Using Surefire M2 bezel as a host for improved superthrower dropin...

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was thinkig lately of how to use M2 capacity to the fullest by trying to find best suited dropin that would make a great throw...

M2 bezel has a spring inside that allows different type dropins to fit... I was comparing Malkoff M61 and Nailbender XML 2.8A beams and throws and was really impressed that Nailbender had lot longer throw, thanks to raw power but also longer reflector installed... So I'm wondering how interesting would be if someone with right tools try to make slightly longer heatsink (like Malkoff or Moddoo) that will fit M2 but also allow longer reflector to be installed making a superthrower with best possible heatsinking and bombproof design...

I remember seing M2-50 from OR and am so impressed how the light looked like but also by potential SST-50 installed inside has... As I can remember, there was a picture of a dropin, kinda looked like Triple XPG heatsink... Wonder if this dropin was made strictly to fit M2 (not C2 or 6P) using maximum available space to make better throw ???

How many people would like to see that type of XML dropin that will only allow you to use it with M2 bezel (who knows, it might fit Z44 with a huge gap) ??? Installed in custom HA black C2 with M2 bezel and triad tailcap should be both impressive looker and performer.

purelite

Enlightened
I thought the M2 bezel has shock isolation at the top ? Its a foam ring with a plastic ring ontop . There is a spring that is used on alot of aftermarket dropns that allows for the correct electrical connection at the base of the dropin. I think what you want is basically a longer reflector that would utilize the space where the foam ring is . I dont think it would ever happen since not enough people have the M2 bezel to warrant the monetary investment in designing and producing a custome reflector that would have to be produced in large quantities so as to make some sort of profit. Or it would be so expensive because os its limited appeal it would be as much as the bezel itself.

It would be cool though dont get me wrong I love the M2 bezels

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm about a half-step ahead of you on this one. I have a gutted M2 bezel at home and a reflector in the mail. I just need the time to make something with it. The plan was to use an XP-G or XM-L and an appropriate driver along with this deep reflector. This reflector is a bit larger in diameter than would fit into a Z44 bezel, so, it won't be compatible with that one.

An alternative would be to use something like a D36 drop-in from Nailbender or LF and cut the reflector down to fit the M2 bezel. Anyone with a lathe who knows how to use it should be able to do this fairly quickly and inexpensively.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't Oveready do this already with the M2-50 here?

This proves it CAN be done, just a matter of finding the right parts. I bet this would be awesome with an XM-L and a driver instead of DD.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does seems like a weird project but the again, history showed that some crazy projects show admiration for long time later on... and out of economical point of view, it doesn't seems like the one anyone would try... except for hobbyst with passion (how many you see in CPF)... well, like PCC...

As for OR project, I'm unable to see posted pictures (nor check personal mail, when we're at that) from where I'm accessing internet and CPF, but I can read... I do remember M2-50 but was not certain whether that SST-50 dropin actually was longer than Triple XPG for example... never asked Tom or Dan directly but I'm sure I would get straight answer... but so far I'm embarrest how many things I asked Tom and got reply on every single one... to think that he has nothing better to do but to answer my questions... how many of you would like if noone didn't ask him anything, so he has more time for more Triple XPGs or development of new projects ???

I agree with PCC that whoever has experience with DIY would be fairly sucessfull in getting fair results with little effort... what do you need ??? One heatsink machined out of aluminum or brass to fit M2 and use that extra room... then find a driver with XML that can fit as deep as it can inside... then it's just a matter of finding a perfect reflector... Let's just say that someone got to this part and the only thing missing is reflector... we only care about the shape for beginning so OP or smooth will do for testing phase... that person makes a similar thread like this one and announces his/her project and that he needs a projector for testing... I'm sure at least 20 people will try to offer some kind of reflector for testing... That's what CPF is all about... amount of nice gestures I've seen around this forum is amazing and makes me proud to be a member...

Why I don't try it ??? I'm deployed and on 12+ hrs working schedule... If I was home, I would try this for sure... machining is fairly cheap where I come from so making that heatsink would cost less than $6... so at that point it's all about driver and XML and reflector... Well, trial and error... that's what makes any hobby passionate... It's easy to just buy something that's awesome, the more money you have, the more cool stuff you can buy... but with just a little effort, with the enough money resources and little creativity you can make something unique... and maybe share with people who share the same passion like you... I'm kind of talking out of my @ss here since I would really like to DO this instead of just exchange opinions... but my flashlight addiction is only 12-13 months old so if it stays in me in the future, weird project like this just might happen... :)

So, purelite... it's only an idea... but... Wouldn't you like one good quality dropin like that in your M2 ???