2-stage switch experiments

jellydonut

Enlightened
jellydonut Laboratories® - experimenting so you don't have to.™

Just tried the Lumensfactory EO-9 high-output incandescent lamp assembly in a Malkoff VME head and the Surefire LX2, with two IMR 16340 batteries.

The high output is excellent, and the low mode is a nasty orange moonlight-level shine, which might actually be useful.

However, after mere seconds of operation, the tailcap got extremely hot, and disassembling it revealed a very nasty smell of burned electronics. :eek:oo:

I suspect the current was too high for the circuit board and maybe the resistor. It still works, as I stopped using it as soon as I felt the abnormal heat.

Just a heads-up. Don't try this. It's not necessary. :shakehead

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
Re: 2-stage switch and high-output incandescent - bad idea

Jelly,

The LF site mentions only using a high current rated twisty tail w/ their high output incan lamps.
Yep, but manufacturer cautions are made to be ignored. ^^

I just figured others around here are prone to experimenting outside of the fences set up by consumer cautions.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just tried the Lumensfactory EO-9 high-output incandescent lamp assembly in a Malkoff VME head and the Surefire LX2, with two IMR 16340 batteries.

The high output is excellent, and the low mode is a nasty orange moonlight-level shine, which might actually be useful.

However, after mere seconds of operation, the tailcap got extremely hot, and disassembling it revealed a very nasty smell of burned electronics. :eek:oo:

I suspect the current was too high for the circuit board and maybe the resistor. It still works, as I stopped using it as soon as I felt the abnormal heat.

Just a heads-up. Don't try this. It's not necessary. :shakehead

It's also not good for the bulb...
Xenon incans need to be run at full power or they will blacken

DM51

Flashaholic

Yes, as GarageBoy says, it's not doing the bulb any good either.

BTW, I love the idea of your fearless experimental research lab! LOL :thumbsup:

jellydonut

Enlightened

I'm assuming you guys mean the 'low mode' itself. Yes, unfortunately, even if the switch tolerated it the underdriving of the bulb would lower its life expectancy and blacken the envelope. :(

I just wanted to try it and see if it would light up at all with the partially pressed switch, and it surely did, with a faint orange glow. I thought 'neat' until I felt the switch trying to melt my hand. :crackup:

jellydonut

Enlightened

In other news;

I've never been happy with the low level the LX2 provides when using third-party LEs, like for instance the Malkoff M60 and M61 series. I swapped the LX2 tailcap with one of my A2 tailcaps. The low level seemed lower than with the original tailcap, but eyes are not good judges of this. I decided to try something cheap and simple.

Using a 'lux meter' app on my phone (obviously not accurate, but for comparison, it should be useful), I got a consistently lower 'low' with the A2 tailcap than the LX2 tailcap. It seems the A2 tailcap has a higher ohm than the LX2's tailcap.

It's a cheap and simple fix to make third party LEs play better with the LX2, as the original 'low' was more of a 'medium'. The LX2 switch is now working happily on one of my A2s instead. This saves me doing what I dread - tearing the two-stage tailcap apart, removing the original and soldering a new resistor in place. :shakehead

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

You have got to be getting a higher output from your LED's in your A2 using the LX2 tailcap. That has got to drive them pretty hard. Are you using the newer A2 LED?

Bill

jellydonut

Enlightened

You have got to be getting a higher output from your LED's in your A2 using the LX2 tailcap. That has got to drive them pretty hard. Are you using the newer A2 LED?

Bill
Nope, it's an old incandescent A2.

I usually run them on IMR 16340s anyway, and I've got koala's onion rings on order. :p