Cabelas 1W - What to do?

jbrett14

Enlightened
I have 3 of these that I bought several years ago from their Bargain Cave.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?54986-cabelas-1w&highlight=cabelas

They do not put out very good light compared to today's lights, but I absolutely love the feel, size, and switch placement on these lights.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do to these lights to improve their light output, or is it not worth my time?

or, does anyone know of any light today that has the same physical design for this size light, with a simple on\off clickie at the front end?

I have yet to find any light that feels as good in the hand, with such a perfectly placed switch. Too bad the light output stinks.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I assume that it uses the old 1-watt Luxeon. How good are you at soldering? You can replace the LED with a Seoul P4. That should at least double your lumens. Any of the newer Cree LEDs (XR-E, XP-G, etc...) may work, but they can be harder to focus in a reflector designed for a Luxeon.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Yes, it is the older luxeon.

I feel fairly confident in my soldering skills. Don't have the experience of many in this group, but I do have good attention to detail.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may just give it a try since I LOVE the body of these lights, for general household purpose, or glove box lights.