Arc AAA led centered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unnerv

Enlightened
I just bought an Arc AAA, and found that the LED is not centered. While I doubt it makes too much difference in light output, it is clear that the hotspot is off center. Is this common or do I have a defect?

Thanks

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just move the light to where I need it without regard to if it's centered. Don't know how common it is, but it's nothing that will effect the overall perfromance of the light. However, Arc would probably exchange it for another one if you wanted..

Mike

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The centering of an Arc-AAA test.
Place the light 6" from a vertical anything. Roll the light. If the center of the beam stays within a 1/2" circle, it's a pass. If it's larger, it's a fail.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
It is very common. Probably on the order of 99%. There are a few posts floating around as to why it is virtually impossible to truly center the led in the AAA, but I forgot why. I have a half-dozen and they are all off-center... some a little, some a lot. You get used to it.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
From a longer post by Peter Gransee on 6/13/03 10:30 P.M. (Re:Received my CPF edition Arc-AAA today...)

"Centering is another common issue we hear about. The nature of this design dictates that the LED will always be off center. Yup, off center is normal. eek! (I know- shocking isn't it). What isn't normal is for the off centeredness to affect the normal operation of this EDC flashlight. We test each and every unit for this by hand. If you have to roll the light or peer at it with a inspection eye in order to see the off centeredness, then that doesn't qualify as "normal use"."

unnerv

Enlightened
thanks, mine seems to be off by a bit, but I'll try sunspot's test. At least it is not as bad as my CMG ultra.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have seen leds with the leadframe and die tilted in the package.so no matter how good you center it in the head it will still be off.

unnerv

Enlightened
Well I tried sunspots method and at 6 inches the center of the hotspot seems to roll about 3/4 of an inch. If you look at the hotspot on a ceiling the outside edge of the hotspot is where the center should be. I guess, I'll try to get a replacement.

Thanks for the help

Patrick

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about that. I feel sure PG will replace it.
BTW, the test is not my idea. PG had posted about it as one of the standards used at Arc.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the led itself should be physically centred in the head, and the off-centre beam is usually caused by the led die itself being off-centre in the led package.

unnerv

Enlightened
I sent an email to PG and I am sending it in to have him look at it for replacement.

Thanks sunspot for bringing up the Arc test method. I have no doubts about Arc's customer service, it is just too bad that this was my 1st Arc. I must say that although the hotspot was off center, the rest of the light was flawless. As I had mentioned to Peter in my email, my father has been a machinist for over 30 years. I grew up with a lathe in my garage and while I am not very good using one, I know what good machine work looks like, and the AAA is a work of art! I always look for items that you can tell are machined, because they have that special quality of being created instead of just molded. Each one is a little different even when done on CNC. I dunno maybe I am a little crazy, but I have always loved when the machining leaves a pattern in the metal instead of a perfectly mirror finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.