Secutor PEL-6

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
the Secutor PEL-6 seems to be just a gladius with a new name.
Why do they use a deprecated led in a new flashlight ?
and why only 275 lumens with the upgrade ? ( and why upgrade for a new light ?)

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened
The only way that light would be viable is if it was "upgraded" when you bought it. Buying the light, then having to pay extra for the upgrade is ridiculous.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Agree - I was rather excited to see this at first, but disappointed at the specs and the price. It does indeed seem to be just a rebadged Gladius with no upgrades to the driver. And you have to pay extra to get the XP-G upgrade !

It all seems a little late to the game when you can get a very similar light with an XM-L and 750 Lumens for less dinero.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
SECUTOR said:
SUPER DURABLE Ceramic Coating – This coating is so tough you can take a coin and scratch the surface and the finish of the coin will come off onto the surface. Simply rubbing damp cloth on area where coin is rubbed and scratches will be removed.

Sounds like a coating you'd best keep away from your keys!

1kh1y.jpg

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
I have a gladius "creemator" and a thrunite scorpion V2
No Way, the scorpion is far far more powerfull in lumens.
The built quality is the same IMO
Just the gladius is probably more waterproff. ( there is 3 O ring in the tailcap / one for the scorpion=

Xacto

Enlightened
I have a gladius "creemator" and a thrunite scorpion V2
The built quality is the same IMO
Just the gladius is probably more waterproff. ( there is 3 O ring in the tailcap / one for the scorpion=

And with the Scorpion being user servicable while the Gladius head is glued to the body and you get nearly 2,5 Scorpions for one new Gladius price tag wise.
After seeing a Gladius picture the other day with my Scorpion V1 next to the laptop, I have the impression that the Scorpion tailcap should/could offer more grip then the Gladius, am I right?

Cheers
Thorsten

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
@ Xacto
the Gladius head is glued to the body .
You can open the gladius head. it's not really Glued. You have to use some tools like pliers or "the tool in rubber we use to remove car oil filter" ( sorry for my bad english) .
ICARUS, a well known flashlight moder change my gladius led with a SSCp4 and after the dust problem i had with the CREEMATOR Upgrade, i open it again. So Gladius can be completely disassemble

I have the impression that the Scorpion tailcap should/could offer more grip then the Gladius, am I right?
No, the notches have the same depth. The gladius Rotating tailcap is just a little harder to turn (more resistance)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Thanks zifnab - it's useful to have a comparison from someone who has both.

Just to clarify, you're saying the Scorpion IS much brighter ?

You have to use some tools like pliers or "the tool in rubber we use to remove car oil filter"
Good description: we call it a strap wrench - and yes, you can open the Gladius head with it, as shown in this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?272611-XP-G-modded-Gladius

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify, you're saying the Scorpion IS much brighter ?

Yes, gladius is at max 700Mah, so you can put any led you want... it's impossible to be as bright as a 3A led driven. ( gladius (creemator) is +- 270 lumens . Scorpion is +- 750 lumens)
BUT, with a "new led", you have , with 700 Mah, a very long run time ( very long against 3A flashlight of course) . And in "Operation", in a building, you really don't need to much lumens. 200 Lumens are the max you need. After that, every boddy is blind. ( remember, there is few years, a surfire 90 lumens was the Best for tactical operations)
So , a "new gladius", with a "new led" can be a valuable flashlight. ( but not at this price)

Xacto

Enlightened
[...]( sorry for my bad english) .
[...]No, the notches have the same depth. The gladius Rotating tailcap is just a little harder to turn (more resistance)

No reason to say sorry, I wish every frenchman I have on the phone at work could speak as good as you write.

Back to flashlights.... I meant the part on the tailcap below the selector ring, that is knurled on the Scorpion.

I knew that some modders managed to open the Gladius, my comment was more aimed at the possibility to open it without tools.

Cheers
Thorsten

Last edited:

Ghostrider304

Newly Enlightened
So I am a first time poster on this site, but I wanted to share some input on the PEL-6.

I pre-ordered mine in May and it took forever and a day to get it from Strategos.

It did finally show up last week at my house and my first impression was that it is a very sturdy light. I did have a bit of difficulty gettting it set up since I wanted it in mode 3. Took a few trys to get the process worked out to change the mode, but once I had it figured out it was veryt easy.

I like the light so far. It will be very handy to use at work, just wish it came with a belt holder, had to order one of the old Blackhawk holders for it.

I will keep you all updated if you want, after I have had a chance to use it on the street. I hope it will be as reliable as my Sure Fire 6Z has always been for me.

Will-

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened
So I am a first time poster on this site, but I wanted to share some input on the PEL-6.

I pre-ordered mine in May and it took forever and a day to get it from Strategos.

It did finally show up last week at my house and my first impression was that it is a very sturdy light. I did have a bit of difficulty gettting it set up since I wanted it in mode 3. Took a few trys to get the process worked out to change the mode, but once I had it figured out it was veryt easy.

I like the light so far. It will be very handy to use at work, just wish it came with a belt holder, had to order one of the old Blackhawk holders for it.

I will keep you all updated if you want, after I have had a chance to use it on the street. I hope it will be as reliable as my Sure Fire 6Z has always been for me.

Will-

Please do. I have the older Gladius with xpg mod from Strategos. Once you get to know it better it will be second nature. I think the Gladius in terms of Interface is a bit better than the Scorpion. But the Scorpion beats it in ouput.

Ghostrider304

Newly Enlightened
Please do. I have the older Gladius with xpg mod from Strategos. Once you get to know it better it will be second nature. I think the Gladius in terms of Interface is a bit better than the Scorpion. But the Scorpion beats it in ouput.

I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on Lights, I'm more of a gun guy. I took a Tactical Fire Arms INstructors Course by Strategos earlier this year and I got to try the Gladius. Of course it was discontinued, but the Instructor said that they were working on the Secutor.

I have had a SureFire 6Z for the past 14 years, my wife got it for me when I graduated from the Academy. It has been great other than it eat batteries and bulbs. SureFire got me an LED bulb and it has been great ever since, but it does not have the output this new light has.

When I've had it for a few month I will be sure and report back.

Will-

MAjorwest

Newly Enlightened
Agree - I was rather excited to see this at first, but disappointed at the specs and the price. It does indeed seem to be just a rebadged Gladius with no upgrades to the driver. And you have to pay extra to get the XP-G upgrade !

It all seems a little late to the game when you can get a very similar light with an XM-L and 750 Lumens for less dinero.

Actually the "driver" has been upgraded. The Gladius has a burn off time after the power is turned off. In low light conditions it would leave a easily seen trail for the suspect to see and track. The PEL-6 has fixed this. Also the warranty has been extended to 2 years, and the tail cap locks out from either side. The Blackhawk holsters are the way to go with this light anyway. I agree the price is a bit to swallow (I work for Strategos and sell the new light) but I have also personally spent $1000s of dollars on many different flashlights. After my first Low Light course with Strategos I since then see that the Gladius/PEL-6 is a waste of money to an untrained operator. I personally know several individuals that purchased the Gladius just because it was Blackhawk and cool gear.

Can you post a link to the Scorpion light. I did a search and came up with 20 plus lights.

I wont try to tell you the PEL-6 is the only light worth having. It did solve a lot of my problems and filled my flash light needs but after the 100+ hours of low light training I would feel confident hunting in the dark with a Bic lighter and a dull spoon.

Any light will work. Some better than others. Brighter is not always better. 700lm would do a great job outdoors. Inside, I bet you would spend a lot of time blinding ones self.

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
IMHO, there would be no need for holsters if the Gladius and now the Secutor had removable belt clips like the Thrunite Scorpion. At the very least the Secutor could have a Cree XPG R5 in it already driven between 1.0 to 1.5 A instead of the weak 120 lumens Cree (looks like a Q3) emitter it has.

Ghostrider304

Newly Enlightened
Well I will have to get some pics up, but I have had the light for awhile now. Some good and bad stuff to report.

I have killed a set of Battiers on it, not by use, but by the tail cap unlocking in the holster. Major PITA to say the least since I did not figure it out till I went to use it. I found that if I turn the lock to the other side of the switch position it does not come unlocked. Think it has to do with the side I carry it on my belt.

The switch has been a PITA as well. Sometimes the momentary on will stay on, or the strobe will stay on after letting go of the button. Really not a huge deal, but for the money I expected better!!!.

The light itself is very handy, bright enough in day or night time. Finish is holding up well. I am carrying it in a BlackHawk holster made for the Gladius, since the body is identical it fit great.

Other than the few mentioned issues I'd say I'm happy with this light. Would I buy it again? Well not sure I would.

I'll try and take a few pics and post them here.

Will-

Ghostrider304

Newly Enlightened
Okay so I thought I would give you one more post on this light as I have had it for well over a year now. All and all, great light. Still have issues with the tail cap functions, but I've just learned to live with them.

The finish is starting to come off in spots near where the holster grabs it on the barrel. I thought that was one of the things that was supposed to have been improved over the old light. Oh well.

I do really like the light, very impressive at night and works well in darkness of a car during the day as well.

Again, not sure that I would buy it again.

Would be interested to see if anyone else has any reviews on this light, or am I the only person to buy one?!?

Thanks,
Will-