What's better than Led Lenser X21

davlee

Newly Enlightened
I have the Led Lenser P7 and P17. I am happy with them for general camping use, but now I am after a torch that will provide much further beam distance. Physical torch size isn't an issue.

Does anyone have the X21 and what do you think of it's light power? Is it on a par with others or is there a better option.

Thanks,
Dave

warmurf

Enlightened
The X21 is a generation behind some of the latest offerings available. But it depends on what your after. Do you want to stick with LL because they use primary batteries? Are you attracted to it for it's power and ability to focus to flood? To help members better answer your question, please give some more specifics as to what you want a light to do- what type of batteries? Lumens output? More flood, throw or both? Budget? Run time? You've already answered size. I would personally steer you towards a VARAPOWER2000 from Lambalights, but there will be a wealth of info to come if you provide more specifics for members.
Cheers.

utlgoa

Enlightened
I own a Led Lenser X21 and it's worth the money (around $264.00), but be aware that Led Lenser will be replacing/upgrading all their products on June 1st 2011 with no price increase!

X21-Koffer.jpg

x21_strand1.jpg

Zoom5_OFF_IMG_5109.jpg

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that kind of money I'd go with a Malkoff Hound Dog XML. You would need to get some 18650's too though.

davlee

Newly Enlightened
The X21 is a generation behind some of the latest offerings available. But it depends on what your after. Do you want to stick with LL because they use primary batteries? Are you attracted to it for it's power and ability to focus to flood? To help members better answer your question, please give some more specifics as to what you want a light to do- what type of batteries? Lumens output? More flood, throw or both? Budget? Run time? You've already answered size. I would personally steer you towards a VARAPOWER2000 from Lambalights, but there will be a wealth of info to come if you provide more specifics for members.
Cheers.

Here are my needs:-
Batteries - I prefer those that are readily purchased in out of the way towns (alkalines).
Focus to Flood - Preferable
Lumens output - the stated lumens on my P17 is around 200 and I would like maybe 800, but with lack of torch experience I don't really know how powerful this is.
Run time - Two hours plus
Physical size - Not too small so it is not readily lost and also readily felt inside the tent.
Budget - not a real issue
All my leisure time is spent camping in remote parts of Australia. I enjoy looking for nocturnal animals (on the ground & in trees) late at night. The further away I can first spot them the better.
Although I carry a small GPS, it would also be advantageous to be able to see the tent from quite some distance to easily navigate my way back.

Thanks,
Dave

Lanque

Newly Enlightened
I have an X21. I am most happy with it when its got a fresh set of batteries in it. Being unregulated, the light output does tend to drop off quite a bit as the cells get used.
Personally, I am looking at Fenix at the moment. They have a few new XML lights in the pipeline ... the TK41 (8xAA) 800 lumen, and the TK70 rumored to be 4xD and approx 2000 lumen iirc.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Look at the Fenix TK50. I don't believe it's focusable, but nice price and runs on 2xD batteries, available about anywhere. 800+ lumens.

Lanque

Newly Enlightened
Look at the Fenix TK50. I don't believe it's focusable, but nice price and runs on 2xD batteries, available about anywhere. 800+ lumens.

The TK50 is only 255 lumens, but it does throw well. I have one in the mail. Once it lands, I'll let you know how it compares to the X21.

Edit: http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php has shots of both the TK50 (under Fenix) and the Led Lenser P7 (under other) in action, as well as a lot of other flashlights. The op can use these as comparisons.

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened
The TK50 is only 255 lumens, but it does throw well. I have one in the mail. Once it lands, I'll let you know how it compares to the X21.

Edit: http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php has shots of both the TK50 (under Fenix) and the Led Lenser P7 (under other) in action, as well as a lot of other flashlights. The op can use these as comparisons.

OOps! My bad. I did post incorrect output ratings for the TK50. Don't know what the hell I was thinking. Thanks for the correction!

davlee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far.
Two questions for a torch uneducated person:-

What is the difference between regulated & unregulated please?
Are the lumen ratings trustworthy and how do they rate to light intensity? That is, would 800 lumens be 4x as bright as 200 lumens?

Thanks again,
Dave

bbb74

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far.
Two questions for a torch uneducated person:-

What is the difference between regulated & unregulated please?
Are the lumen ratings trustworthy and how do they rate to light intensity? That is, would 800 lumens be 4x as bright as 200 lumens?

Thanks again,
Dave

- Regulated lights have circuitry between the batteries and the led to control the current going to the led. This allows the torch to have a pretty much constant output level even as the batteries are being used up. When the batteries are flat or close to flat, a regulated light will suddenly go from full brightness to pretty dim very quickly. An unregulated light will start out bright and start fading immediately as the batteries are used - over time the light will fade away to nothing. Unregulated lights are often advertised with ridiculous battery life - because they count all the time when the light is dim, which will be most of the time :) Some unregulated lights (like the x21 I think) can't handle NiMH rechargeables because the NiMH will hold up a higher voltage over a longer time and therefore cause heat issues, whereas alkalines voltage will rapidly drop off, so while with alkalines it will be brighter than NiMH for a couple of minutes or so, after that they will be much dimmer. With a regulated light generally you wouldn't see any difference between alkalines and nimh.

Some lumen ratings are pretty trustworthy - look for ansi lumens, or at least OTF (out the front) lumens being specified. If you don't see those, in most cases it will be a pretty wild claim.

800 lumens is 4 times as much light coming out the torch compared to 200 lumens. But it won't look 4 times brighter to your eyes because our eyes don't see brightness linearly. It might look twice as bright or thereabouts. Lumens are the total amount of light, but do not tell you how tightly focussed that light is so it doesn't tell you how far the torch will throw the light, for that look at lux.

davlee

Newly Enlightened
After reading the answers, I am keen on getting a regulated torch. It seems a much better complete use of the batteries.

Regarding this comment "The X21 is a generation behind some of the latest offerings available". - Is this because it is unregulated? If so, maybe the new models referred to might be regulated.

Unless anyone has any further suggestions, I figure I will wait for the updated X21 or the Fenix TK70. In Oz, it is rare to find high class torches in any of the stores. Purchase via the internet is usually the only way. This makes reliability a big issue as warranty doesn't apply unless purchased in Australia. The Led Lenser X21 is somewhat available in OZ, but the cost is near $500 (ouch).

bbb74

Enlightened
One other thing I just thought of. With unregulated lights you wouldn't normally get any modes other than "off" and "on". With a regulated light, you can get multiple output levels (which can be exceptionally useful) and blinky modes (which may or may not be so useful). Having less bright modes can be good for smaller spaces, closer objects, or to increase battery life significantly.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
One other thing I just thought of. With unregulated lights you wouldn't normally get any modes other than "off" and "on". With a regulated light, you can get multiple output levels (which can be exceptionally useful) and blinky modes (which may or may not be so useful). Having less bright modes can be good for smaller spaces, closer objects, or to increase battery life significantly.

This isn't necessarily correct, using resistors or by using multiple LEDs and not switching on all of them or by using PWM you can get different levels of light, too.

warmurf

Enlightened
For reliable quailty and regulation, the Fenix AA flashlights would likely be your best bet IMHO. The TK40 or 45, or more so some of the up and coming lights mentioned above will make you very happy. Be mindful however that sticking to primaries is limiting your options considerably. Most high performance LEDs now use Li-ion batteries with the most common being the 18650 battery. I understand your concern re having batteries easy to get locally, but if you plan ahead you can take as many charged Li-ion batteries with you camping and simply cycle thru them over the weekend or time away. Depending on the light's performance, you can usually work on 45 mins to 1 hour run time on 1 18650 battery.

It sounds like you want a bit of throw, so you may want to consider a light with a SST-50 LED. Tighter beam profile, but most will throw well out to 100 metres. I don't know of any SST-50s however that take AA batteries. I don't know where you are down here in Oss but if you can hook up with a flashaholic with a good collection, they could meet up with you and take you thru the different variants of LEDs and battery formats.

bbb74

Enlightened
I thought that PWM = regulated? But I do see that a resistor or cutting out some leds would work. In the quick look I had, I didn't see that the x21 had multiple levels though, could be wrong.

That video linked to by utlgoa is pretty awesome.