Update on my PD31 beam with photos

mrlysle

Enlightened
Just a little update and another plug for DC-Fix diffusion film I got from phaserburn over on the Marketplace. Here's a couple before and after beam shots from my PD31 using the diffusion film. I really didn't like the beam from my PD31, but I loved everything else about it. Great size, very bright, super nice low mode, and fantastic runtimes with an AW 2900mah 18650. I even thought about sending it back, and getting something else instead. I can't begin to remember how I stumbled across, or what the post was even about, when I saw the reference to this film, but needless to say, I checked it out immediately! After reading the whole post, I ordered two sheets of this film from phaserburn. (his user name here on CPF). It actually took me two tries to get it to fit the inside of the bezel perfectly. But once I did, WOW! That's when I knew this little PD31 was a keeper for me! Does it throw like it did without the film? No. But I knew what to expect, and it lived up to those expectations splendidly! From the nice 2 lumen low, to the 304 lumen high, this thing puts out a nice wall of light. So, see for yourselves. Maybe you'll think of a light you could use some on.
PD31%20before%20DC-fix.jpg
PD31%20after%20DC-fix.jpg
Diffusion-film.jpg
Diffusion-film-2.jpg

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's quite an impressive change to the beam, thanks for sharing. Hopefully it'll stand up well with being applied to the outside of the lens as I believe the manufacturer recommends applying to the inside of the lens to protect the film(not applicable her since the head is sealed)

mrlysle

Enlightened
Thanks! Yea, I really wanted to put it behind the lens like phaserburn suggested, but like you said, the PD31 must be glued and I didn't want to mess up my chance for any warranty issue should I have one. But, like I said in my first post, it took me two tries to get it like I wanted it. And when I tried to get the first attempt back off the lens, it was stuck really well. Had to work and work with my fingernail to get it started and then it peeled off hard. What's great though, is it didn't leave ANY residue behind. Then I turned it on high, and let 'er get warm for a while to see if it was affected at all, and it wasn't! So I'm very pleased with this stuff. Have enough to do a bunch more lights if I would ever need to, but I doubt that I will. I guess someone (selfbuilt maybe) tested this film for loss of light transmission and reported a very minimal loss. Maybe 2 or 3%? My PD31 still seems very bright and believe it or not, still has some decent "reach" to it. I'm happy anyway and thought this might help others with a problem beam. Thanks for responding!

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
How it cut it and get the circumference bang on? If you free handed then kudos it looks really clean

mrlysle

Enlightened
I found a flat washer that fit perfectly inside the rim of the bezel and traced around it with an Exacto knife.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I definitely found out out how ringy those small emmiters/smooth reflector combinations can be with the PD31. I had heard they could be, but just really didn't like the beam on mine. Bottom line is, now I do!

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
I found a flat washer that fit perfectly inside the rim of the bezel and traced around it with an Exacto knife.

Aha, very clever :) congrats on a cool little mod (which is always reversible too)

rayster357

Newly Enlightened
That's COOL! Might have to give it a try on my PD31. Thanks for sharing!!!:)

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aha, very clever :) congrats on a cool little mod (which is always reversible too)

Alternatively, if you have a caliper, you can just use it to measure the ID of the lens and then use a bow-compass to draw a circle on the film to cut out the right size for the lens.

Latest posts