Fenix LD10 R5 on 14500s?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone run them in the LD10 R5 version?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Anyone run a LD10 R5 on 14500s?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny thing about Fenix lights that are made for Alkalines (ld10r5, and even the tk50 and some of their AAX2 lights) They do not give you low when using higher than 1.5 v per batt. (the TK50 even takes away the 4lumen setting on brand new energizer max D batts) The LD10 will not give you a low level on a 14500 3.7v batt for a long time into the cycle. I do like the Titanium AA 3v batts from Battery Junction because they pretty much immediately will give you a 'low' level...though it is higher than a e2 energizer lithium would be...but it is also brighter...aprox 180+ Lumens if I were guessing. I really like these batteries in my LD10 R5 and this light has become my edc light.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. So you can safely use 14500s you just lose the lower modes correct? How long does it last on maximum brightness?

Titanium AA 3v. Never heard of these will look into.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix LD10 with the older Q5 LED in it, and have always been afraid to run Li-ion bats in it. Can I safely run a 14500 in that light? Anyone do this regularly?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
How many lumnes would I be getting with the Fenix LD10 with 14500? I only use high mode so it doesn't bother me without low modes.

dukuncute

Newly Enlightened
is it realy save using 14500 on LD10? does it shortened the LED lifetime?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not used a 14500 long-term in mine, but have used one off & on. I tend to think that on a limited basis it'd be ok. I lost interest using the 14500 in it though because you lose all of the other levels. With a Li-ion it just runs "wide open," no low medium or even high. The LD10 only has a boost circuit, and does not have a buck circuit which would buck the extra power down so the other levels would be useable. Fenix lights are really efficient since they only use one type of circuit, but the price they pay for this is not being able to effectively use the 4.2v Li-ion batteries. Quark lights for instance have both a boost and a buck circuit which is why they can use any type of battery. If you put a weak 1.5v alkaline battery in it then the boost circuit boosts the power up as much as possible so that other levels are useable. If you have a powerful 4.2v Li-ion rechargeable 14500 in the light then the buck circuit kicks in and bucks the power down so that the lower levels can be useable. The big benifit of the 14500 is being able to achieve the much higher outputs that alkalines are unable to produce. Unfortunately in the LD10 the only useful output with a 14500 is max...it's over 200 lumens though.