Quark 123 Turbo X

jeffjeeptj

Newly Enlightened
I got an email about this light. Has CREE XM-L. I ordered it.

What can I expect?

Have been searching here for a couple of months, but never posted until now.

Thanks in advance

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Hello jeffjeeptj,

Considering the earlier Quark Turbo's and the fact that 4Sevens seems to have slightly modified the new Turbo head to accomodate the XM-L, I'm guessing it will have a pretty artifact free 'thrower' beam. It's new and I haven't read any reviews on it yet. So, let us know what you think of it.

Regards.

DaveyJones

Newly Enlightened
i was just looking at it, and noticed it produces 450 lumens, as opposed to the 230 of the r5 version (!)
personally, i'm curious how hot it will get in max mode.

ibbleobble

Newly Enlightened
I'm really keen to get this light, its the one i've been waiting for. Looking forward to your opinions. Also, I would assume that it gets less hot than the xp-g version, because at the same current, it should be converting more of the power to current, and less to heat.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one. I talked to Trevor at 4sevens, and he said the deep carry pocket clip will fit this light. He said, the TurboX "should" be lego-able with the 18650 body, and "will" be lego-able with the rest of the quark line. (There have been issues with the 18650 body not lego-ing with other lights, which is why the 18650 body is being discontinued.) He also said the rechargeable Li-ion 17670 battery usually does not fit in the TurboX (said the battery needs to be no more than 16mm wide...the 17670 is usually 17mm wide. Strangely he said some 17670's will fit, but doesn't recommend buying one for this light because it would be a lottery whether or not the one you get actually fits in it.) So with this in mind I just bought a few rcr123 Li-ion rechargeables. I'll let you all know my impressions after I get it.

EDIT 6/13/11 - I bought two AW brand 17670 Li-ion batteries from 4sevens, and both fit in my Quark 123x2 Turbo X. A little snug, but still slides in & out without much effort. Works great too. Also, the deep carry pocket clip does fit no problem. I had to bend the tip of the clip out a little with a pair of pliers so that the light could easily slide onto my pocket.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the light too, Saturday night I was drinking and got the email flyer that it was in, so I couldn't resist :p . I'm in Canada so it'll probably take an extra week to get to me. I'm stoked about this light :thumbsup:

Bronco

Enlightened
I already have a Maelstrom G5 which is an excellent light. For my own uses, I like a light of this size to be able to throw well.

Thus, the one piece of info I'm most interested in at this point is, how does the new Turbo X's lux rating compare with the G5?.

The head on the new Turbo X is definitely larger, but so much effort went into fine tuning the reflector of the G5 to optimize the beam characteristics of the XP-G emitter that I'm sure it will be a challenge for the Turbo X to better those lux numbers. If it happens though, I'm definitely in. :)

tmackie

Newly Enlightened
Just talked to the guys at 4Sevens. No plans to sell the Turbo XML head on its own at this point. He said that they may decide to sell it by itself at some point down the road, but no time soon.

RBWNY

Enlightened
I already have a Maelstrom G5 which is an excellent light. Thus, the one piece of info I'm most interested in at this point is, how does the new Turbo X's lux rating compare with the G5?.

Yes, I too would like to see a comparison of the "TX" with the Maelstrom. The Turbo's max output is roughly 100 lumens more than the G5 (which to our eye might NOT be that greater of a increase) but perhaps throw and spill will provide a more usable comparison.

ibbleobble

Newly Enlightened
Well I pulled the trigger, yay! And an extra yay for the aussie dollar - $76.58 with the cpf discount, even with paypal's terrible exchange rate. Can't wait.

muskyhunter

Newly Enlightened
I am in Canada too and looking to buy the new X model. Where did you buy your light from? can you forward the weblink?

I ordered the light too, Saturday night I was drinking and got the email flyer that it was in, so I couldn't resist :p . I'm in Canada so it'll probably take an extra week to get to me. I'm stoked about this light :thumbsup:

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had trouble programming their TurboX? It takes me several tries to program the low mode, it never seems to want to enter the programming mode. I'm using RCR123's

By the way, this is a GREAT light... You may be hearing about XM-L's being too floody, but 4Sevens tuned the reflector for the size of the XM-L and it has great throw.

CR123

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had trouble programming their TurboX? It takes me several tries to program the low mode, it never seems to want to enter the programming mode.
Check again: you might be there without realizing it, esp. if accustomed to previous Quarks. The flashing upon entering programming isn't as bright/obvious on the TurboX, and selection begins with the currently programmed mode rather than always Moonlight. Try off/on and if the mode changes, you are programming. Also, avoid a one-hand grip with thumb operation here: it's easy for the fingers to pull that big head back against the light, which would take you out of loose mode if that's the "low" you're trying to program. (And yes, it's a great light.)

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened
He also said the rechargeable Li-ion 17670 battery usually does not fit in the TurboX (said the battery needs to be no more than 16mm long...the 17670 is usually 17mm long. Strangely he said some 17670's will fit, but doesn't recommend buying one for this light because it would be a lottery whether or not the one you get actually fits in it.) So with this in mind I just bought a few rcr123 Li-ion rechargeables. I'll let you all know my impressions after I get it.

Do you mean 17mm wide? After all a 17670 is 17mm wide and 67mm long.

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
Check again: you might be there without realizing it, esp. if accustomed to previous Quarks. The flashing upon entering programming isn't as bright/obvious on the TurboX, and selection begins with the currently programmed mode rather than always Moonlight. Try off/on and if the mode changes, you are programming. Also, avoid a one-hand grip with thumb operation here: it's easy for the fingers to pull that big head back against the light, which would take you out of loose mode if that's the "low" you're trying to program. (And yes, it's a great light.)
I think you're right. When the TurboX signals it is in programming mode, it flashes from the current setting to low (2nd setting). If the current setting is already low, you see no flash.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean 17mm wide? After all a 17670 is 17mm wide and 67mm long.

Hey Jackasper, I did mean 17mm wide (not long,) and 67mm long. I will correct my original post so as not to create confusion.

I love this light by the way. Out of my 30+ lights, it is by far my most favorite light that I've ever owned (to date.) Incredibly small, bright, with amazing throw for such a small package. Legos onto all my other quark bodies (123 body, AA body, AA2 body, and 18650 body.) I took it to the mountains this past weekend & used it to spot bats flying around catching bugs. With that powerful light, it was easy to see them.

Last edited: