Hi from Georgia, and and LED light noob!

blackhemi

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to introduce myself. I found this forum while researching a new LED light. I have a 3 and 4D cell LED mag's, a bunch of 3aa LED mags, a mag LED xl100(pretty disappointed with it), a few cheapo Dorcy LED's, Coleman Max W-R-B LED ( which is actually may favorite at the moment), and a surefire G2 Nitrolon.

Back in the days, I used the classic streamlight stinger. Loved that light.

Now, Im in the market for another small, but powerful light. I would like something like the surefire 6px pro. What I dont want, non standard batteries. I want to use NiMH, or have the option of alkaline if I was in a bind. 200 lumens at a minimum, but more if possible :) Is there a perfect LED flashlight out there??

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should search within the forum - you'll find a wealth of information, and as many opinions as there are responses. How much do you want to spend? What do you consider "non standard batteries"? Many users here consider the venerable CR123 (or a rechargeable version of it) as a standard battery. Do you want AA?

I'd seriously consider the Jetbeam RRT0 with an AA adapter - it gives you the option of either battery, and well over 200 lumen. You might also consider the Zebralight SC51 - AA only, great interface, great price, great little light.

I'm sure many others will join in, but you could really find tons of info with a simple search.

And, by the way - :welcome:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome to CPF..

goinggear.com is located in georgia. make a drive out to there, they have tons of models. and are great to deal with.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, and Hi from Georgia. Now on to the lights. :)

Are you looking to use AAA, AA, C, or D size NiMH?

If you do decide to go with Litium batteries sometime in the future you can have a very small light with a lot of output.

broonzbane

Newly Enlightened
welcome to CPF..

goinggear.com is located in georgia. make a drive out to there, they have tons of models. and are great to deal with.

+1!!!

To be more precise, Going Gear is in Smyrna, just outside of Atlanta. And they have the most impressive display of flashlights you might EVER see (hundreds!!!). It's definitely worth a trip there to get your hands on the lights you're about to buy.

broonzbane

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and welcome to CPF!

You're going to get a lot of questions as some of the experts here on the forums help you identify your perfect light. To save some time, I am posting a questionnaire below that will help us help you find your perfect light. It will take a few minutes to complete, but it will help you get the most relevant recommendations.

Cheers!

Recommend a Flashlight Checklist: (Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!) Please mark "x" inside the [ ] to indicate your choice and please delete the options that you are not at all interested in.

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
[ ] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
[ ] I am in _______(country) and __________(state/providence).

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!
[ ] $1-15
[ ] $15-30
[ ] $40-60
[ ] $80-$120
[ ] I have no limit!

4) Format:
PART A
[ ] I want a flashlight.
[ ] I want a headlamp.
[ ] I want a lantern.
[ ] I want a portable spotlight.

PART B
Length:
[ ] 1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
[ ] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
[ ] 4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

PART C
Width:
[ ] I prefer a long narrow light.
[ ] I prefer a short wide light.
[ ] Doesn't matter.

PART D
Weight:
Lights of a similar size can be very different in weight and may turn the perfect sized light into a paper weight. In general a lights of the same size will stack up like this; plastic and aluminum will be your lighter choices brass, stainless steel, bronze will be heavier. I won't put numbers here because everyone has a different weight sensitivity. For the purposes of EDC specifically I'll limit the choices here to the more easily carried sizes pick 2 sizes to represent a range of weight.
[ ] Very light, can't tell it's there.
[ ] Light, no heavier than a few keys or a small car remote.
[ ] Medium light, about the weight of a AAA MiniMag
[ ] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag
[ ] Heavy Medium, can of Coke
[ ] Heavy, PDA or small digital camera

5) What kind of "bulb".
[ ] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less accurate color rendition, in general less output but more efficient (longer runtimes)
[ ] Incandescent - can be very bright, more accurate color rendition, burn out or can be damaged more easily, shorter runtimes, very noticeable dimming as batteries deplete
[ ] HID - like new car headlights in color, very, very bright, can be had in lights as small as a Mag 2 D cell but generally larger spotlight sized lights, no dimming turns off when battery depletes
[ ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

6) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.
[ ] I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
[ ] I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
[ ] I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
[ ] I want to read a map, find a light switch/keyhole, or get around the house at w/o disturbing anyone. (5-10 lumens)
[ ] I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
[ ] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
[ ] I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
[ ] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries. Understand that runtime is a function of brightness and capacity of your batteries. If you want 6 hours you'll either have big batteries or dimmer light, they haven't made a setup yet that lights up like the sun, runs all night, and fits in your watch pocket. ;)
[ ] 20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
[ ] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
[ ] 240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
[ ] 360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
[ ] Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
[ ] Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
[ ] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
[ ] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type:
[ ] I don't care.
[ ] sliding switch (Stays on until slid back.)
[ ] clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
[ ] momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)
[ ] rotating switch

12) Switch Location:
[ ] I don't care.
[ ] I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
[ ] I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
[ ] I want a rotating head switch.
[ ] I want a rotating end-cap switch.
[ ] I want a remote control.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
[ ] A simple on-off is fine for me.
[ ] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
[ ] I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
[ ] I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
[ ] I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)
[ ] I want S.O.S. flashing

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; think caving or lights that get dropped or abused.
[ ] I don't care.
[ ] I want a metal-bodied light.
[ ] I want a plastic/composite light.

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
[ ] Red (night vision preserving) filter
[ ] Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
[ ] Waterproof – how deep: _____________
[ ] Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
[ ] Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
[ ] Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
[ ] "Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
[ ] Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
[ ] Belt/Jacket clip
[ ] Holster
[ ] Wrist/Neck Lanyard
[ ] Kuboton/self defense features
[ ] Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

mrlysle

Enlightened
welcome to CPF..

That's EXACTLY what I would do! Go see Marshall and get your hands on some of the lights. He could probably give you some helpful advice as well.

blackhemi

Newly Enlightened
whoops, Helps I subscribe to my own thread :D

I did run across a thread about FENIX TK35, and I think its just awesome. I still have a lot to check out to. The rechargeable batteries that this uses is good for me too. I can bring spares if needed.

Now Ill go and read the rest of this thread.

tmackie

Newly Enlightened
That's EXACTLY what I would do! Go see Marshall and get your hands on some of the lights. He could probably give you some helpful advice as well.

+1

The guys at Going Gear are VERY helpful. I was in Atlanta for a meeting last week and swung by and they "fit" me for a brand new Thrunite Neutron 2A light

blackhemi

Newly Enlightened
Ill have to check out going gear. they are about 40 miles from me. Im in Loganville, GA.

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
To carry in the car, nightstand, walking to my shop a few hundred yards in the woods, some hiking. Just an all around super bright all purpose light... i think.
2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
[x ] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
[x ] I am in USA (country) and N Georgia (state/providence).

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!
[ ] $1-15
[ ] $15-30
[ ] $40-60
[x] $80-$200
[ ] I have no limit!

4) Format:
PART A
[x] I want a flashlight.
[ ] I want a headlamp.
[ ] I want a lantern.
[ ] I want a portable spotlight.

PART B
Length:
[ ] 1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
[x] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
[x] 4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

PART C
Width:
[ ] I prefer a long narrow light.
[ ] I prefer a short wide light.
[x] Doesn't matter.

PART D
Weight:
Lights of a similar size can be very different in weight and may turn the perfect sized light into a paper weight. In general a lights of the same size will stack up like this; plastic and aluminum will be your lighter choices brass, stainless steel, bronze will be heavier. I won't put numbers here because everyone has a different weight sensitivity. For the purposes of EDC specifically I'll limit the choices here to the more easily carried sizes pick 2 sizes to represent a range of weight.
[ ] Very light, can't tell it's there.
[ ] Light, no heavier than a few keys or a small car remote.
[ ] Medium light, about the weight of a AAA MiniMag
[ ] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag
[x] Heavy Medium, can of Coke
[ ] Heavy, PDA or small digital camera

5) What kind of "bulb".
[x] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less accurate color rendition, in general less output but more efficient (longer runtimes)
[ ] Incandescent - can be very bright, more accurate color rendition, burn out or can be damaged more easily, shorter runtimes, very noticeable dimming as batteries deplete
[ ] HID - like new car headlights in color, very, very bright, can be had in lights as small as a Mag 2 D cell but generally larger spotlight sized lights, no dimming turns off when battery depletes
[ ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

6) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.
[ ] I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
[x] I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
[x] I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
[ ] I want to read a map, find a light switch/keyhole, or get around the house at w/o disturbing anyone. (5-10 lumens)
[ ] I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
[x] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
[ ] I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
[x] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)
multiple modes :)

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)---------x-------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries. Understand that runtime is a function of brightness and capacity of your batteries. If you want 6 hours you'll either have big batteries or dimmer light, they haven't made a setup yet that lights up like the sun, runs all night, and fits in your watch pocket.
[ ] 20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
[x] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
[x] 240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
[ ] 360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
[ ] Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
[ ] Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
[x] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
[x] Critical ( Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type:
[ ] I don't care.
[ ] sliding switch (Stays on until slid back.)
[x] clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
[x] momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)
[ ] rotating switch

12) Switch Location:
[x] I don't care.
[ ] I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
[ ] I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
[ ] I want a rotating head switch.
[ ] I want a rotating end-cap switch.
[ ] I want a remote control.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
[ ] A simple on-off is fine for me.
[ ] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
[x] I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
[x] I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
[x] I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)
[ ] I want S.O.S. flashing

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; think caving or lights that get dropped or abused.
[x] I don't care.
[ ] I want a metal-bodied light.
[ ] I want a plastic/composite light.

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
[ ] Red (night vision preserving) filter
[optional ] Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
[x] Waterproof – how deep: few feet, in case if fell in a steam.
[ ] Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
[ ] Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
[x] Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
[ ] "Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
[ ] Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
[ ] Belt/Jacket clip
[ ] Holster
[ ] Wrist/Neck Lanyard
[ ] Kuboton/self defense features
[ ] Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

I think this survey covered most of it. Bright strobe is important since it would be used with my pistol for home defense.

blackhemi

Newly Enlightened
yeeee hawwwwwww! I took the advice and made a trip out to Going Gear. That was an awesome experience. Great staff, and killer display of flashlights. I tested just about every one. Even the ones out of my price range. I ended up buying the Fenix TK15. I liked the brightness of the Lumintop TD-15X (XM-L T6) but the beam pattern wasn't cutting it for me and the twisty top thing to change modes felt unnatural to me. I also played with the Fenix TK35. That is on my list for my next light. Insanely bright, and I found it to be quite comfortable to hold.

I also picked up the Trustfire charger and a couple Trustfire 2500 mAh 18650. I think this is going to get addicting!

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeeee hawwwwwww! I took the advice and made a trip out to Going Gear. That was an awesome experience. Great staff, and killer display of flashlights. I tested just about every one. Even the ones out of my price range. I ended up buying the Fenix TK15. I liked the brightness of the Lumintop TD-15X (XM-L T6) but the beam pattern wasn't cutting it for me and the twisty top thing to change modes felt unnatural to me. I also played with the Fenix TK35. That is on my list for my next light. Insanely bright, and I found it to be quite comfortable to hold.

I also picked up the Trustfire charger and a couple Trustfire 2500 mAh 18650. I think this is going to get addicting!

You picked a solid light with awesome batteries, and made the right decision to drive over to Going Gear (great store.) I started as you did a few years ago, and yes it is very addicting but fun. Another place to check out is 4sevens located in Tucker, GA (little closer to you,) and they carry Quarks, Maelstroms, Prion's, Olights, and Fenix. (I grew up in Tucker, and know the Atlanta area well.)

blackhemi

Newly Enlightened
You picked a solid light with awesome batteries, and made the right decision to drive over to Going Gear (great store.) I started as you did a few years ago, and yes it is very addicting but fun. Another place to check out is 4sevens located in Tucker, GA (little closer to you,) and they carry Quarks, Maelstroms, Prion's, Olights, and Fenix. (I grew up in Tucker, and know the Atlanta area well.)

4sevens was my next stop on the way home, but my A/C guy called and was on his way. I just wanted to check them out to. Im new to GA, so its always an adventure when I leave Loganville :p

I do think for the most part I want to stick to flashlights that use the 18650's and/or 123a's. Picked up some 123a for back up in case I ever got in a bind and needed juice.

Jackasper

Enlightened
Good move on the Li-ion batteries. You will find that there are alot of good choices using those cells. Better run times and brighter beams and lots of options!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens was my next stop on the way home, but my A/C guy called and was on his way. I just wanted to check them out to. Im new to GA, so its always an adventure when I leave Loganville :p

I do think for the most part I want to stick to flashlights that use the 18650's and/or 123a's. Picked up some 123a for back up in case I ever got in a bind and needed juice.

Loganville! You're just minutes from me. :)

I have an ice cream shop in Monroe if you ever go that way stop in and if I am there we can chat about some flashlights. :)

blackhemi

Newly Enlightened
Loganville! You're just minutes from me. :)

I have an ice cream shop in Monroe if you ever go that way stop in and if I am there we can chat about some flashlights. :)

Im a sucker for ice cream! Which shop?

I love lights, just install HIDs on my truck. Before anyone flames me, I did a true retrofit, not tne annoying HIDs you see blinding oncoming traffic! :)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's The Sweet Shoppe and Soda Stop in Monroe. Once you get off Hwy.11 turn right pass two traffic lights and we are on the right.

What year is the Ram? I have always loved Dodge trucks!

blackhemi

Newly Enlightened
It's The Sweet Shoppe and Soda Stop in Monroe. Once you get off Hwy.11 turn right pass two traffic lights and we are on the right.

What year is the Ram? I have always loved Dodge trucks!

2010 black quadcab 4x4. :) Hemi of course!

I think I will round up the kiddos and get some ice cream in the near future. Im always out in that area. I rarely venture west of loganville. To many people lol

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
2010 black quadcab 4x4. :) Hemi of course!

I think I will round up the kiddos and get some ice cream in the near future. Im always out in that area. I rarely venture west of loganville. To many people lol

Nice truck! Is that the one with the saddle bag walls on the sides and the new front end?

I lived in Loganville before 2006 for 10 years and it has grown considerably since I have moved. When I moved to Loganville the only grocery store was Ingles and nothing else, it was peaceful and very quiet at night.