What can I do to improve Maglite 2D & 3D lights?

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully this is the right forum. I couldn't see an obvious better one to place my question.

I've got a couple 2D and 3D incandescent maglites lying around. Now that I know what flashlights can do (Fenix PD31 on the way), the maglites seem like toys.

What are the possibilities for greater output from these lights? Are there higher voltage battery options, quality high output LED conversions, etc?

I have a maglite LED 2D and it's got a terrible beam pattern. Perfect donut. Exactly what I don't want.

Thanks!

belomeclone

Enlightened
Step 1: Grab 3AA-D shells. They can be as cheap as a dollar or as much as 20 dollars for a custom-made, 2D shell.

Step 2: Go straight for a Terralux. I believe there is one brighter option, maybe, but I think the Terralux is your safest bet.

Step 3: Install and enjoy. It's got a solid beam, and 700 Lumens, please a simple UI. (med, high, low) you cycle through with a half-depress.

It's your best bet. It is pricey at 70 dollars, but it's going to be great.

For the 3D One, I am unsure what to do, perhaps a 2AA-D? Or a weaker drop-in. I do know there is a custom-built Flood Maglite in a 3D Maglite that's like 2000 lumens, but don't ask me about it!! :p

belomeclone

Enlightened

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search on heebay for a Fusion 36 LED showerhead ... It fits straight into a Maglite ... Get some 3AA to D convertors ... The Maglite 2D will take two of these , so the torch will be powered by six AA Eneloops ... The torch can also be powered by two 18650 Li-Ions or even by two D cells ... It is a good floody beam.

The Fusion 36 can be powered by up to six cells , so 9 Volts is the maximum recommended voltage ... The 3D would be OK when powered by three D cells.

I have the 2D powered by six AA Eneloops and my Wife has a 2C powered by two 18500 Li-Ions though it still works OK on two C cells.

The showerhead is a bit brighter when using nine volts than with three volts ... This dropin is cheap and a great addition to the Maglite.

Somewhere on candlepowerforums there is a thread on this dropin ... Worth a look.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great information!

Thanks for getting me started. Exactly what I need.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i run fusion 36 in chopped C mag off 1 18650, min voltage for F36 is 3v, perfect cut off point for 18650, i use unprotected cells,

KC_451

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully this is the right forum. I couldn't see an obvious better one to place my question.

I've got a couple 2D and 3D incandescent maglites lying around. Now that I know what flashlights can do (Fenix PD31 on the way), the maglites seem like toys.

What are the possibilities for greater output from these lights? Are there higher voltage battery options, quality high output LED conversions, etc?

I have a maglite LED 2D and it's got a terrible beam pattern. Perfect donut. Exactly what I don't want.

Thanks!

Step 1: Grab 3AA-D shells. They can be as cheap as a dollar or as much as 20 dollars for a custom-made, 2D shell.

Step 2: Go straight for a Terralux. I believe there is one brighter option, maybe, but I think the Terralux is your safest bet.

Step 3: Install and enjoy. It's got a solid beam, and 700 Lumens, please a simple UI. (med, high, low) you cycle through with a half-depress.

It's your best bet. It is pricey at 70 dollars, but it's going to be great.

For the 3D One, I am unsure what to do, perhaps a 2AA-D? Or a weaker drop-in. I do know there is a custom-built Flood Maglite in a 3D Maglite that's like 2000 lumens, but don't ask me about it!! :p

I have been using two different 3D Maglites, each equipped with a FM 9AA to 3D cell holder. One is fitted with the - TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX EXTREME 700 lumens /3 OUTPUT LEVEL MiniStar30M TLE-300 - that you mention belomeclone, and the other with the - TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX-S EXTREME 700 lumens / SINGLE OUTPUT LEVEL MiniStar30M TLE-300M. Both were purchased at Battery Junction or ZBattery, I don't recall. Both are extremely satisfactory performers with the above mentioned AA cell holders.

KC

Last edited:

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Disasemble light. Toss the lens, reflector, switch assembly and bulb.

Get a nice UCL lens, aluminium reflector from KD, copper base, XM-L, an 8*AMC7135 driver board, 2 component metal glue, some thermal epoxy and/or paste, clicky button, a nice 32600 cell and a nice box o tools. Cut down the tube, drill a hole in the tail for the new clicky, attach the xml to the base and driver and epoxy it on your reflector and you'll end up with this:

img7225custom.jpg

Lots o light, great runtime, small formfactor and you can still use all your Mag gadgets (filters/traffic cones and such)

Mojito150

Newly Enlightened
The Fusion 36 can be powered by up to six cells , so 9 Volts is the maximum recommended voltage ... The 3D would be OK when powered by three D cells.

I have the 2D powered by six AA Eneloops and my Wife has a 2C powered by two 18500 Li-Ions though it still works OK on two C cells.

The showerhead is a bit brighter when using nine volts than with three volts ... This dropin is cheap and a great addition to the Maglite.

Somewhere on candlepowerforums there is a thread on this dropin ... Worth a look.

Has anyone run the Fusion 36 at higher than 9V? I am considering 3 x 18650, (11.1V).

Brian10962001

Newly Enlightened

Get a nice UCL lens, aluminium reflector from KD, copper base, XM-L, an 8*AMC7135 driver board, 2 component metal glue, some thermal epoxy and/or paste, clicky button, a nice 32600 cell and a nice box o tools. Cut down the tube, drill a hole in the tail for the new clicky, attach the xml to the base and driver and epoxy it on your reflector and you'll end up with this:

img7225custom.jpg

Lots o light, great runtime, small formfactor and you can still use all your Mag gadgets (filters/traffic cones and such)

Could we possibly get some part numbers and such for all this, maybe a look inside? I've been looking at budget mag mods and yours is the first one that sounds about right!

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like an amazing amount of output. I like it. What would a guess be on the output so I have a general idea?

http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php/topic,4050.0.html

What does it take to make something like this from a maglite? I've got enough 3 & 4D's lying around. What's the cost?

I would love to do something with my mags using AA Eneloops rather than the D cells. I have a lot of Eneloops right now.

I see Fivemega referenced quite a bit as I look but all of the posts are quite old. Is the person or company still around?

KC_451

Newly Enlightened

img7225custom.jpg

Very very nice!

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_2429.jpg

Mac C with XML. Runs off 2 CR123 but can use 2-25500s as well. Sitting by a Streamlight Ultra Stinger.

DSC00843.jpg

Shorty D Camo with P7 LED and custom heatsinks.

DSC00905.jpg

3D shortened for 2 18650 LiIon. DX 1200 lumen module.

And so on and so forth!