Ideas on a "substantial" 2x18650?

ericvw

Newly Enlightened
So I love my smaller EDCs that run on either AA or CR123As. But looking for a nice sturdy heavier/longer alternative for those walks at night. I'm not a fan of the side-stack layout of something like the Fenix TK35, and also not crazy about the "giant head, small body" trend of others. Has anyone seen anything in the market that is essentially same form factor as 3xC Maglite but uses something like a XM-L emitter and 2x18650s?

Bass

Enlightened
Thrunite Catapult. Amazing build - a tank of a light and throws like crazy. Fits all your criteria. That would be my recommendation !!

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MD4 with a MD2, Hound Dog, or Wildcat head.

Yes the Malkoff MD4 body with MD2 bezel host for either a M61 XP-G or a M91 for the XM-L LED modules to go in it if you don't want the big heads that are larger than the body diameter by more than an inch. You cannot get more "substantial" than that. They will probably last your lifetime and then some.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I was gonna say Thrunite Catapult (the latest version), or a Malkoff MD4/Wildcat if you can push the budget a little higher... But I was beat to it.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or something cheaper like Jetbeam BC40 (available in a few weeks).

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite Catapult comes to mind but that MD4/Wildcat listed in B/S/T is a very nice light. Also, if you like the "substantivity" of the Mag, there are some mag drop ins (from Malkoff for example) that will make a Mag sing and allow it to take 2X18650.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that it's not "over the counter," but, anyone with some modding skills can assemble a 2C MagLite using a 2.8A buck driver, a sleeve for 18650s, and your choice of emitters. The parts to do exactly that are available on "The 'Net."

ericvw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. The Malkoff complete package is SWEET but I think out of my price range. I guess I might go the Maglite drop-in route although I hadn't seen the Jetbeam BC40 before so thanks for pointing that out. I have a JET-I PRO V3 and this could be a good big brother. I need to read up a little more on the ThruNite UI but yes, that looks like a pretty good way to go too. Thanks again!

monju123

Newly Enlightened
Lumintop TD-15X. Thrunite Scorpion uses 1 18650. Lumintop can use 2 with optional 2nd extension tube (it comes with 1). The head is small and proportionate to the body size, great fit and finish , all for a little over a $100.