Difference between Quark 2AA and mini 2AA

LEDrock

Enlightened
Is there a whole lot of difference between the Regular Quark 2AA and the Quark Mini 2AA? They seem like pretty much the same light, although the mini version seems to have just a couple fewer modes. The price break from $59 to $43 seems like quite a bit compared to the feature differences.

When I think of "mini", I would first assume that it simply means a 1AA version vs. 2AA, but that's not the case.

Here's links to both of them: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_305&products_id=2499

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_355&products_id=2570

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
They're very different if you have them in front of you.

Mini is twisty, regular is clicky.
Mini seems very small for a 2xAA, like a thick penlight, straight sides. Regular is larger, both length and diameter, and head/tail are thicker than the barrell.
You already mentioned the modes -- regular has moonlight and blinky modes that mini does not.
Regular has more accessories - can lego different heads, tailcaps, etc. Mini has no options, it is available in one form only.

I don't have both to compare any more, but I think the beam profile is quite different also, where the Mini has a large but defined hotspot with a fairly sharp transition to spill, and Regular has hotspot with smoother fade to spill.

I don't know if there are tint differences. 4sevens has had a lot of different emitters available over the past year -- it's hard to keep track. :)

I personally prefer the mini, but I do wish it had a clicky tail.

Jackasper

Enlightened
I have both right in front of me and to tell you the truth they are nearly identical physically. Just scale down about 1/3rd and you've got the mini less the tailcap clicky. They both twist through hi-low, the main difference is the AA2 powers on and off through the tailcap and has numerous modes available by programming the UI. As for output, same thing. Scale down about 1/3rd for the mini. I bought the S2 version of the AA2 and the tint is quite greener than the R5, but not being that anal, am not bothered by it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MiNi AA² is the size of a penlight. That is a 2AAA Minimag.
Quark-MiNi-AA2-size.jpg

PMpepekraft, the MiNi has blinky modes too. You just have to go through lo med hi lo med hi strobe SOS beacon1 beacon2. Not easy to get to but they are there.

PMLEDrock, you have missed the 3rd version of the 2AA Quark - Quark AA² Tactical/Turbo. The UI is quite different than the AA² Regular.
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=2504
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_330&products_id=2506
For most people the most used mode is medium. The MiNi AA² starts on low and the AA² Regular starts on moonlight. The Quark AA² Tactical/Turbo are programmable for head loose/head tight positions so for those folks they can program in medium as one of the startup modes. (Some Fenix lights go med lo high to cater for this.)

LEDrock

Enlightened
Wow! Thanks alot everyone! Now I can see the differences easily! I wasn't aware that the mini was a twisty. I think--in fact, I KNOW I'd rather have a clicky tailcap. $20 more might just be worth it, along with all the other advantages.

LEDrock

Enlightened
Sorry to sound redundant, but now I'm deciding between the regular version of the Quark 2AA and the tactical version. The only thing between them that's different seems to be that the tactical has a programmable feature. This sounds like a big thing, but the price is exactly the same. I'd be tempted to get it, but is there any drawbacks to it that would make you want the original version instead?

jupello

Enlightened
When comparing the tactical vs regular quark, there are few more differences: Regular quark can tailstand, tactical cant(unless you buy the flat turbo tailcap for it). Tactical has forward clicky, regular one has reverse one.

Also the regular/tactical Quarks are current regulated, and the mini quarks use PWM instead (little less efficient).