Xeno E06 - again, almost a review

chenko

Enlightened
So, not really a review again, but I just wasn't able to organize the outdoor trip I wanted to take advantage of for reviewing this light, so all I'm giving here is just some pictures and impressions. I will do my best to add further in-use impressions, pics and information in the future.
Please MODs move this to the review section if found worthy.

I consider the Xeno E06 the successor to the venerable Fenix TK20, as it sports all the great features that made the TK20 famous (2xAA powering, great throw, robust construction, wam tint) and more. In particular, a feature that makes this light better than the TK20 is the presence of a third, low, level, which is more than useable and guarantees high runtime.

Here is the flashlight:
Xeno_E06_in-hand.jpg

The two samples I currently have:
Xeno_E06_overview.jpg

Vertical view:
Xeno_E06_vertical.jpg

The wide and deep reflector makes for great throw, the E06 really can throw and is very useful for night orienteering in outdoor trips:
Xeno_E06_reflector-diameter.jpg

Another picture of the reflector and stainless steel bezel:
Xeno_E06_grabbed.jpg

One thing to note is that XP-G base versione (Cool or Neutral tint) feature a smooth reflector, while the XP-E based one (Warm tint) has OP reflector (wise choice to give both flashlights an good quality even beam):
Xeno_E06_reflectors.jpg

Another plus are the GITD (glow in the dark) switch cover and frontal ring. Here's the effect:
Xeno_E06_gitd_02.jpg

GITD switch covers:
Xeno_E06_gitd_03.jpg

Here you can see the different reflectors:
Xeno_E06_gitd_01.jpg

The result of the attention in the design of reflectors by Xeno is a quite even beam for both flashlights, although they both throw well. To be honest it is possible to notice some rings while "white wall hunting" with the one with smooth reflector, but it really isn't visible in real-life use. To better show the difference in beam patterns and presence of rings I enhanced the defect through the image editing software. You can see the beamshots of XP-E warm tinted and XP-G neutral tinted flashlights here:
Xeno_E06_beamshots.jpg

Ergonomy is very good on Xeno flashlights. The characteristic finger grips, typical of the designs by this brand, are well placed and enhance comfort and grip:
Xeno_E06_regular-grip.jpg

A rubber ring makes it possible to hold the flashlight with a "cigar grip":
Xeno_E06_cigar-grip.jpg

The E06 is indeed a very robust flashlight, thickness of the tube exceeds 4mm:
Xeno_E06_wall_thickness.jpg

Waterproofness is enhanced too, with double o-ring of generous thickness :
Xeno_E06_double_o-ring.jpg

There's plenty of accessories too, coming with this flashlight: standard lanyard, replacement o-rings, replacement switch, stainless steel ring and bigger lanyard to use with thicker gloves (very useful in cold weather):
Xeno_E06_accessories.jpg

My judgement: I'm THRILLED by this flashlight, It just has everything I was looking for in an outdoor flashlight and more, its only downside is the price being so low it will be hard to hold from buying more than one!

Deal4

Enlightened
I'd like to know where I can get one also.
You said the price is very low. Can I ask what you paid for it?

chenko

Enlightened
I buy bulk orders. There are a couple of retailers who already wrote in the forum, one is located in the USA and one in Europe.

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
I buy bulk orders. There are a couple of retailers who already wrote in the forum, one is located in the USA and one in Europe.
which retailers still have this in stock in the usa?

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, I have a G42 which I got from Tactical HID over in the market place (excellent dealer) and I really love it!. Xeno offer you a lot of bang for the buck, the quality and build are really high and I love that they provide an extra clicky switch in addition to the typical O rings and boot cover.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
Got my ordered E06, the XML version, in this morning. Going to send it right back. For some reason I can't switch brightness modes when the lamp is on, only when I half press the switch before turning it on, it's like you switch between different momentary modes. Not sure if there's supposed to be a momentary mode or not. Once the light is activated I can't switch modes at all. Was hyped all weekend and looking forward to getting this light and already imagining showing it off to my buds. Me and my luck. :mecry:

So far the observations I've been able to make before putting the light back in its box- great knurling, the light body seems well machined, I like the weight (definitely not for the average person's edc wishes) it's nice and hefty. Centered Led and the beam seems alright too, no artifacts. As with my E03 the switch is pretty stiff.

Not sure about the ergonomics though. Somehow it just doesn't feel right in my hand. The clip definitely gets in the way and had I kept the light, I'd disassembled it somehow. They should make it with a removable clip.

Now I need to figure out if I want a replacement or if I should get a different light instead. Back to my Xeno E03 until then.

Edit: took another look at the manual. Seems like that's not a flaw but you swith modes with half clicks and fully press the switch to lock the mode. From the manual: "For easy & fast shift operation among with the 3-stage output, no need to press the switch button to the end, you can soft-click the button repeatedly to select the output level what you like, then press to the end to lock it."
Am I the only one who thinks that's a strange UI? No thanks, this light's not for me.

Last edited:

kreisler

Banned
Got my ordered E06, the XML version, in this morning. Going to send it right back. For some reason I can't switch brightness modes when the lamp is on, only when I half press the switch before turning it on, it's like you switch between different momentary modes. Not sure if there's supposed to be a momentary mode or not. Once the light is activated I can't switch modes at all. Was hyped all weekend and looking forward to getting this light and already imagining showing it off to my buds. Me and my luck. :mecry:

So far the observations I've been able to make before putting the light back in its box- great knurling, the light body seems well machined, I like the weight (definitely not for the average person's edc wishes) it's nice and hefty. Centered Led and the beam seems alright too, no artifacts. As with my E03 the switch is pretty stiff.

Not sure about the ergonomics though. Somehow it just doesn't feel right in my hand. The clip definitely gets in the way and had I kept the light, I'd disassembled it somehow. They should make it with a removable clip.

Now I need to figure out if I want a replacement or if I should get a different light instead. Back to my Xeno E03 until then.
Hi Moe,
true, you cant switch modes when the lamp is on. This is the same as with the E03, isnt it? (this behavior is typical Xeno and documented in reviews). Yes, the Xeno can be disassembled (you start with the bezel, oring, from top to bottom down, until the head can be removed) and the clip can be removed too; it's just a little hassle haha. Nobody has taken pictures of the disassembly or the disassembled parts but users on BLF have performed the disassembly this way.

afaik there should be no difference between operating (GUI) the E06 and operating the E03. The main difference between the torches (e.g. G5, G10, G42, Farka's) is their optical appearance, i.e. their looks.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
^The modes of the E03 can only be switched when it's turned on, you click to turn the light on and half depress the switch to toggle modes. With the E06 it seems the other way around, half pressing in momentary then full pressing to turn the light on.

kreisler

Banned
Thanks for sharing the details. Now i understand.

it's too bad the Xeno torches dont have momentary activation.

Yeah the quest continues. the search for the most perfect flashlight.. ha.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, finding the holy grail should be more simple. The funny thing about the E06 is- it has momentary mode, but you switch brightness in momentary mode, then lock that mode in by fully pressing the switch. I haven't had many lights so far, but this seems unusual. It's kind of fiddly and I haven't read about that anywhere.

Last edited: