Malkoff M61 & Solarforce bezel?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an M61 dropin coming. I'm planning on using it with a Solarforce bezel and a Surefire 6P body. Is this going to work? I read one post that said it would NOT. I did some searching and found some that said it WOULD but I'd need to wrap it in aluminum foil or something.

:confused:

This is the exact head I have:

http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?id=181&s=14&t=FA

Anyone know?

It absolutely will work. Just make sure to wrap the Malkoff in copper tape for a snug fit in your host. :devil:

srfreddy

Enlightened
It absolutely will work. Just make sure to wrap the Malkoff in copper tape for a snug fit in your host. :devil:

The copper foil is for optimum heat transfer to the host body, so heat has somewhere to go. The dropin itself sits in the body, the head goes over it and keeps the dropin pressed down. Hm... and oh look, copper tape in your sig! :whistle:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have an M61 dropin coming. I'm planning on using it with a Solarforce bezel and a Surefire 6P body. Is this going to work? I read one post that said it would NOT.
It's always helpful to cite the particular posts for context in either case. The issue is that the SolarForce bezel is deeper in the H1 dimension below, by ~0.020-0.030" (I can't recall exactly at the moment). This might permit the Malkoff module to rattle inside a fully tightened SolarForce head on a SF 6P body, perhaps resulting in intermittent electrical contact for the exterior contact (i.e. the negative contact).

If this issue arises, something to re-establish good electrical contact is needed, such as aluminum foil or copper tape.

SFhead_bezel.jpg

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
M61 in Surefire host (non bored) and Solarforce bezel... works like a charm... bored surefire, you have similar thing like you have in Solarforce bodies, the module will rattle, as Kestrel said (can be fixed with carefull aplication of foil and copper tape)... but it works fine with original G2 and 6P, only leaves smaller gap between bezel and body... as a matter of fact, when you use it on G2, you can actually FORCE the tightening resulting in innner tube slide maybe a 1mm backwards in the body and you have G2 M61xx without a gap... on the other end tube is covered with tailcap and whole light looks like it was built that way... But M61 is not recommended for Nitrolon bodies, this is only in case you have L or LL model...

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using Solarforce bezels on my 6P and G2L bodies with Malkoffs and have had no problems or rattle.When using the Solarforce body and bezel with a Malkoff I have to wrap the module to make proper contact.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Well I got my Oveready package today! It's a good thing I got the "M2 bezel adapter" (+$1.00) because it actually made the Solarforce head work with the M61! Without this rubber spacer it wouldn't even come on! With it works just fine. Having said that I actually switched back to my default Surefire 6P bezel for this drop-in. Despite my old 6P bezel being all scratched and banged up it seemed to make the module a TINY bit brighter than the Solarforce head. I'm sure some foil would help though.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I think I'm just gonna order a new Z44 from Oveready. Man they are INTO ME for some serious bucks now! And here I thought my other hobbies (Guns, PCs, Comicbooks) were expensive! :shakehead:)

dss_777

Enlightened
M61 in Surefire host (non bored) and Solarforce bezel... works like a charm... bored surefire, you have similar thing like you have in Solarforce bodies, the module will rattle, as Kestrel said (can be fixed with carefull aplication of foil and copper tape)... but it works fine with original G2 and 6P, only leaves smaller gap between bezel and body... as a matter of fact, when you use it on G2, you can actually FORCE the tightening resulting in innner tube slide maybe a 1mm backwards in the body and you have G2 M61xx without a gap... on the other end tube is covered with tailcap and whole light looks like it was built that way... But M61 is not recommended for Nitrolon bodies, this is only in case you have L or LL model...

I think you mean "not recommended for Nitrolon bezels", right?

Nitrolon bodies are not a problem here.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
dss_777,

Nope, I meant the whole body shouldn't have any nitrolon parts (well... tailcap is acceptable since all the way on the other end but who would make that setup) for better heat dissipation, above 200 LED lumens (approx.)... This can be found on Malkoff page for M61 and M61W:

"Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes in plastic lights may cause damage to the drop-in module. This is not an issue in metal lights."

M61WL (or M61L), however, don't have this problem and I've run M61WL in my G2 with aluminum bezel that I keep in my car for more than 30 minutes without any problems... it was only slightly warm and pleasant for my cold hands, winter night...

dss_777

Enlightened
Just to be clear, G2 bodies are metal-sleeved plastic (Nitrolon), and like the metal bezels, do not present an issue with thermal management like the all-plastic bezels do. You might want to read the whole quote again:

Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate at maximum brightness for tactical usage similar to the original setup. Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes in plastic lights may cause damage to the drop-in module. This is not an issue in metal lights or in plastic lights with a metal head.

M61 link

You're certainly correct that the L and LL drop-ins are quite safe in any G2. The only combinations people need to be concerned about are using the full-powered drop-ins in lights with the all-plastic bezels.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be right, M61 with it's outstanding heatsink with metal bezel could be enough to never encounter problems with overheating but to count that tiny sleeve isolated with Nitrolon as any help - I doubt it...

I'm planing to use M61W in C2 with Cryos bezel and Triad tailcap... Should be pretty safe even inside the active vulcano... :)

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm just gonna order a new Z44 from Oveready. Man they are INTO ME for some serious bucks now! And here I thought my other hobbies (Guns, PCs, Comicbooks) were expensive! :shakehead:)

I agree with srfreddy. Just get an AR coated 28x2mm lens and swap it with the plain glass in the Solarforce head. That's why the Z44 seems brighter - better glass... When it all comes down it it, the bezel is probably one of the least critical parts of a good P60 host. Sure, cooling fins probably help dissipate SOME heat, but nothing works like thermally bonding the drop in to the neck of the host body. Anyway, I know of someone around here who sells some mighty fine lenses for cheap! :naughty:

Last edited:

Bright Ideas

Newly Enlightened
Bringing this thread back to life with a question. I have a host body from a G2L, Malkoff M61wl, and purchased a Solarforce tactical head with the crenelated ring. I love the matte finish on the head with the black nitrolon body, but it will not even come on! And it has the rattle. Works fine with my Z44, but I really wanted the matte finish with no writing on it!! Any help is great.

msim

Enlightened
Re: Malkoff M61 & Solarforce bezel?

If I put a Malkoff drop-in in anything other than a 6P host, I need to use an outer spring from another P60 module. If it's too long with the whole spring, it usually works with the spring cut in half. Might help.