Fenix MC10 emitter swap

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
project I tried over the weekend.

swapped the XR-E from a Fenix MC10 with a High CRI XP-G i purchased from Craig at illuminationsupply.

I really like the adjustable angled head of this light. And find its a very useful desk/nightstand light.
but the cool tint is not to my preference. also, the UI sucks! LOL
the switch can also be improved upon. this light always finds a way to turn on by itself in my pockets. it happens fast and often... I just dont get it.:shrug:

90 CRI XPG is the best warm tint ive ever seen...ive had SST-90, XPG 7A2, quark warm, high CRI P4s.
and this tint is as close to an incan so far. beautiful orangey tint, w/o any hints of pink.

I really hope fenix decides to make another model using the adjustable angled bezel.
hopefully... using a single Cr123 for better center of gravity.
a different UI, and switch.
and a more shallow reflector or optic for a more floody beam.
and of course High CRI, or at least a warm/neutral tint option.
am I asking for too much? :devil:

Truely sorry for the horrible pics, I tried taking beamshots too, but the pics dont do the tint justice.

dsc00349y.jpg

dsc00350mo.jpg

dsc00357nq.jpg

I really didnt know what to expect when i started to open up the MC10.
a large size vise grip, and thick piece of rubber to crack open the bezel.
As I was threading off the bezel. I seem to have broke one of the wires that leads to the LED board.

after looking at it, seems the bezel/LED/reflector is assembled prior to the driver and switch from the factory.
I soldered about an extra inch and a half of wires to the original wires, to make it longer and easier for me to work on.
the black LED centering piece was also filed down alittle, so that the LED will sit closer to the reflector.

the original led board is about 1mm thick, and 10mm in diameter.
the 90CRI XPG from Craig, came on a 2mm thick board, and is 10mm in diameter.
So I sanded down the retaining piece which threads onto the buttom of the reflector. it holds the LED, board, and centering piece in the reflector assembly.

I twisted the wires about 6 times, so that when threading back on the bezel, it will end up straight. heheh

the beam now is smoother, with less throw as expected. but a much nicer tint, and better CRI.

Last edited: