive any day now!

Joe

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I opted to keep the US over the TL for a couple of reasons.

1. Size.
2. Shape.
3. Weight.
4. Manuverability.
5. Comfort in hand.

If all you're interested in is light output, get the TL. If these other things are more important to you, get the US.

Otokoyama

Enlightened

I received an 8" TigerLight today. I was disappointed in the beam, but some WriteRIGHT nicely cured this issue. It's definitely whiter, brighter, and throws farther than a 9N without turbo head.

Catdaddy

Enlightened

In comparing them, one things seems to tip the scale toward the Tiger. That is the optional pepper spray. What a great self defense tool right there when you need it!

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 11" TL has been on the charger now for about 5 hours, and it beats my fully-charged US for throw and width of hotspot. My US has a tighter beam at it's tightest focus, but what my US does in 3 feet diameter at about 30 yards, the TL does in a 5-6 foot diameter. The US is more of a "wand", the TL is more of a "bat". The US is a James Bond, and the TL's more of a Dirty Harry. In LA at night, I'll take Dirty Harry, thanks.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

great analogy!

i am quite fond of both bond and harry...i think bond reminds me a little more of myself though
grin.gif

moraino

Enlightened

I tried to resist the temptation not to buy one because I don't want my wife to see the Credit card statement. But I am losing that control now after reading all these review. Sigh!

Before I order the TL before the sale ends, can someone answer some questions here?

-the bulb life (anywhere states it?)
-is the reflector aluminum?
-will the reflector fits the D size Mag?

Thanks
Henry

SuRgE

Enlightened

Well I am here at work at its quite dark outside. I decided to do another throw test with the US and the Tigerlight. I had a friend also judge the comparison.

I shined the lights across a parking lot onto a warehouse wall. Now this distance is alot longer than what I tested on my street in front of my house. I would say its about 70-80 yards. The US won easily with a brighter and larger hotspot. I couldn't believe it so I ask my friend to evaluate and he came to the same conclusion.

Now I just took both lights off the chargers about an hour ago. I am wondering if I got a lemon Tigerlight cause it seems others have no problem claiming the Tigerlight has longer and brighter throw.

It now appears to me that the Tigerlight has a larger hotspot at closer distances but the US has a brighter and larger spot at longer distances.

What do any of you think who own both lights?
Should I return it for an exchange?
icon3.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got my 8" Tigerlight today, it's on the charger. No problems with the charger, though I agree that the charger design is not exactly admirable.

I'll compare the Tigerlight FBOP with my Surefire M4 tomorrow. That's a comparison I haven't seen anyone do yet.

Joe

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by SuRgE:
What do any of you think who own both lights?
Should I return it for an exchange?
icon3.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
tluscomp.jpg

The top 2 pics are at 50 feet. You can clearly see the Tigerlight has a bigger hotspot and it produces more side light than even the picture shows.

SuRgE

Enlightened

Sean,

I was impressed by these picks when you first posted them in another thread, but, I am not getting the same results. You state that the distance is 50 feet. Could you try and compare at a longer distance, lets say 100+ feet?

I'm trying to determine if I got a 1st generation lamp even know I just had it delivered directly from Tigerlight!

Can you guys who own them check the battery wrap's color? Mine is blue. I saw a pic by Mr Ted Bear and his was white. Also, the beam on mine is not so great. Thats why I believe I might have a 1st gen lamp. Its a bit ringy in my opinion. Plus on my box no where does it say "more powerful than a Mag charger or Ultra Stinger like in Ted Bears's pics.

Any info would help.

SuRgE

Enlightened

Originally posted by Joe Talmadge:
SuRgE: which light is heavier?[/QUOTE

According to the specs, the Tigerlight is heavier by about 3 ozs. I would say thats probally accurate. The Tiger feels heavier to me.

I think the US is easier to put in your front pocket cause of its small girth. Yeah its long but it doesn't stretch out your jean pocket like the Tiger does. I bought a holster for the US and now I need one for the Tiger. All I have heard for the Tiger is the Blackhawk. The D cell Maglite belt ring works pretty good for both lights.

Anyone know of other holsters for the Tigerlight?