Would you be interested in a Stainless Steel Malkoff MD2?

Intersted in a Stainless Steel MD2?

• Yes, more than one.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Yes.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Nope, it's fine as is.

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me preface this by stating no, Malkoff has not stated they will make one, nor are they planning on it that I am aware of. Simply seeing if the interest is there to perhaps get them interested enough to make one.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see the options on the poll. But my answer would be no. I think the thick walls in the md-2 tube will make it too heavy. Build a Ti version and i might have voted diffenernt :)

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with Jorn, stainless will be far too heavy

A Ti MD2, I would be very interested in :devil:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think aluminum with HAIII is the best.
Lighter, better cooling, fairly scratch resistant.

Stainless is strong and durable, but not very good for cooling, and is heavy.
Titanium is terribly poor for cooling, scratches easily, threads gall, isn't as light as aluminum, and costs alot.

I think there are good reasons why aluminum is used in these applications.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, reckon I made the poll wrong if others cannot see the options. Crud. Really do not care for Ti anything. Weight simply is a non factor to me when talking about ounces. Not sure of the weight on the alum MD2, or the Fireworm F1 (a Ti P60 host), cant find either of their weight in a quick search. But, and my math is prob wrong, I think Ti is about half the weight of SS, and Aluminum is about a third. So roughly 4 OZ for a Ti version, and an Al one is a bit less than 3 OZ? So for a few extra ounces, Ill take the steel.

Spiderfire X-07- SS P60 capable of 18650's 8.64 OZ
Aurora SH290- SS P60 using a single CR123 8.08 OZ

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have an actual weight on the Solarforce L2M SS SE, Fireworm F1 and a current MD2?

Yes I am looking, but currently no luck.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I had a Solarforce stainless L2M it's extreemly heavy, so heavy I never carried it.
Norm

Last edited:

brandocommando

Enlightened
My SF L2m SS weighs 245.5gr (8.7oz) without the batteries or a dropin. Feels nice and hefty in your hand, but not very practical IMHO.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry.

Accidentally clicked on the wrong option. My apologies. Make that one more "nope." Instead of "yes."

tolkaze

Enlightened
SS would be interesting, and I would like to see one produced, but having said that, I wouldn't buy one... I see my MD2 as a work horse, and my favorite so far is my Type II in Black... wearing it down to nothing, but still built like a tank.

As for SS or Ti, I don't think the MD2 is a very pretty light, and wouldn't benefit from a fancy metal conversion, but it is by far my favourite to hold and use, and is simple and practical..

dwminer

Enlightened
I think aluminum with HAIII is the best.
Lighter, better cooling, fairly scratch resistant.

Stainless is strong and durable, but not very good for cooling, and is heavy.
Titanium is terribly poor for cooling, scratches easily, threads gall, isn't as light as aluminum, and costs alot.

I think there are good reasons why aluminum is used in these applications.

+1

DimmerD

Enlightened
This poll will close on 05-09-2011 at 10:37 AM

• Yes, more than one.
  • Yes.
  • Nope, its fine as is.
Here's the poll options via copy paste.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
SS would be too heavy, the MD2 is already a hefty piece. I'd be the first one in line for a copper one though!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted nope mainly for the reason of weight. But I would be in for a titanium version though, it'll be lighter than SS and I can use it for sea activities.

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
There is another factor that will be significant to those that want to use the existing Hi/Lo ring... Consider the electrical paths for the two modes, and the impact of using stainless steel. If you're thinking of exactly the same body and head, but executed in stainless steel, you won't have the low mode any more.

The ring could be redesigned to allow high and low modes, but at the cost of greater complexity, possibly reduced durability and compromised heat transfer to the head and body.

- Syncytial.

Last edited: