New gen L1 runtime questions.

Draz

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone save there cr123's after their high drain lights fall out of regulation on them? I use to just toss them but recently after aquiring a L1 im wondering if saving those that will not run a light at high power and moon lighting the L1.

The new gen L1 gets 16 hours of runtime on low as per surefire's site. Does anyone know at what point they measure this. The old models got 90+ hours at 1.1 lumen so will these new ones moonlight anywhere close to 90 hours or eventually just shut off?

Also I wonder how efficient keeping those old lithiums are as extra bug out batteries when a moonlight mode is all we need to navigate a dark forest or house.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found both the L1 (6th/Current Gen.) and the E1B to run well on otherwise dead batteries. But, they tend to work on the higher setting and not the low. Even if you only get 10 minutes runtime off your dead batteries, on high, that can be used ALL NIGHT (momentary bursts) when used in addition to a long running battery vampire. Use you main light for primary Nav and the E1B/L1 on the dead battery for spotting, etc.

Draz

Newly Enlightened
my m61 dropped way out of regulation and I put each of the two batts in my L1.

One worked the L1 as normal, the other pretty much gave me about 5 lumens or less for both modes.

So when my high drain M61w is "dead" I can get alot of life from my L1 given that at least one of those batts runs it at full power, abiet for how long is unknown.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it depends on what the battery was used for. Even if the batteries are at the same voltage, if they were driven harder, they may or not provide enough juice. Also keep in mind, that on multi-cell lights, the the battery usually closest to the lamp may lose voltage quicker than the other cells. I did notice that the E1B was able to use the lower cells and get more out of them than the L1. Also, the older gen L1's act the same. I can use them for about a week on casual use on a dead cell.

Last edited: