2aa mag question

mag1kate8all

Newly Enlightened
I have looked all over this forum and can't find an answer to my question so here goes does anyone know the tap size for the tail cap on a 2aa mini mag

yazovyet

Enlightened
the threads on mine appear to be 5/8s of an inch at 24 threads per inch.

and by the way the tap is to cut inside threads (like inside the body), a die is used to cut threads on the outside (like the tail cap itself).

yazovyet

Enlightened
i had assumed 24 TPI since it was a standard. but after a google search and seeing some one say it was 27TPI (at http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1335146 ) i am inclined to think it is something odd like 27 or 28. i do know that with my caliper the major diameter of the cap is around .617 inch and the minor diameter on the body (female threads) measured at .588 inch. it sounds like it woudl be a hard thing to get a tap/die for.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Same question, but MagD.

Moving on from there, anyone have the thread size for the MagD end cap to hand?

The size of that thread, I'm guessing that there would be no tap available? If I wanted to shorten a Mag from the rear, and re-thread the body, the threads would have to be machine cut?

mag1kate8all

Newly Enlightened
Re: Same question, but MagD.

Ok since it doesn't appear that I'm going to be able to find a tap for this is there anyone who offers this service and if so what does it usually cost I have two 2aa mini mags and two 2d mags I need cut to 1d

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Same question, but MagD.

Moving on from there, anyone have the thread size for the MagD end cap to hand?

The size of that thread, I'm guessing that there would be no tap available? If I wanted to shorten a Mag from the rear, and re-thread the body, the threads would have to be machine cut?

I don't know the size, but, it's 20 TPI. Yes, you'll probably need to find someone with a lathe to do this.

Ok since it doesn't appear that I'm going to be able to find a tap for this is there anyone who offers this service and if so what does it usually cost I have two 2aa mini mags and two 2d mags I need cut to 1d

You know, I bought a 5/8" X 28 tap for this purpose from eBay some time ago. For the most part it works just fine, though, getting it lined up is the difficult part. I ended up tapping it by starting the tap in the original threads and tapping through before cutting it. You'll then need to remove the last few threads so that the O-ring has something to sit on to retain water resistance. Oh, yeah, the tap is a bit generous so your threads are a bit loose as a result. Since getting my lathe I can do this the right way...