Looking for a brighter EDC (current: Quark 123^2 R5)

Warp

Enlightened
My main EDC/pocket light has been pretty much the same for 3 years or so. Current is a Quark 123^2 Tactical R5. Before that it was an extremely similar Fenix. I really like that size/style. However, I want more balls out of it both in terms of raw lumens and throw.

These lights have been carried in my offside (left) front pants pocket oriented vertically next to a 2oz can of Fox Labs OC. However, I may change that can of OC to a much thinner can of Sabre Red, for various reasons, which potentially opens the door for a wider light (head) in that location.

What are my best options? I have not been following much of anything, at all, for awhile and am very out of the loop. I like Fenix and 4Sevens. I have had poor experiences with Surefire (plus they are so big they don't get the new tech as quickly). I am thinking $85 or so max. Anything 100+ won't even get serious consideration at this point in time.

I would prefer 2x123 with the option of a single 17670 because those are what I already have. I like the clickies, and I like the tactical UI that my Quark currently runs. I cannot stand twisties unless the light is a backup/keychain light. IMO twisties only really go on keychains.

The new Quark 123^2 Turbo "X" caught my eye when I saw the email about it from 4Sevens. That is one fat head for front pocket carry, though...almost 1/4" wider than that 2oz can of OC was...So perhaps the ballpark of 450 lumens is as good as anything if I am to throw a number out there. Or brighter, of course. Runtime is not a huge concern as long as it is usable and doesn't fade quickly. I carry more than one light, even if the second is just a keychain deal.

So...whatcha got?

flashflood

Enlightened
My main EDC/pocket light has been pretty much the same for 3 years or so. Current is a Quark 123^2 Tactical R5. Before that it was an extremely similar Fenix. I really like that size/style. However, I want more balls out of it both in terms of raw lumens and throw.

These lights have been carried in my offside (left) front pants pocket oriented vertically next to a 2oz can of Fox Labs OC. However, I may change that can of OC to a much thinner can of Sabre Red, for various reasons, which potentially opens the door for a wider light (head) in that location.

What are my best options? I have not been following much of anything, at all, for awhile and am very out of the loop. I like Fenix and 4Sevens. I have had poor experiences with Surefire (plus they are so big they don't get the new tech as quickly). I am thinking $85 or so max. Anything 100+ won't even get serious consideration at this point in time.

I would prefer 2x123 with the option of a single 17670 because those are what I already have. I like the clickies, and I like the tactical UI that my Quark currently runs. I cannot stand twisties unless the light is a backup/keychain light. IMO twisties only really go on keychains.

The new Quark 123^2 Turbo "X" caught my eye when I saw the email about it from 4Sevens. That is one fat head for front pocket carry, though...almost 1/4" wider than that 2oz can of OC was...So perhaps the ballpark of 450 lumens is as good as anything if I am to throw a number out there. Or brighter, of course. Runtime is not a huge concern as long as it is usable and doesn't fade quickly. I carry more than one light, even if the second is just a keychain deal.

So...whatcha got?

I just ordered the Turbo X 123^2 today. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

For something smaller, the Thrunite Neutron 1A (1xAA/14500) and 1C (1xCR123/16340) were both measured at 450 lumens (!) by selfbuilt. Review here. I believe it, too -- I have both, and they are incredibly bright. There are also 2-cell versions of the Neutrons, models 2A and 2C. These provide more runtime but, oddly, are not quite as bright -- 360 lumens. There's also visible PWM on the 2C (which has different electronics than the other three models), which rules it out for me. But the 1A and 1C, at about $60 each, are just superb.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?311559

Warp

Enlightened
I just ordered the Turbo X 123^2 today. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

For something smaller, the Thrunite Neutron 1A (1xAA/14500) and 1C (1xCR123/16340) were both measured at 450 lumens (!) by selfbuilt. Review here. I believe it, too -- I have both, and they are incredibly bright. There are also 2-cell versions of the Neutrons, models 2A and 2C. These provide more runtime but, oddly, are not quite as bright -- 360 lumens. There's also visible PWM on the 2C (which has different electronics than the other three models), which rules it out for me. But the 1A and 1C, at about $60 each, are just superb.

I'm looking through selfbuilt's Thrunight Neutron review. I see that the 450 lumens from the 1C is with an RCR. I don't have any of those but if I could get 450 lumens from that small of a light it might be worth consideration.

I must say, though, it irritates me quite a bit that they apparently advertise these lights as current regulated when they are in fact PWM. Big turnoff (their lying more than the actual PWM)

I'll have to search out some Eagletac reviews next.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
My main EDC/pocket light has been pretty much the same for 3 years or so. Current is a Quark 123^2 Tactical R5. Before that it was an extremely similar Fenix. I really like that size/style. However, I want more balls out of it both in terms of raw lumens and throw.....

Man, I am with you on this. I have same light, and same exact desires for "more balls"! :thumbsup:

........I would prefer 2x123 with the option of a single 17670 because those are what I already have. I like the clickies, and I like the tactical UI that my Quark currently runs. ...

Again, I have same exact preferences as you. I have been diligently looking for a suitable replacement for my Quark 123*2 R5, but honestly, I haven't seen anything yet.

I want something that is over-driven to the max, maybe ~1,000 lumens for short bursts. I also EDC a iTP EOS A3 R5 with a 10440 battery. Yeah, it might be a little dangerous if mis-used, but it's a tiny light and it will crank out over 300 lumens for short bursts. I'm hoping to find a similar setup in the Quark 123*2 size and UI that will deliver ~1,000 lumens.

I'll be watching this thread like a hawk. If there are any custom builders here that can mod my Quark 123*2 to flow more amps, but still retain the stock UI, I think myself and the OP might be interested!

- :)

KLowD9x

Banned
Take a look at the Yezl Z1X. Three or five mode controller available (low, medium, high + optional strobe and SOS) with memory (which I love). Driven at 2.5A on high, which puts out an absurd amount of light. Runs on one 18650.

My only complaints on this light are that it did not come with a pocket clip and the anodizing is not that great. I did make a pocket clip that works great, however YMMV.

It is my favorite light out of every light I have.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I've heard of a bunch of reports of having to resolder the driver, solder switches with no solder on them, etc. from another flashlight forum about the Z1X-not something I would trust. The Download Pocket Rocket, XML, might be a good choice if you're willing to go to 18650's, or the Thrunite 1C.

asot

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Yezl Z1X

Stick with 4Sevens - at least their flashlights are RELIABLE and with a 10 year warranty - my Z1 failed after one hour and I'm still waiting (2 months) for a spare...

KLowD9x

Banned
I've heard of a bunch of reports of having to resolder the driver, solder switches with no solder on them, etc. from another flashlight forum about the Z1X-not something I would trust. The Download Pocket Rocket, XML, might be a good choice if you're willing to go to 18650's, or the Thrunite 1C.

The brass ring on the bottom of the pill broke off when the light was dropped. Stuff happens. It wasn't major.

I have never heard of the switch thing.

Warp

Enlightened
Stick with 4Sevens - at least their flashlights are RELIABLE and with a 10 year warranty - my Z1 failed after one hour and I'm still waiting (2 months) for a spare...

That Quark Turbo X is appealing.

I do have an 18650 I bought for my Olight M20 R2 BUT that light is now mounted to my shotgun so the 2x123 carrier is probably a better pick for it anyway, which frees up an 18650.

Warp

Enlightened
Looking more at the size and output of these lights I think I am going to have to take my Olight M20 R2 off of the shotgun and stick it in my pocket for a day to see how it goes. That should put the numbers of these other lights into better perspective.

Warp

Enlightened
4 Sevens just released the Quark 123x2 Turbo X with a XM-L. Output is 450 lumens.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2621

But take a look at the EagleTAC T20C2 XM-L. Not sure if it's verified, but ET says it outputs 580 lumens.

Yes.

Warp

Enlightened
I am giving that Eagletac T20C2 with XM-L some serious consideration. Dimensions are almost identical to my Olight M20. I just stuck the Olight in my front pocket next to my Quark 123^2 (in place of pepper spray that usually goes there) and it fits much better than I expected. Definitely doable, although I did put the Quark in it's holster for possibly the first time to prevent the metal-on-metal grinding and clanging. I could probably switch the OC to a Sabre keychain unit.

580 ANSI lumens, they say. hmmmmm

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking through selfbuilt's Thrunight Neutron review. I see that the 450 lumens from the 1C is with an RCR. I don't have any of those but if I could get 450 lumens from that small of a light it might be worth consideration.

I must say, though, it irritates me quite a bit that they apparently advertise these lights as current regulated when they are in fact PWM. Big turnoff (their lying more than the actual PWM)

I'll have to search out some Eagletac reviews next.

The PWM issue is only on the 2C model (which i almost bought, good thing i checked the posts here in the forums first before making final purchase) THANK YOU CPF!!!! :)

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
I like "clean" and "functional" flashlight designs. I hate those lights with large blocky grip areas. My experience with Eagle-tac has been a very slippery grip surface. I like the normal serrations when it comes to the gripping surface.

Have you looked at this light?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwayman-t20c.html

Btw, I edc a 123*2 quark tactical too.