modding a SUREFIRE E1L/ E1B with a XP-G R5 or XM-L T6 ??

radu1976

Enlightened
I am loving a lot my SUREFIREs E1L and E1B .
I am happy enough with them , though I was wondering if they can be modded with one of those 2 emitters ... not only technically speaking but I am wondering if the beam patern generated by TIR optical system would be the same .

I am assuming that 2-modes E1L and the E1B are using CREE emitters - Q2 , Q5 or something like that -
Modding them with an R2 wouldn't bring a too much increase in efficiency , maybe 10-15% at the best .
The situation would be different if taken into consideration an XP-G R5 or XM-L T6 , I think ... but the question is if the beam would be like the original one or you could get even less throw but more sidespill !
Any inputs ?

Couple of years ago I have had an INOVA T3 TIROS - first gen. with optics - modded with a SEOUL SSC P4 . It was MUCH brighter than the stock light with LUXEON III - true , it was also driven harder - . But I understand that , equipped with a Q5 , it wouldn't have had the same throw as SSC P4 was the closest - as beam pattern - to the LUXEON III emitter at that time .

Here's why I am asking myself how an E1L would throw with an R5 or T6 inside .
I would preffer to have kept the original circuit which assures a 3-4 hrs runtime , respectively 1:40 hr for an E1B .

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The XM-L will work with the TiR but it's not quite perfect. You do get moe spill and less throw.
The XP-G I'm honestly not sure of. Member Defabricata has done it before I believe.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The XM-L will work with the TiR but it's not quite perfect. You do get more spill and less throw.
The XP-G I'm honestly not sure of. Member Defabricata has done it before I believe.
E1L with warm high CRI XM-L, mmmm....
popcorn.gif

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done about 6 or more Surefire L1 with XM-L 6T's.

The TiR will focus the XM-L very well, but it will be floody. I do not think the E1b is as great of a host as the L1 is for these builds. The L1 is all heatsink and can handle and deliver incredible OTF numbers when direct driven. The Stock L1 Driver (in the body) will regulate the XM-L nicely.

Latest posts